• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Torque rod removal

dwhite

Anybody have a good method of removing the torque rod off of the spring anchor? The nut was easy to get off, but the tapered shaft doesn't want to budge.

On the axle end you can't get a good square hit on the shaft due to brake components in the way. Remove the axle bracket. The other end or the torque rod should pop loose with a good hit or two. Once its out you can get a good hit on the bracket end.

You hit the part(with a hammer) that has the tapered hole in it, not the tapered shaft.

Like this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpAwM2xH-IU
Would be nice if it were that easy. If it works, you got lucky.
I tried that too attempting to remove a torque rod.
The back side of the shaft has a 3/4" square hole in it. Rattled it back and forth with an impact wrench. Still no go.
I'm not a fan of the BFH but there are places where it works.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was way too easy, and potentially misleading! For a deuce I found it required a method to load the joint with a pry bar, while striking the tapered hole part repeatedly with a 3lb mallet. Soldier B is sometimes required for applying a pure two handed hammer swing.

Rick

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, obviously a truck torque rod is bigger and will require more than the love tap demonstrated in the video(on a car).

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you ever have to strike the tapered shaft, leave the nut on at the end of the threads, to protect the threaded end from becoming mushroomed or otherwise damaged.

Don't recommend it, but as a last resort, it works...make sure the flat surface of the nut is level with the end of the threaded shaft first.

w3azel

^If you leave the nut on make sure its flush with the top of the threads and not sticking out some. I didn't make sure it was flush but by the third hit it was. Had cracked the nut and had to torch it off because my sockets couldn't fit it after it cracked and the shaft wouldn't push through it.