• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Prototype 5 ton 6X6 M956

Cdub

Hey Guys;

Through my searches I have made some contacts here and there. One fella
has emailed me several times about some MV's he has come across for sale
thinking I might be interested in buying one from him , but in a very nice kinda
way.........

Me and Steelsoldiers have email back and fourth a couple of times and we both
agreed that you guys would just love to check it out.

I have no ties to this truck what so ever. I'm looking for my M925A1/A2. Nor
am I associated with the sale of this truck. I received the info via email only. I do
have some contact info if anyone is interested in buying or finding out more
info about the truck.

This truck is FOR SALE........but not by me.

Check out the pic and enjoy.

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's a pretty cool looking prototype truck. I always enjoy seeing the early features vs. the final production features. I would love to see some photos of the entire truck sometime. Maybe your source can get us some more photos C'dub?

I have been looking at the pics trying to come up with all the differences. Here's what I have so far:
- sharper lines on the hood center hump
- different air brake actuators
- different rear spring packs
- early bed with composite lights mounted below
- early super single wheels & 12.00 or 14.00x20 NDTs
- antennae mounts on bed-sides
- oversized mud flaps
- smaller rear bumperettes
- smaller frame rails
- rear shocks

Acoording to David Doyles research for the Standard Catalogue, the first 2 test trucks were built by AM General in the late 1970's. One was a cargo and one was a tractor. I am not sure where the 956 designation came from. The data plate says Cab & Chassis, but those were designated M942 and M944. The initial contract was awarded to AM General and production started in 1982. It's possible that this was a pre-production truck built by a competitor in 1980. The one odd thing about the data plate is that the numbers for the model, ID, and date of delivery appear to be stick-on labels instead of stamped.

Thoughts anyone?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a deuce chassis + deuce bed! Seems to even have the deuce drive line & axles, only wider and fitted with longer shafts, special hubs and... air brakes!

Interesting how those shocks on the front rear would do? Something I've had in my mind for years!

Would love to see more detail pics...!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
gringeltaube said:
Interesting how those shocks on the front rear would do? Something I've had in my mind for years!...
quote]

As you know, leaf springs have built-in damping because of friction between the leaves. When fewer leaves are used additional damping may be (or is) required.

Cdub

timntrucks said:
yes we need more pics to see this awsome truck, where is it located at?
I believe the M956 to be located in Newark, Delaware

Sorry, these were the only pic that were sent to me... :(

unless there's a local Stealsoldier........???

C'dub

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe this truck was purchased from Dave Newman, but I might be mistaken. Perhaps, Dave will post a few pics.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck looks new! Wonder what it's got under the hood? I've seen the bar mounted on the grill somewhere before.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
gringeltaube said:
That's a deuce chassis + deuce bed! Seems to even have the deuce drive line & axles, only wider and fitted with longer shafts, special hubs and... air brakes!

Interesting how those shocks on the front rear would do? Something I've had in my mind for years!

Would love to see more detail pics...!
Gringeltaube, what makes you think they are deuce axles? I wouldn't think they would use deuce axles on a 5-ton prototype. They have 10-lug hubs and the air-brake backing plates look similar to mine.

I have emailed the owner for some more details. I will post up any info when I get it.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know, it doesn't make sense and I might be wrong, it's hard to tell just from those pics. Axle housings and propeller shafts look skinny for 5tons. Diff. 3rd would be turned around 180º though. Many other things are different. Axle shaft flanges aren't std deuce neither 5tons.
Lets wait 'n see what else you can find out.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Hi guys - I'm in the process of moving - just got back on line - MANY boxes of books, photos and files yet to unpack.

That being said - it sure looks like the "M number" - and the date of delivery - shown in the photos was created with a peel and stick Dymo label maker rather than embossed in metal. So, I'd not be too excited about tracking info based on those.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cranetruck said:
As you know, leaf springs have built-in damping because of friction between the leaves. When fewer leaves are used additional damping may be (or is) required.
Mmmmmh....yes, I agree but...... I've always noticed a certain tendency for "wheel hopping" of the fr. rear axle on our std. tandems w/multi-leaf packs. Specially when unloaded, in soft dry sand but also on road, even on a smooth highway at 50-55mph.
Since this happens because of the f/r axle trying to lift up under forward traction, I guess a pair of shocks at 45º angle would help a lot to control that up and down bouncing without limiting suspension travel.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool looking truck! I especially like the wheels, they remind me of the early M35 combat rims that were pictured here not long ago....

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That is the same truck. The guy had 2 and sold one to Dave Newman. The other is still in his pole barn. It is a 939 prototype. The engine is a Cummins, but not a NHC250 or 8.3. I am working on finding out what it is. The tranny is an auto, but is an odd-ball and may be difficult to find parts for. The labels were applied to the plate by the owner. The radios and antennae are add-ons. I will post up when I get some more info.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Turns out the engine is a 3208 CAT. I am guessing this is another BMY prototype with the 3208 and Allison auto. It came out of the Aberdeen Proving Grounds, which is pretty nifty.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a pic from Dave Newman's site. It is a 939 prototype. It has louvers in the side of the hood instead of the re-enforcing ribs. Looks like the same truck.

Attachments

country

Supporting Vendor
The truck you have was and still may be owned by steve roberts in DE

I bought one from him, and sold it to a super nice guy in FL. He had us paint it 383 green

If anyone buys this truck from steve, a freindly caution. check the VIN#, compare it to the title, and if you are satified make sure you take your title and truck with you WHEN YOU PAY.

The trucks are really fast, naturally aspirated 3208 cat, small allison auto, lots of fun, easy to drive. Hard to get parts for

should be worth about $10,000 +/-

Hope ths helps

Dave

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks