• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stop leak in m1009 transfer case?

dpaulus

My m1009 leaks a little bit of transmission fluid from the front drive-shaft seal on the transfer case.

Can you add "Bar's Stop Leak" to the transfer case to swell the seals? Will it gum-up the gears or just not work since it's not pumped?

Thanks for all your advice. The cucv is running great because of all your help.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would just replace the seal . The seal won't cost much more than the Bar's leak . Just download the TM it is not a hard fix to do it right.

ryan77

You might have to use a spedi sleeve! If a grove is worn on the yoke from the seal! Not a big deal but just a fyi to consider!!

truck1

Went through this recently with my 1028. Tried a speedy sleeve and new seal. Stopped for a while then leaked. Found new yoke. Replaced yoke and seal. No leak for a couple thousand miles. Then leak reappeared. I also had fluid leaking from the seal between the t-case and the tranny. Turned out it was the inner seal in the t-case adapter at the tranny. Seal got hard and I got pressurized tranny fluid in the t-case causing leaks at the yoke and t-case halves. Replaced seal and bone dry ever since.

dpaulus

I've read several threads on transfer case leaks, and they say to check the vent first. The guy I bought it from painted the entire under carriage, so it may be painted shut. I've looked through TM 9-2320-289-20 CH 5 and 6 and can't find the vent.

Does anyone have a picture, or can you point me to a schematic in the TM?

Thanks.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went through this recently with my 1028. Tried a speedy sleeve and new seal. Stopped for a while then leaked. Found new yoke. Replaced yoke and seal. No leak for a couple thousand miles. Then leak reappeared. I also had fluid leaking from the seal between the t-case and the tranny. Turned out it was the inner seal in the t-case adapter at the tranny. Seal got hard and I got pressurized tranny fluid in the t-case causing leaks at the yoke and t-case halves. Replaced seal and bone dry ever since.
:ditto:

rickf

Stop leak will swell up ALL of the seals including the ones that are not leaking and then 6 months down the road they will all degrade and you will have leaks in places you did not even know you had seals. The best thing to do is drop the case and reseal the whole thing. Done and done and you do not have to worry about replacing one seal after another. If one is bad another is just waiting.

Lapua Dan

I've read several threads on transfer case leaks, and they say to check the vent first. The guy I bought it from painted the entire under carriage, so it may be painted shut. I've looked through TM 9-2320-289-20 CH 5 and 6 and can't find the vent.

Does anyone have a picture, or can you point me to a schematic in the TM?

Thanks.
The vent is shown in manual -34p, pages 206 and 207, #4, part # 8640496.

Troubleshooting transfer case/ excessive fluid loss: manual -34, page 54,
Step 1: Check for loose transfer case housing bolts.
Step 2: Check to see if transfer case vent is plugged or restricted.
Step 3: Disassemble transfer case and check for damaged seals and gaskets.

The vents are very inexpensive. You can get them delivered for less than $5.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks