• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odd Glow Plug System

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
. This new M1008 is baffling me. I can't find a glow plug card under the dash. Furthermore it has one of the early plastic relay controller assys under the hook. No resistor bank but I believenit was once there. The pink wire to the wait light has been cut and is wired to ground. The system seems to work fine. It's an early productio. 84. (9-83). Any thoughts?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the truck a 1983?

Can you post a pic of the relay(and wires)?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will try. The 10th character of the VIN shows it to be an 84. SF showed 83. Will take a bit to do pics, tapatalk no worky on my end. Says forum admin prohibited. I know thats not true.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that is a civilian glow plug controller.

I'll look later on for more info.

Is this the part number on the relay? 12052153

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will look closer next time I get home. Despite my best efforts, I can find no evidence of it ever having the holder for the card under the dash.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the later model civvy GP controller. The grey color says latest edition, same as my CUCV-II.

Someone couldn't figure out how to work on the old one and rewired for the civvy version.

1982-1984 units where round GP2.jpg and the relay was on the driver fender. 1985s and up combinded the controller and relay into one unit GP controller.jpg and were where yours is. The first units where black and then they changed to grey after fixing some design issues.

The CUCV controller harness is partially standalone. It can be removed and you would never know it had been there.

Are you sure the VIN is for a CUCV and not a civvy?

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, do you want to go back stock or run what ya brung?

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? What is your skill set for working on trucks?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a meter. can operate same. This system works fine but I can't see where anything has been changed. Going to run what I have unless it breaks.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The original GP harness could have been removed. It has it's own grommet in the firewall.

I wonder does the civi harness use that same hole in the firewall?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hole is certainly in the right place. Grommet looks different. Cabling coming in the grommet plugs into the factory harness inside. IIRC the card system plugs in out in the engine bay. Usually I can see evidence of a mod, can't with this one.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pink with black tracer wire that has been grounded can be followed back in figure F-4(schematic).

I'm not sure why they did that.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't I feel like a fool.. I've been pouring over the schematic like crazy and never dawned on me to look at parts diagrams in the -P. Eric, it looks like the wait light was chopped off and they didn't have enough wire length to re-attach it and just ran the remote ground. Thank for the help folks.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks