• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wndshield Washer Performance?

donalloy1

Recently rebuilt Washer Pump and still not getting what I would like for distance from nozzles. Do not know how well they worked when new? Maybe you all can help me with that part?

Instead of steady flow from nozzles it pulsates from them. Plenty of volume but just gets fluid to screen JUST above Wipers when in stowed position. Works OK but want better!

Maybe I need to replace Pump completely?

Thought if I crimped nozzle ends down a little maybe they would squirt further? Just a thought...

Your input is greatly appreciated as always. DMLII sends respectfully

evldoer

The squirters on my truck do the same thing, just kind of peters out. I do like your idea of crimping the nozzles down some. That just might give them enough pressure to reach farther up the windshield.
You could also try clamping off one side of the hose with a small vice grip so you only have one squirter working just to test out to see if it squirts farther with only one working. Then do your crimping if that checked out???

What are folks using for a replacement pump? Mine is just unbearable and downright unsafe. I've tried everything and am just going with a replacement.

The previous owner put an 88+ pump and reservoir in my 1009. It has worked well. Far more pressure than the stock 80's C/K pumps.

About 2 months ago, my nozzles were completely gummed up with crud (no fluid would come out of either side). I took them off and pried the nozzles open a little bit to clean them out. They spray a lot of fluid out on the windshield now. I still need to adjust the passenger side a little it sprays closer to the roof.

You could maybe replace the tubing with smaller tubing to increase the pressure. Just a thought...I'm no hydraulic engineer.

MarcusOReallyus

You could maybe replace the tubing with smaller tubing to increase the pressure. Just a thought...I'm no hydraulic engineer.

No, that's the last thing you want to do. A restriction at the nozzle might work, but smaller tubing will just reduce the pressure available at the schnozzola.

I like the replacement with the '88 suggestion. Might do that myself....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the "old days", you just wired in a 12v pump from napa.

Yours sounds like it is working just fine. Remember, it was designed before MTV was.

rivcrazy2000

I did the universal pump from Napa. Took 5 minutes, cost $23, and has worked for a year and a half now just great. Mount the pump, take the wires off the original pump, stick them on the new pump, put the tubing on the appropriate ends and you're good to go. Very good work-around for an otherwise more expensive and complicated fix. My fluid blasts up right in the middle of the wiper sweep.

48cj2a

Very nice writeup! :beer:

I prefer spraying from the stock nozzle location, myself, but that's a clean conversion.
I've been doing Civilian GM Factory upgrades to CUCV without detering from the Military appearance. Gaing creature comforts and greater safety when possible.

The spray comes right out with the wiper blades but for those that do not want to do the nozzle conversion just grap the washer jug with wiring and hose to ensure you have enought length.

donalloy1

I want to thank you all for the input! My ultimate goal is to lay down a good spray over windscreen. Time to digest what I have here and apply what I have learned. Thanks again, DMLII sends respectfully

milradioman

Great ideas; you solved a couple of issues I was going to get around to changing, I like the adjustable seat idea, especially without replacing the entire seat. I was just looking at the LED website this morning trying to decide if I want a bright white for better viability or the red back light to give it the mil look. Great pictures and description.

I did the universal pump from Napa. Took 5 minutes, cost $23, and has worked for a year and a half now just great. Mount the pump, take the wires off the original pump, stick them on the new pump, put the tubing on the appropriate ends and you're good to go. Very good work-around for an otherwise more expensive and complicated fix. My fluid blasts up right in the middle of the wiper sweep.
I'm going to do this tomorrow. Does anyone know why are there 2 harnesses to the pump when only 2 wires, pink and white, are necessary?

One set for the wiper motor, one for the pump solenoid, and maybe something for the parking circuit?
I don't see one in the TM's though. 10-11 of the unit maint. manual doesn't show it. The parking function makes sense. So, I'm guessing pull the one plug, strip, rewire to the new pump and keep the other one hooked in without removal? Wish I could actually find out what is what with that upper plug. Doesn't even show on the diagrams.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks