• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 Camp Shelby M1008 Restoration

rlltide12

After much research and reading I decided i needed to spend some money and bought a M1008. This 08 was a DPW truck in its day (Dep. Of Public Works) so it has been taken pretty good care of. 33k is on the clock. Brought it home, changed the ign cylinder so I could crank it, charged the batteries, dogheaded it, and it fired right up without a hitch. Here is a picture of it at Shelby. It already had the resistor bypass and GP relay completed. Much work to come. Stay tuned! Much thanks to goldneagle and csmdavis for convincing me to get one!

Attachments

rlltide12

Started breaking it down over the last two days. Door panels had been painted, so I sanded those down smooth and painted them with duplicolor bed liner spray can. Let me tell you. I am impressed. The texture looks factory. I also removed all the vinyl from the old dash pad and the cancerous foam. Now i have to get creative with refoaming the bad spots. After i get it like i want im going to cover it with black vinyl to match the door panels and seat.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, that's black bed liner spray from a rattle can? Could you post a pic of the can?

Looks good.

I love when a member runs a detailed thread on a new truck like this.

rlltide12

For people who have wore out door panels, i bet spraying this first then paint over it the original red would look incredible

rlltide12

I just went and bought the material to begin the dash restoration. Using black vinyl as the final top piece, and I was able to obtain some good foam from a local upholstry shop. What I am going to do is cut out the bad best I can, build up using the new foam and get everything straight. Once that is done I am going to use very thin headliner foam to uniformly cover the dash, then its time to make templates and sew up the new cover. More to come tonight!

MilChevyguy

I remember when expanding foam first came out...we used it on a 74 Chev Lemans dash to fill in the missing, cooked parts...than recovered with 3M Heavy Spray adheasive to attach the new vinyl layer, a heat gun is the wonder tool for streching and fitting the new vinyl skin.
The foam hardens to the same density and flex as the original stuff and you just shave it and shape it with a brand new razor or Xacto blade.

Just what I think Im going to try when the weather warms up here in the NORTH!!
Love the tread too...great to see CUCV restoration progress of all our members

rlltide12

Thanks for the encouragement but to h*ll with recovering that thing. Im going to order one from OER i guess. Mines way to sun damaged to fix

rlltide12

After looking at it and drinking a beer to think it over, i think im gona tear the foam off and fiberglass the metal frame smooth then try to cover it

richingalveston

If you are going to fiberglass it and then try to recover you might as well just get the LMC plastic cover for $100, I had one and it looked good, mine was black and I have painted my doors black. Until you touched it, you could not tell it was a hard plastic. you could probably paint it the same as your doors.
I changed mine back to OEM because I got lucky and got a good used one when I bought my 1008 parts truck.

rlltide12

I would consider that but I have already removed the foam from the frame. I am going to try glassing it and see how it looks. Ill have to wait to do that until next weekend, so this weekend I plan on stripping the seat out, wire brushing the entire interior that is now down to bare metal, and painting od green. If time allows, I am also going to bedline the floorpans, then its time for reassembly!

rlltide12

Scored a set of 16.5 stock chevy wheels and a set of 37" wranglers on the cheap, but now i have a question. I am going to order a lift kit in the coming weeks. Can I put these 37s on this truck stock as it sits? I am not going to move it much between now and the time I lift it, so basically its just going to sit in the yard. Anybody know?

rlltide12

Well it has been a while. Here are some photo updates.uploadfromtaptalk1392252449908.jpguploadfromtaptalk1392252505082.jpguploadfromtaptalk1392252548757.jpg

Hard to see but i have also bedlined the floor and the seat was repaired and is at the upholstery shop. I bought the OER urethane dashpad and i am more than happy. For 208 dollars from summit, great deal. More to come!

rlltide12

I also mounted two 4 inch speakers in the original 4x10 speaker hole. Had to do some trimming but they fit well. Should do the job

richingalveston

the truck will drive with 33 inch tires max with stock setup, it may be able to sit with 37's but any turning will be difficult because of fender rubbing. Your rim back spacing also makes a difference so you will probably just have to put them on and try. If it sits for a long time the tires will flat spot. keep it on jack stands if you want to leave them on during your build. Due to work, I had to stop my build and the truck sat for almost a year. I had to get new tires.

rlltide12

Front seat back from upholstery after i spent 4 hours fixing the seat frame. Pics in truck after today. Im forbidden to work on the truck today....uploadfromtaptalk1392414921985.jpg