• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ISU 60 & 90 Storage Container; shelving brackets

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just acquired an ISU 60 - 4 door shipping container...
ISU box.jpg
Does anyone have or know what brackets fit the tracking in walls on the inside?
ISU brackets.jpg

I bought a standard "CLOSETMAID" shelf bracket from the hardware store but the 'hooks' are too narrow and there isn't enough material in the bend to open them up to fit.

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope it is as simple as this:- Read a label on the box - went to website - got a phone number - await a quote, assuming that they are sold to civi's...
ISU Accessories.jpg
They have a million accessories; wheels, towbar, straps, brackets, dividers, shelves, trays, parts cabinets, de-hum units, mini access doors, even a repair tool kit in a Hardig type box!

Thought I'd add this pic from the manufacturers site - just 'cause it's cool.
ISU Helo load.jpg

Not expecting any price miracles on the shelving brackets - the CLOSETMAID ones arent cheap either....

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pics? Something I can fab from decent dimensions maybe?

You know - there is a real nice brewery near me!!!!!!! :wink:

1800 Diesel

Just acquired an ISU 60 - 4 door shipping container...

Does anyone have or know what brackets fit the tracking in walls on the inside?

I bought a standard "CLOSETMAID" shelf bracket from the hardware store but the 'hooks' are too narrow and there isn't enough material in the bend to open them up to fit.
The brackets that I have (that came with containers I bought) don't look like your photo. The shelves provided with those containers are made from 3/4" plywood & they have an aluminum channel installed around the shelf's perimeter. The brackets are "double layer", roughly 2 1/2" square and about 1" "thick" due to being doubled over (or pressed/swaged). I posted a similar question awhile back and someone posted a photo of the brackets used in these containers.

Hopefully the NSN you found is the correct item. I could use several too. :)

Kevin

PS: Just to get one of mine set up with shelves I used treated 2x6 pieces through-bolted in the walls with galv carriage bolts.

Kevin

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"E'gar - your skin is hanging off your bones"......

"Is that better?"....
ISU shelf 'clip'.jpg

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brackets Available - Who's In?

OK - I have heard from "the man" that these are available to us civis.
Can get them in packs of 4 (4 needed per full shelf) not sure if volume packs will be available.
Don't know the price yet. He thought possibly $8 a set. I will post in this thread when I find out. Then when I get a load, I'll put it in the classifieds for anyone interested , or as a sig line.

[NB. Shelves are 3/4' ply with an aluminium channel wrapping the full perimeter - but you can do what ever.]

ISU shelf 'clip'.jpg

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy Gold Plated Hammer Batman

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised - after all their main customer is Uncle Sam....

The quote I got was for 100 brackets.....

at $7:31 each! That's almost $30 a shelf
..... thats before you buy the shelf! Then they added $75 ontop for freight to me!!
Silly little stamping that the power press probably spits out hundres a minute!

So I guess this thread just died big time. Sadness. :evil::evil:

storeman

They sure look a lot like heavy duty commercial retail shelf supports. Try the canned goods aisle at your grocery and see if you can borrow one from the store to test it. I had hundreds of them when I closed my tackle shop but sold and/or scrapped them. Design varies a bit by manufacturer. Mine were made by Manhattan. Sorry.
Jerry:beer:

1800 Diesel

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised - after all their main customer is Uncle Sam....

The quote I got was for 100 brackets.....

at $7:31 each! That's almost $30 a shelf
..... thats before you buy the shelf! Then they added $75 ontop for freight to me!!
Silly little stamping that the power press probably spits out hundres a minute!

So I guess this thread just died big time. Sadness. :evil::evil:
Too bad....stupid me--I thought you meant $8 for a set of 4, since that what a shelf section needs. Oh well my 2x6 config works well so I'll just cut out several more for additional shelves... :)

Kevin

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kevin - yeah even $8 for a set is crazy! Keep an eye on this thread... I will not be defeated, there has to be a way...

They sure look a lot like heavy duty commercial retail shelf supports. Try the canned goods aisle at your grocery and see if you can borrow one from the store to test it. I had hundreds of them when I closed my tackle shop but sold and/or scrapped them. Design varies a bit by manufacturer. Mine were made by Manhattan. Sorry.
Jerry:beer:
Thanks Jerry - that at lease gives me another avenue search down.... Trouble is knowing what that system or that bracket is called.. Getting a load of cr@p when I try to search brackets, racking, shelving, warehouse, double track, blah blah etc.

I have even put a quote into a local Laser cut shop to see if it is worth me making my own. I'd press fold the blanks myself if they were cheap enough.

Still can't get over the Gvmt paying $7.31 for something that actually costs cents to make.

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fre@king awesome dude! What do you need for a cad drg? You have a bracket - can you do the drg or will the plasma table place have to do the drg - set up fee?.....

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a bracket, but I can't do the dWG. The friend that has it concentrates on duct work, so not sure he would have the time/want to learn a CAD program outside of his to learn? I will check next week when I am home again.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can draw - but old school. Not totally sure what CAD detailing would be other than movements of the cutting head from one coordinate to another in a series of X-Y points with allowance for the thickness of the kurf ____ :- blade, beam, plasma stream etc.

I have gotten a basic quote from a local waterjet/Laser place, but I'd 'like to do better' to compensate for the pressing into shape I'll have to do.

Keep me posted.

Last edited:

1800 Diesel

Kevin - yeah even $8 for a set is crazy! Keep an eye on this thread... I will not be defeated, there has to be a way........
Finally got a few minutes to shoot some photos of the block supports I made for one of my containers.

The wood is 2x6 treated (except for the 2x4 "spacer" connected to the center post). The 2x4 piece is needed to shim the support block far enough out to be under both (left & right side) shelves. The 2x4 spacer is screwed into the center post with 4 large wood screws & I think I also used wood glue. The large center fastener is a 1/2" lag screw. Obviously drill pilot holes to correct sizes for your fasteners.

The through-bolts are 3/8" galv carriage bolts. Not as pretty as the factory brackets but cost is minimal plus a little labor.

Adjust lengths of fasteners as needed. My carriage bolts were a little long but already had them in stock. For installing shelves on both sides of the center bulkhead, use longer bolts to install duplicate mounts on the far side. (That is assuming you want shelf spacing to be the same on both sides.)

Note: For future installations using the blocks, I will be adding stainless or galv flat washers under the carriage bolt heads to spread the compression load out a little more on the fiberglass wall skins.

Hope this helps those in the same boat I'm in--having containers & shelves but not enough steel shelf brackets.

Kevin

Attachments

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
'Hey' back at yuh! I missed Jim Thorpe too. Hopefully going to Red Ball/Sussex though.

Thanks for the heads up on the cutting dude. Will see what he can do though initially we are waiting to see what Pats friend with a plasma table can come up with as far as a unit price...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks