• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug card burnt, Can this be fixed? or do i just go with manual switch?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off. that is not your glow plug controller card.

The bottom relay terminal has continuity to ground because at least one GP has resistance.

You said intermittent power on the blue wire, is that when it is connected to the relay? It should have power(coming thought the relay coil) when the key is on.

If you simply follow the -20TM troubleshooting procedure, it covers testing every single component(except the controller card).

The controller card is between the fuse box and the steering column.

Last edited:

parlusk

Thanks for the quick response... i thought that card looked nothing like the glow plug card but was not exactly sure. It is kinda hard to test some of the components by yourself. i will re read the tm and see what i missed.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, if you simply browse through a parts TM(ends with P), you can see the location of the GP controller card. And Identify the cards you questioned in your vid.

They are for the diagnostics port, for the STE/ICE.

cpf240

Isn't that first card shown in the video the tach buffer card?

The glow plug card should be hanging down around the steering column. It may even still be attached to the bracket like it is supposed to be.

I'm guessing that you only read voltage on the green ( blue ) wire when it was connected to the relay with the key on. If so, that would show voltage is coming though the relay coil from the pink wire. If you are getting a voltage reading on the green ( blue ) wire when it is not connected to the relay, then there is an issue somewhere, as that wire is what the glow plug card connects to ground to energize the relay.

parlusk

I am pretty sure you are correct. I am going to read the TM again tonight and check everything again in the morning.... When i was getting power to the relay i wonder why it was not engaging it?

cpf240

It is possible that the relay is engaging like it is supposed to, but that the internal contacts are fouled with carbon buildup. I had to replace mine for that very reason.

As mentioned before, follow the GP system trouble shooting steps outlined in the TMs. With that and a meter, the problem should become evident.

Good luck!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The controller activates the GP relay by switching/providing a ground. Power is supplied to the relay when the key is on.

So to simplify that and answer your question another way is, yes you had power, but you did not have a ground(complete circuit).

Pull your controller card, inspect and clean it and reinstall it.

Also check your temp sensor. Is it connected? Wires at the connector look ok? Did it test good? (all in the -20).

MarcusOReallyus

Pull your controller card, inspect and clean it and reinstall it.

But keep your fingers off the contacts while you're doing that! I was cringing when I watched you handle that card on the video. Hope you didn't fry it!

Never handle the contact strip on an electronic card. With some you can get away with it, others, not so much.

The really neat thing about ESD (electrostatic discharge) damage is that it can be hidden. It doesn't show up right away, or it doesn't kill the card completely. Just makes it act wonky.

This is why you have plenty of people saying things like, "Oh, I handle the edges of cards all the time and I never had a problem!"

They simply don't know what problems they have caused. They don't make the connection between their careless handling and the problem that shows up days or months later.

parlusk

I am going to give that a try tomorrow.... I need to first test the relay completely and make sure it is working fully. Then make sure i am getting power on the pink wire.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would improve your results(help) and keep the forums much cleaner if you would simply run one thread on this truck(issue).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you can solder that. Don't know if something else is bad though.

I would buy a new one from Antennaclimber.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once again, in the -20TM, troubleshooting section, cranks but does not start, step19(electrical troubleshooting). 19. ENGINE CRANKS BUT WILL NOT START; ENGINE COLD; “WAIT” LIGHT OPERATES

Read and follow the instructions. It even tells you how long the cycle should be.

Do not start a new thread for each step of this problem or each of your new youtube vids.

All that does is scatter around bits of information and make it difficult for members to help you.

Last edited:

parlusk

I read the section before posting and all i got was "Glow plugs will cycle to 0 volts in approximately 20 seconds after firstoperation. Time will shorten as glow plugs become hotter." my glow plugs stayed were still on when i shut the vehicle down, over 60 seconds later. I searched the SS and the TMs and could not find anything on this. I saw your comment saying not to start a new thread each time, that is why i posted this video to my thread that i had already started.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, if the GP relay stays on, that might explain why your card melted.

Are all 6 of your glow plugs good?

What was the voltage at the orange wires when the key was on?

All of this is part of the troubleshooting. You must follow through the procedure to asses the issue.

The TM does not say 0 volts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks