• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Rebuild

The Baron

I have a 1984 m1009. I was wondering if anyone knows of or had good luck with any particular 24 volt starter rebuild kit. Please don't bother posting if you are just going to tell me to take it to the shop. Thanks.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You didn't tell us what starter you have. The direct drive or the gear reduction.

www.aspwholesale.com

They have a 24v kit for both the 27MT and the 28MT. You need to call them to get the correct one.

Last edited:

Hasdrubal

They sent what they thought were the right bushings. As the diagram shows..there are quite a few different sizes listed. Hard to believe the armature shaft diameters could be so different, unless it was turned on a lathe and would then require an over sized bearing. If you rebuild the starter yourself, could you measure the diameter of the armature shaft on the Commutater end. Thanks!

GreggVA

I am on the same quest here and was getting ready to order from ASP. Their shop is closed until 06Jan2014. I already have my starter (27MT) off my 1985 M1009 and sitting in the garage. I may go ahead and start the tear down process. I had no shim on my starter when I removed it so wondering if I need to find one before I try the reinstall process.

Here is mine so far.

27mt starter.jpg

Anyone know of other good reliable sources for starter rebuild kits for the 24v 27mt?

Last edited:

Hasdrubal

I think only the early years around 83-84 needed a shim. The latter use a no shim design housing. You can see the words cast onto the Drive end housing. If yours worked before and you had no shim, you wont be needing one.

Attachments

GreggVA

They sent what they thought were the right bushings. As the diagram shows..there are quite a few different sizes listed. Hard to believe the armature shaft diameters could be so different, unless it was turned on a lathe and would then require an over sized bearing. If you rebuild the starter yourself, could you measure the diameter of the armature shaft on the Commutater end. Thanks!
I pulled mine apart and measured the cummutator end (away from the pinion gear) and it measured 0.560 inches. I found a local rebuilder here that carries the 24V parts and seemed to know about the vehicles so I am going to have him test it and buy some parts. Maybe a source for others in the future.