• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Michelin 1600xr20 xzl

bigdogdale

Does anyone know what the speed rating is on Michelin 1600xr20 xzl tires? I'm running Goodyear 1600r20 a2 tires now with a speed rating of 55 mph. However my truck will run 70 mph comfortably, I had the tread separate @ 60 mph on a rear tire recently and things got pretty exciting immediately thereafter. I'm unsure if excessive speed or some other factor like a puncture or low pressure may have contributed to the failure. On another note, I also had 14 oz of beads in each tire, if that means anything. The truck in question is a 94 Ford F700 4x4 with Rockwell axles, 6.14 gear ratio, Eaton 6 speed overdrive, and a 14' Uhaul box converted to a camper. I don't feel this is much of a load for a 30k gvw truck. Powered by a 5.9 Cummins, it runs very well. Also, I have a 310 gallon fuel capacity which contributes to overall weight, but I still think the truck is nowhere near capacity. Maybe I should weigh it! LOL. I'm hoping the slightly taller Michelins have a higher speed rating as I could use a small reduction in rpms @ highway speeds. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Kalashnikov

you got any pics of this beast? I'd love to get a 4x4 F700 with the 5.9 and throws some 1600s on it.

ivbeenrokd

I've run my 15.5R20s 60+ regularly with no issues, for what it's worth. As everything else on military vehicle I think things are conservatively rated. Not to mention I'm never getting close to the max weight capacity of the tires, matter of fact not even half way there!

bigdogdale

IMAG0013.jpg. The tailgate is raised/lowered with two winches. The spare is also mounted on a winch. I can let the tailgate down to horizontal and then lower the spare. The tailgate is also known as the "REDNECK DECK". When I lower it all the way, I can use my atv ramps to load my bike. ( the table and bed fold up against the wall.) I also have a small parlor wood stove in the right rear corner. There's a built in window A/C unit, a bbq pit, and a 3000.watt Honda generator. Two 80 gal fuel tanks outboard of the frame rails under the deck. Hope to get an 80 gal water tank between the frame rails as well. It's a work in progress and although it's not "military", most of what I've done was inspired by all of you great guys here on S.S. Thank you!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks