• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Front axle and brake service.

Rusty nuts

All 6 hubs have an inner and outer seal. The steer axle has 2 additional seals in the axle tube behind the steering knuckles. These keep gear oil inside the axle tube.
The steer axle does not have an outer seal under the Spindle nut like the drive axles do. The front has the seal that is on the spindle that seals against the inner bearing and the seal in the retail at the end of the axle tube.

welldigger

Hmm interesting. Every truck I have serviced has had both inner and outer seals in the steer axle. I can see how the outer seal isn't nessissary since gear oil isn't supposed to be present in the steering knuckle.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice write-up THANKS. I had an inner seal that was bouncing around on the drive shaft, which allowed the moly grease previously packed into the knuckle to migrate into the differential and contaminate everything. Moly is nearly impossible to remove from porous iron and steel castings, by the way. The seal was loose because the retainer was made poorly. The new seal pushed into the retainer with my thumbs, so I peened the retainer a bit to keep the seal in place. Wonder how the last guy let that go?

If you have a specific method of removing and re-installing the brake shoe return springs, or a specific tool you used for that, it would be good to post it. They are quite strong (I haven't pulled any of mine yet).

Last edited:

Rusty nuts

If you have a specific method of removing and re-installing the brake shoe return springs, or a specific tool you used for that, it would be good to post it. They are quite strong (I haven't pulled any of mine yet).
I just used a pair of Snap-On brake pliers #131A that I have had for years, a little small for the Deuce brakes, but big enough to do it. The spiral hook end twists into the spring end and then the big hook gets set in a shoe rivet, squeeze and it stretches the spring right out, takes about 3 seconds and no cursing.

IMG_3353.jpg

ATPTac

Nice write-up THANKS. I had an inner seal that was bouncing around on the drive shaft, which allowed the moly grease previously packed into the knuckle to migrate into the differential and contaminate everything. Moly is nearly impossible to remove from porous iron and steel castings, by the way. The seal was loose because the retainer was made poorly. The new seal pushed into the retainer with my thumbs, so I peened the retainer a bit to keep the seal in place. Wonder how the last guy let that go?

I have a Snap-On drum brake tool: http://store.snapon.com/Brake-Spring-Tools-Tool-Brake-Spring-for-Bendix-P636110.aspx I'm pretty sure that's the one I have at least, its not directly in front of me. But I used that in conjunction with some pliers to get the springs off and on. Rusty nuts tool that he pictured would more than likely be better suited for the job, but either will work. I can also be done with pliers and some muscle, not as easy but it can be done.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a Snap-On drum brake tool: http://store.snapon.com/Brake-Spring-Tools-Tool-Brake-Spring-for-Bendix-P636110.aspx I'm pretty sure that's the one I have at least, its not directly in front of me. But I used that in conjunction with some pliers to get the springs off and on. Rusty nuts tool that he pictured would more than likely be better suited for the job, but either will work. I can also be done with pliers and some muscle, not as easy but it can be done.
I have the Snap-On brake tool you have and I have the Lisle version as well: http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=7&division=1&category=1

They both work well for brake springs.

TruckGuy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey ATPTac, Nice write up! Good to see the info with the pics. Wish I had known, I could have drove over and helped... or at least watched and worked the camera.

ATPTac

Hey ATPTac, Nice write up! Good to see the info with the pics. Wish I had known, I could have drove over and helped... or at least watched and worked the camera.
I'll shoot you a PM next time we get to work on it. Might have to find a new place to do it though. We were at my father in laws because he has the flattest driveway from everyone I know, and one of his neighbors called the city and they came out and put one of the dreaded orange stickers on the window... We called the guy who put the sticker on the window asking what we were being cited for and he said it was a "commercial vehicle parked in a residential zone". We told him it as privately owned and not commercial and his response was "Well, its a little big to be parked in a neighborhood". So yeah, I don't feel like getting into a battle with the city of Charlotte over this, especially when its not even my house. This is a whole other can of worms I don't want to get into right now, but that's the gist of it.

ATPTac

I'm doing this in the spring. Thanks so much for the "for dummies" version!
Its really not that bad of a job, its a little intimidating going into it if you don't have experience working on these things. Once you start digging into it, its really quite easy. Its as time consuming as you want to make it. I took longer doing it than most people probably would because I decided to be overly anal about cleaning off 35 years of dirt, grime, and grease that a lot of people probably would have left.

welldigger

Its really not that bad of a job, its a little intimidating going into it if you don't have experience working on these things. Once you start digging into it, its really quite easy. Its as time consuming as you want to make it. I took longer doing it than most people probably would because I decided to be overly anal about cleaning off 35 years of dirt, grime, and grease that a lot of people probably would have left.
Degreaser and a pressure washer work wonders for cleaning axle and brake parts.

ATPTac

Degreaser and a pressure washer work wonders for cleaning axle and brake parts.
I actually have a 5 gallon bucket of Purple Power that I was going to use, but after evaluating the space we were working in (very little concrete with grass and shrubs surrounding) I didn't want to make a huge mess or ruin the yard seeing how it wasn't at my house. Ended up going through a lot of brake clean and shop rags along with some steel brushes to help.

peashooter

I couldnt believe how many spray cans of brake cleaner (and then eventually diesel fuel, and then brake cleaner again) I went through just with flipping my hubs due to some leaky seals. With a full brake job coming up I decided to order these things off amazon to save some money. A pressurized sprayer and gallon of brake cleaner.

EDIT** I also have one of these sprayers for WD-40 too. It works well except when it gets really cold here... WD-40 (from the bulk gallons) partially freezes and turns to slush so it won't spray unless I let this thing warm up in the house for a bit:)

Attachments

Last edited:

welldigger

I couldnt believe how many spray cans of brake cleaner (and then eventually diesel fuel, and then brake cleaner again) I went through just with flipping my hubs due to some leaky seals. With a full brake job coming up I decided to order these things off amazon to save some money. A pressurized sprayer and gallon of brake cleaner
Why do you think I used a pressure washer? Soak everything in water and dawn dish soap. Then pressure wash it clean. I woulda gone broke using just brake cleaner. Even one of those crappy electric pressure washers would do the job.

peashooter

Why do you think I used a pressure washer? Soak everything in water and dawn dish soap. Then pressure wash it clean. I woulda gone broke using just brake cleaner. Even one of those crappy electric pressure washers would do the job.
yep, but my kids would end up with grease all over them from playing in the yard......again:) (I used a pressure washer and simple green to clean a transmission off after I pulled it off the deuce 2 years ago:) )
Pressure washer is a great idea for some people, but not for all of us city dwellers

Last edited:

welldigger

Also, forgot to mention, those pressurized spray bottles are awesome. I keep wd-40 in one. I get that stuff in the bulk 1 gallon containers. No more half full cans with no propellant left. aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks