• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mntsnow's recovery and building of The Beast

davo727

I ran the gearing calculator again at 4lo website and using the 4th gear ratio of 1.27 at 2800 rpm I come up with 68 mph. So that's pretty cool to have 27% stronger gear ratio goin up a hill compared to 5th gear and still have 68 mph available (not that we would go that fast)

Gunzy

How can I turn up the governor on my NHC250? I don't want a lot, but 2500 rpm would be nice. I can only go 55 on 11.00X20s at 2100 rpm governed limit.

whiskey357

Banned
Well congrats on the new find.......getting the tires fixed is a must of course....diable the air system is a good thing to do right off the bat................Have with the new 5 ton toy....Happy mudding to you hehehe

Gunzy

I have a car show in Clearfield on Saturday. Plan on having the M923 w/M105 and my "75 Bricklin there.

MtnSnow

A small update.... picked up a M105A2 trailer (Johnson Corp out of Ohio built it July 1968 ) that is in decent shape with good 9.00x20 NDT tires on it. Also picked up a Hardtop for it which I hope to get installed this coming weekend. Also picked up a couple of NOS (2011 manufacture) XZL tires to replace a couple of my oldest XL tires. Oh I also got a used rim with a Goodyear AT2A tire that looks to be in good shape that was missing the short schrader valve but was able to get a replacement from Napa for 1.99 it was 1/8" MNTP. But it looks like the whole valve assembly is loose also, so I'm going to have to break down that tire/rim so I can tighten the nut on the inside of the rim. BUT I did get one of the tires changed out today that I wanted to do...What a freakin workout but I'm proud to say I did it all by myself. My bed mounted hoist made it nice to get the tires and wheel moved around as I loaded all of them into the bed of the beast (including the one that was in the bed of my pickup) so I can move the beast to my house from my storage yard so I have my air tools to do the others!

Bed Hoist -1.jpg IMG_20140417_141208012_HDR.jpg

Gunzy

And you don't want to forget Sat am for a tow bar and your led lights. See, I'm looking out for you. LOL

MtnSnow

Im real curious to see how the transmission acts, say if you select 3rd or 4rth gear and are at 2800 rpm if it will hold in the selected gear or upshift anyway.
Davo, The other day I was able to take the Beast out on the highway and I can tell you that I was able to place the shifter into the lower gears (3 & 4) and was able to hold that gear to the new governor speed! As such I can easily cause the over-speed speed light to come on, which in the Beast it comes on at about 50 mph indicated. I need to take my GPS with me next time and see how close the readings really are....

MtnSnow

Well got the other tires switched around so now I have the new XZL tires on both front positions and I got the nut tightened on the inside of the rim for the turret valve stem(s) that was loose on the spare rim/tire I picked up. Did get the hardtop installed but I've got to figure out how to adjust the cab/windows a touch to get them to line up better. I also prepped the truck for the summer by pulling the rear cargo cover & bows and got them stored in the storage shed. Hopefully I'll get the hardtop paint touched up tomorrow after work.

As for other work done I adjusted my air governor which was stopping at about 110/115 psi to 125/130ish psi. As well I adjusted the top fueling screw back in 1 turn as it was kickin out a touch more smoke than I want when pulling out from a stand still. So that puts me at about 2.5 turns from stock.

Attachments

Last edited:

MtnSnow

Well I forgot to get some pics but I will get them tomorrow after work or on Friday but I got the LED front & rear Turnsignals/BO markers/Stop lights installed. I need to paint them as the housings are tan if I choose to stay with the all green motif I seem to have settled on so far. I guess I'll paint them when I do the repaint of the hardtop now that I think we are to have a few days of nice weather as the rain has stopped and it's starting to warm back up so should be a nice Sunday project as I'm planning on a going on a motorcycle ride with my lovely bride that we usually do (it's an annual fundraiser ride that our local Harley dealer does/supports for a small mining town here in Utah) on Saturday...

Artisan

Mntsnow that is a very nice job. You should be proud of your workmanship.

The crane I picked up today I want to make movable between trucks and
trailers, I mean a 1500 pound crane needs to be mobile! I found a pic
of what I scored less the couple parts I will need to fab here

whiskey357

Banned
looking good so far .......keep the ctis system as it still works right????? have the wife get into the beast a few times.....My wife lovers our beast...M35A2.....not so hot about the stick shift......But she can jamn with the best when comes to hitting the hiway...going on a trip with the granddaughters this nxt month....Camping trip for Girl scouts....Orders and bitch list for fixing on the beast in hand already....I work this time, she plays with the girls oh well life is so simple and happy....married to the wife for 40 years well have fun this summer I think ..heheheh best of luck nice looking rig...

MtnSnow

Wow...Been awhile since I posted anything to my build thread....Well finally got some time away from work and told my better half that the beast was feeling neglected and that I was going to give it a little bit of love today so while she played with the pups and took it easy I brought the beast home for the day so I could work on it and get ready for a end of the season car/truck show so I finally got my NOS high-back Bostrom seat installed in place of the OEM seat that was pretty well worn out.
Bostrom_Seat.jpg

Then I installed the rifle mounts in the drivers side door and the passenger side dash.
Rifle-Door.jpgRifle-Pass.jpg
and the I remounted my antenna to the passenger side on the cargo bed so I could effectively use a tie-down on it as I didn't care for it on the fender. I still have a mount there which I will re-purpose to mount a true Ham radio antenna.
Antenna-Bed.jpg

MtnSnow

Started getting the Beast ready for the Veterans Day parade with some PM services that needed to get done.

First got the Oil changed and then proceeded to replaced the fuel filters (I have both the standard small filter that the 8.3L uses as well as the large canister filter under the drivers fender that the earlier model trucks have).

I do have to say I need to look into rebuilding or replacing the primer pump as it seemed to do nothing after wearing out my thumbs! (yes I opened the vent on the backside of the IP) but I was smart/lucky in that I had done the oil change first and of course from the starting and running of the truck before and after the oil change I had full air tanks, so I hooked up my glad-hand air hose and used a couple of my lint free shop towels and stuffed them in the fuel tank neck around the air chuck (still have the basket inside my filler neck) and pressurized my tank that way and was able to get the truck restarted after the filter changes.

Tomorrow I am going to pick up a Valve stem and install it in my filter cap and have easy fuel filter/priming for the future! Also I will go wash the truck and pick up a replacement Vent/Air filter that screws into the top of the power steering pump that must have worked loose and has been lost during my last outing to a car/truck show couple of weeks ago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks