• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally got me a CUCV!

Bownut

Been trying to score one through the local base (Fort McCoy, WI) for about 3 years as I'm a big Blazer nut. I've owned 6 civilian version over the years and I currently have an '84 out of California I've been redoing. But I've been a cheap skate and looking for just that right price on a CUCV version. I've been on the site a couple times for info as I purchased a trailer a few years back, but finally got the chance to grab a M1009 this last week, so back digging for info on that now. Didn't really have a "need" for it, but more of a want! If I can get it going, which I don't think will be a problem, I'll be using it for my plow truck and just run around vehicle.

They had three this particular week and the ad for this one read 48K and won't start with jump. Video showed no batteries and a starter laying on the floor. All three were comparable shape. The other two were at $1K and this one was at only $580 so I threw a bid in of $620 and somehow got it! Never seen them go for less that $1K for basket cases around here or $1500 for a rough one in runing condition. Guess I got lucky. Once I got it home I gave it a bath and an initial assessment:

1. By looking at the engine bay, this really appears to be a 48K mileage one versus 148K. Very clean
  2. Goodyear Wrangler tires as usual. One tire is brand new, three are easily 80%, and another one was in the back for spare had a good 50% tread life left.
  3. Floor is solid. Only rust is in the rockers, a little by the rear driver wheel well and some on the rear gate.
  4. Interior is great shape with no tears in any of the seats….again, more of what you’d see in a low miles one.
  5. Entire dual exhaust is brand new
  6. Hood is marked “missing starter and batteries”….obviously!
  7. Front driveshaft is in the back, appears only broken u-joint.
  8. Frame is not crusty at all so doesn’t appear to be something from around here.
  9. All the fluids are topped off and look good
  10. No hack jobs on the electrical were evident
  11. Interior is the correct OD, which I'll paint the exterior to match as I have two gallons of the military OD on hand

So now that it's clean I'll be pulling it into the shop to start digging in. Looks like a fun project!

No post is good without pics, though, so here you go......

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since it was operational, look it over closely for forklift damage. Transmission housings are commonly broken from this.

Can't wait to see the pics(when posted on our site, I don't click on outside links).

Great price, patience pays.

Bownut

Can't wait to see the pics(when posted on our site, I don't click on outside links).
I'll have to look back at the picture criteria for posting here. I posted the picts just as I do with other sites I'm on (IMG link from photobucket), but they cam up as the link, not the picture.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.. I posted the picts just as I do with other sites I'm on ...
This site isn't like any of the others...... :mrgreen:

The owner of this site wants to hosts the pictures here. The reason being is that if a thread is started (with pics) and then the posted deletes his PB pictures the thread ends up being useless. I can't tell you how many times I have looked something up, only to find the pictures are long gone.

Bownut

Definitely makes sense. I too hate it when your on an old thread looking for picts (other forums I go to) and only see red "X"s because the person has deleted them from say their photobucket album.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks