• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vehicle drained

KaiserM109

When a particular GL site says "Vehicle drained", does that mean they drained the differentials, transfer case, transmission, engine, power steering? Surly not the batteries!!

Tin Medic

Kaiser, I was wondering the same thing when I saw that. I wouldnt be surprised if they drained engine fluids but diffs, tc and trans could be asking for trouble. It would have been towed onto the lot and they cant drain there.

KaiserM109

Why do they do that?

If I bid on a truck like that and win, what would I have to do to it to drive it home? I'm serious about knowing if they drain the batteries.

KaiserM109

Kaiser, I was wondering the same thing when I saw that. I wouldnt be surprised if they drained engine fluids but diffs, tc and trans could be asking for trouble. It would have been towed onto the lot and they cant drain there.
They go to DRMO first and they do have big shops.

steelandcanvas

Why do they do that?

If I bid on a truck like that and win, what would I have to do to it to drive it home? I'm serious about knowing if they drain the batteries.
I would imagine it's some sort of EPA requirement. Arlyn, just to be safe, I would take all fluids and lubricants with you when recovering a vehicle from GL. I have not seen an issue where they drained the batteries, but some distilled water may be in order.

Gunzy

I picked up a M923A2 out of Hill AFB, Utah. The engine and trans were drained but haven't checked transfer or diffs as I am parting it out and it really isn't moving. I did fill the engine and trans to start and see if it went into gear, which it does. It had 4 gel cell batteries so they couldn't do anything there.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They may have removed the batteries.

Tin Medic

Seems that draining everything would lower the price. Not to many people are going to bid on a truck thats been rolled around with the diffs empty.

ranchhopper

I bought 1009s that had everything drained they even used the point of a pick axe to punch holes in the fuel tanks to drain them too didn't find that out until filling them with fuel and the river of fuel was running past me on the driveway.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to pick one up in GA a couple years ago. Site manager said all I needed was some batteries.............yeah, right! ALL the fluids were drained. Spent a lot of money at Advance Auto Parts that day; fuel cans, fluids, etc. Filled the back of the 1009 and the floorboards with jugs of everything. After 5 hours, got everything filled, started it up, got to the fuel stop..and the starter went out! Had to get a tow to Augusta and spend another $500 at SECO for a starter, and pay a truck shop to install it. Needless to say, never got another truck from that place again.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
BTW it is not GL that drains them, at Riley it is RSMS ( READINESS SUSTAINMENT MAINTENANCE SITE) and they do it before they get to the DRMO (Defense Re-utilization and Marketing Office) the first step in releasing them.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another reason to haul it home and not plan on driving it home.

3dAngus

Better just hope they don't do to it what they been doing to some of the HMMWV's.

Drain the fluids, start it up, and watch it blow!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks