• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally started 5-ton Hauler.....F950

BrainP

After cruising around town in the stock 5ton for a couple months, i finally started the teardown for my hauler project.

IMG_1160.jpgIMG_1163.jpgIMG_1177[1].jpg

Last edited:

BrainP

IMG_1170[1].jpgIMG_1153[1].jpg so far things are fitting very well. i swapped the cooler assembly from the donor truck as well, and you would think the same guy designed both trucks. hopefully the superduty crewcab will be mocked up this weekend so i can start lining up/fabbing cab mounts. the plan is to get acan and stretched bed on it and get it running again as soon as possible. then start on on air ride suspension. ill keep pics coming. as long as i dont get crusified for cutting up a great MV. :-D

BrainP

Just a quick look at what i started with and the need for a hauler. Loaded down the trailer is around 20klbs. the dodge did the job with plenty of power, but the braking was another story. the 5ton doesnt even feel it. now i just want some comfort in the cab and room for passengers. most of our trips are within 6hrs, but im thinking about stretching that out a little. i have til next june to get this done for a 40th b-day party at Pismo.

IMG_0850[1].jpgIMG_0761[1].jpg

BrainP

yes, down the road. i want to get it rolling as soon as possible, then ill tackle the suspension. i might take out a couple leafs first until i get to that point. even toying with the idea of an air ride cab.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please toy with the idea of using your shift key to capitalize.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Subscribed......I once bought a 1960 International Travelette (crew cab) to put on a deuce but it ended up having far too many rust issues. I think there have been a couple of folks on here that had put a civy cab on an MV. I would seriously consider the air ride cab and air ride seats. Five tons can be tough on rough roads.

BrainP

IMG_1186[1].jpgIMG_1187[1].jpg

Just need to slide it into place. All the mounts are lining up real good. Mounting it seems to be the easy part. The joy of wiring in all the luxurys of the cab will be fun. I really wish I had 3 more feetof head space in the new shop so I would have been able to use the truck crane, buts its on there.

BrainP

I started off with the idea of finding the right truck to do a 4x4 conversion on. I wanted the 8.3 cummins and an allison. When I priced out the cost of the truck and the cost of a conversion it was just to much. So far, the 5ton, the 4 door cab from a F250, a complete F650 with 24'box to pull parts from, and 2 longbeds to splice, Im still under $15k.

Motiracer38

That is going to be beastly, I love it! Are you keeping all three axles or dropping one of the rears? How is the bed going to work with your 5th wheel? It doesn't look like much bedrail clearance.

A couple weeks ago I was at Pismo and there was a guy running around in an M923A2 with the rollcage top. He didnt look like he was having a problem getting around. Kinda drove like a douche through camps but the truck was staying on top of the sand. Pismo is exactly the reason my 4wd motorhome is getting an MV start.

BrainP

I was going to drop one, but I decided I like going far off the highway so Im keeping it. I am going to widen the bed and tailgate, and taper it in at the cab instead of using a dually fender flare. Ill notch it and put a seam in so I can pull off a section to clear the trailer, and pin it on with the tailgate when Im not towing to have a full bed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks