• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mntsnow's recovery and building of The Beast

MtnSnow

Thanks Bro. I'll arrange a time to come snag them before next weekend as that is when I will get a chance to work on the 925 again.

MtnSnow

Wow I haven't updated these for a little bit but have gotten some minor stuff done on the Beast and Beast II. Let me see I went thru and did 4 tire swaps between the two trucks so now the 923 has all Michelin XZL tires and the 925 has all Goodyear AT2A tires including the spares. I do have a couple of Michelin XL tires as secondary spares that have some weather checking but still good enough to keep as spares.

Pulled the CTIS out of both trucks as I just don't use it and kept having issues with it in the 923 and it never worked in 925 (while pulling it out I found all kinds of issues so I'm glad I had decided to pull it). Still need to pull the airlines and the QRV's from both trucks in the future. Will post up the parts that I will have for sell in the near future. (Wheel valves, QRVs', Wiring harnesses, PCUs' & ECUs' (no hoses as they are trash/heavily cracked)

Installed another Camera system in the 925 just like I did for the 923 (earlier in the thread).

Tightened up the governor springs on the 925 three (3) clicks and it now is capable of free revving to 2600 rpm. Will see what it is capable of pulling this weekend while driving.

Upcoming projects.
Finish fluid & filter changes (Engine, Trans & TC, All 3 axles & the filter on the hydraulic system)
Procure two (2) replacement fill plugs for my front & front rear axles as they are severely rounded.
Need to make a couple of mounts for my upcoming radio & light switches that I will mount under my dash lip (Angle iron)
Pickup Hardtop & get it installed.
Straight Pipe both trucks.
Start prepping the 925 for a paint job.

MtnSnow

Well got home from Interop in Vegas and dove in and busted out a couple of tasks on the 925! Whew! I'm beat...

Installed an EGT probe and mounted the LED readout panel to the shift tower (still need to make an angled dash mount for it Like the one Those Military Guys offer for a cleaner look down the road)
EGTprobe.jpg

Mounted a 24v stereo and was able to find a couple of plastic housings that worked when cut down and they screwed right into bottom lip of the dash.
Also wired in a manual backup/override light switch to go along with the Reverse gear sending unit I installed (FYI...it's the same thing as an M35 brake light switch!). I did the manual switch so it allows me to turn on the backup lights without the truck running or being in reverse or it allows me to turn off the backup lights when in reverse for those times you don't want bright lights (Example for when in "camp" and don't need to light up other people's tents lol)
Multi-Mods.jpg IMG_20150501_163427594_HDR.jpg IMG_20150501_174422613_HDR.jpg IMG_20150501_174456568.jpg IMG_20150501_174515658.jpg

Also mounted an Antenna that I will be able to use with a CB
AntennaMount.jpg

Oh and I did pick up a couple of the diff fill plugs and got those rounded out ones replaced along with completing a full Oil & Filter service (Engine, Trans, TC, Diffs & Hyd system) Sure am glad I have an AITA membership as it saved me huge $$ at Napa for the filters & Oils! I also installed a Fumoto Drain valve in the engine oil pan to make future services less messy and easier!

I do have to say it's amazing how much faster it to do some of these things on the 925 after having learned tricks and such from doing them on the 923! lol

Last edited:

MtnSnow

Wow....Long time without any posts as I have just been enjoying and using the trucks but this past week I have started working on fixing a couple of small things to make getting thru the upcoming state safety inspections that are due for license plate renewals the end of this month (923) and the next (925). such as a clearance/running light that has stopped working (faulty ground) and next will be purchasing a replacement windshield wiper switch and get it put in and then the 923 will be ready. The 925 I just need to fix the air inlet on the passenger wiper motor as it has gotten broken somehow and replace the drivers side headlight as the low beam is shot and then it will be ready again.

As for some of the things I have done lately on the trucks is I pulled my old soft top off the 925 as the front edge has come apart at the stitching as they are notorious for doing and will get it dropped off to the upholstery shop to get re-stitched and then put into storage as I was able to procure another hardtop so now the 925 will be hard-topped like my 923.

Let me tell ya putting on a hardtop is a pain in the butt when you end up doing it all by yourself because you got the soft top off and THEN found out that the forklift I was going to use at my friends shop (where I store my trucks) was inoperable at this time.
Since I have a NOS hood for it to install (eventually when I do have some help handy!) to replace the rusty one currently on the truck, I ended up just he-man lifting/sliding the hardtop on to it and then climbed up on the hood and then lifted the back edge over the windshield and proceeded to slide it into place. Now that I think about it...this is probably when the air inlet tube got snapped on the passenger side wiper motor...Doh! lol

I need to find or make the J hooks as they were missing. Also I need to stop at the local nut & bolt store to get new fasteners for the back edge of the top to the cab along with some gasket/foam to sandwic h between the top & cab, but I was happy to get it up and into place because here in SLC we are expecting rain & snow showers tomorrow.

Edit fixed image upload

Attachments

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice work. I hope to have a hard top in the near future. Not looking forward to the install though.

A little advice on swapping the hood. Get some PB Blaster for the old bolts, some anti-seize for the new bolts and two small line-up bars. A Dremel with a small cutoff wheel will come in handy for the hard to reach bolts where the captured nut is seized and just spins. I insist on doing everything myself no matter how large but the hood swap was different. If I had to do it again, I'd have a helper. There's alot of curse words splattered inside the old hood...and the new one, lol.

I have NOS wiper control valves with the knob that'll be in the classifieds shortly, if your interested.

WYomer

How do you like the snorkel overall? Ever point it backwards? I'm in Wyoming so the same boat for weather, and drive mine about 1-2 times a week.

The snorkel, air cleaner, and fuel pump mods are my next item to get more response and some more power on steep climbs. I want it ready for camping and firewood cutting.

MtnSnow

How do you like the snorkel overall? Ever point it backwards? I'm in Wyoming so the same boat for weather, and drive mine about 1-2 times a week.

The snorkel, air cleaner, and fuel pump mods are my next item to get more response and some more power on steep climbs. I want it ready for camping and firewood cutting.
I like it. I ended up also putting one on my M923a2 so both have one. I have driven thru a couple of moderate rain storms and when I got back I pulled the filter cap and it was basically dry inside so very little water actually made it down the tube. It would really need to be a long drive in very heavy rain/snow for me at this point to get overly concerned and if it's raining that hard I'll put the weather sock on it or turn it backwards but I have yet to run into a situation where that was needed

Another Ahab

The Beast looks just awesome, MtnSnow, and I noticed that little green surrey you got there in the "motor pool" also; nice item:

- you a driver of two-in-hand or four-in-hand or something!?

surrey.jpg

Last edited:

MtnSnow

Good eye Ahab. Yes, I grew up on a ranch so we have horses & cattle. I personally have only done two but my dad could do a full 6 horse team which is a handful! The one you spotted is getting ready to be restored by my friends who own the place where I get to keep my trucks & trailers

Another Ahab

Good eye Ahab. Yes, I grew up on a ranch so we have horses & cattle. I personally have only done two but my dad could do a full 6 horse team which is a handful! The one you spotted is getting ready to be restored by my friends who own the place where I get to keep my trucks & trailers
Whoa! VERY cool.

MtnSnow

BTW I need to say Thank you! For bringing up some fond memories of my Dad for me today. When I was young I would love it when he would break out the one horse buggy and ride into town in it or even better was him taking my friends and our dates to one of our school dances in the stage coach with the full team. He's will have been gone from this earthly presences 10 years come July 16th but today because of the fond memories it takes me back 30-40 years like it was yesterday.

Another Ahab

My best regards to you about your Father, and my prayers here to your memory of him. He must have been quite man to handle a team of six!

And you just GOT to post a pic of that stagecoach if you got any, please? Any chance you got an old polaroid around or something?

MtnSnow

you just GOT to post a pic of that stagecoach if you got any, please? Any chance you got an old polaroid around or something?
I know we have some and worse case the next time I am down at the ranch I will snap a pic of it as it is kept in one of the sheds. We haven't used it in probably close to 20 years but my dad loved it so he never sold it but eventually sold off the team to one of our neighbors and neither my brother or I just don't have the time to put into keeping that going :(

Another Ahab

Oh, Man; I'll wait. You got me salivating now.

Just GOT to see a pic of that Coach.

And what's EXTRA great is that since this is your thread, I don't have to do any penance for drifting. Sweet!

confession.jpg

MtnSnow

You are absolutely correct! lol........Hmmm maybe I will have to find a old horse drawn military cannon someday!

WYomer

Well just re-registered for fleabay and got my snorkel on sale for $21. Then to Amazon for the 3.5-5 adapter and a WIX 4664 air filter. Thanks for posting up with pictures and leg work!

WYomer

Got the WIX filter on but I ordered a 3" snorkel instead of the 3.5" ( selected the wrong one). So I took the 5-3.5" adapter and welded a 3.5-3" adpater and cut it all down to look good. Looks just like yours but I was getting crappy air flow, popped the mushroom cap back on and my flow indicator dropped like a stone. So no snorkel for me I guess. I may save the adapter piece and use it as a snorkel base with an inner diameter or 4-5" and see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks