• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 wo/w maximum safe side drive angle

NMSMITTY

I have been trying to find out what the maximum side to side angle is for my truck. Not trying to push it but figured it would be good to know when going along the side of hills so that it does not become an issue. would hate to put it on it's side. I haven't come across it yet and if anyone knows where to find it I would appreciate it.
Thanks from Southern New Mexico!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, you can lean it over all the way just before it tips. Sorry. Could not help it.

In fact, there is a stability study:
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA255507

On page 11, the report states that 25 degrees is "about half" the angle required to tip the truck over - so, you are looking at around 50 degrees. This is i n c r e d i b l y stable. I would have guessed significantly less.
In fact, you will be falling out of your seat way before that, unless buckled in. 50 degrees sideways is sphincter-grabs-seat-cushion-kinda-scary!

Singles, taller tires likely influence the centre of gravity, also any load you might be carrying and, in real life, driving dynamics because you are articulating axles etc.
I'd use these angles with caution.

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have had an inclinometer in my trucks since December 2000 for a bit of assurance. Note difference between degrees and percentage of slope measurement in the manuals.
2009 1224 xm757 inclinometer.jpg

jdknech

I slid my m35A2 (on singles) down a (very wet, and soggy) hill sideways once... I am not sure what the angle of the hill was, but it is enough that nobody in the family will take a tractor across it sideways, we bushhog it up and down... but anyways, the field at the bottom was flooded with about 7-10ft of water.. so when i started sliding i was freaking out, after about 15-20 foot down the hill (keep in mind that this is sideways) i found a stump with passenger step/battery box, and the driver side of the truck came off the ground, and i started to go over.. into 7-10 feet of water (thought i was dead at this point) God must have been watching, because it sat back down... i proceeded to shut it off, and changed my pants.. lol it sat there for 2 months till the field was dry again, and i cut the stump down, and drove it out... needless to say, I dont push my luck with side slopes anymore..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks