• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL Does it do any good to dispute a claim ??

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, that's 15% for each letter...

mikey

I've had stuff disappear from deuces I've won at Mechanicsburg between bidding and pickup. I now worry about each lot I win there until it's in my possession. During my last pickup of an M105A2, I basically had free reign of a large area of the yard while the attendant helped others at the other end. It was very nice of him to allow me to hook up the trailer and my magnetic lights, but the opportunity to pilfer was there. With some people being dishonest, that was disturbing.

My experiences with New Castle and Fort Drum were GREAT. They are by appointment only and Ft Drum walked me to my stuff and waited with me until I left, while New Castle actually had me wait by the gate while they drove my truck out to me. I try to avoid Mechanicsburg if I can, but sometimes they have lots that you just don't see anywhere else like rope and containers.

Maybe a thread with GL contacts, ratings, personal experience, tips and pros and cons of each GL site would help some members out.

Mikey

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There were a lot of problems at new castle the end of last year. To the point where the Delaware state police were brought in. Several buyers are no longer allowed into the site according to what the lot guys tell my haulers.

Atlanta Truck Center is bad, never buy anything there that has 'stuff' you expect to still be there. I have bought some trucks and trailers from there and every time I have been there I could have taken anything I wanted. I could have gone in the back of the parking lot and cut donuts if I wanted to... I did figure out after I loaded my trailer the last time I was there that my trailer tires were low, the guy that normally helps load stuff didn't have an airhose, but told me to look around to see if I could find one. After searching through probably 20 trucks I found a couple sections of hose, (not a complete hose), but enough to make a gladhand hose. Once I filled my tires I gave him the hose so he would have one next time (until someone steals it from him).

Eastover, SC is a good place to bid if you like 'free' stuff, they keep the trucks locked up and pull them out for the buyers, I bought a wrecker there that had two sets of slave cables, two towbars, and other misc stuff.

jesusgatos

Sorry to hear about that, but sounds like you're out of luck without any way to prove they were there. Have had to dispute a few things (legitimate problems with documentation, resolved to my satisfaction in every case) and unlike a lot of people, I've found all the GL reps to be very pleasant, reasonable and helpful.

mikey

There were a lot of problems at new castle the end of last year. To the point where the Delaware state police were brought in. Several buyers are no longer allowed into the site according to what the lot guys tell my haulers.
My purchase was January of this year. All the more reason for such a thread. I searched New Castle prior to my recovery and didn't find anything pertaining to problems or theft of parts etc. I'm assuming the new rules there are in response to the problems at the end of last year. It's a shame it took honest bidders losing their stuff before common sense rules were put in place.

Mikey

gem1410

Got back 16k from GL 2 months ago after they seized some of my trucks engines when they took the videos or shortly after in New Castle-----20* weather and idling the trucks at 2200 rpm on ice cold start up--no oil flow--real smart guys--everyone denied everything until I showed them their videos with the rpms at 2200 on many of the trucks--I told the lot manager that if she could un-seize the engines and make them run like in the description I would take them--she told me I own them in the condition they are now in------Since GL had my money, incorrectly described the trucks and was being real cute--I called the Delaware State Police--Fraud Charges---------Got an email from the the head of comsumer relations a few hours later that my refund money would be arriving shortly--even for the truck that they denied on a GL claim form the week before--I also called the Delaware State Police last year when 6 of my trucks were missing all batteries and all fuel--When I previewed the trucks they all started--had batteries and over 3/4 fuel in the tanks--Even their videos showed 3/4 fuel levels--The gl lot guy at the time told me my trucker took my fuel and batteries--after a 1/2 hour state police theft investigation I was told by GL to figure the loss and a check would be on the way---I am looking forward to purchasing from Iron Planet Auction when they take over DOD rolling stock sales Januray 1, 2015---------Below is the video of my truck at 2200 rpm idle and then it seems like it is being slammed into reverse when they first shut it down--I saved the video thinking it may be removed by GL and it was---http://youtu.be/SC2_T5gHwXc

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Does this mean after 1-2015 GL will only be doing parts not vehicles or they are loosing the entire surplus contract to Iron Planet?
Will

gem1410

Iron Planets auction site says they will begin the contract 12-1-2014---They will sell the trucks and rolling stock--GL gets parts--tents--sinks and general items--GL says they are not sure if they will make any money on what they ended up with and the stock of the parent went from $35 last year to $17 last week--LQDT is the stock symbol--look it up and there is info everywhere on whats going to happen 12-1-2014--

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone thinks it's going to get better when Iron Planet takes over, I wouldn't count on it. I tend to believe it's going to get worse.

Also, the hay day of trucks surplussed out is coming to a end. I tend to think that while there will be trucks from time to time, we will never see the volume as we've seen with the deuces and 5-tons in the past.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ALSO UNLESS you are a DEALER, you will NOT be able to buy from Iron Plant in CA., I have been signed up with IP for years so I can follow some trailers, cranes, ect..

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I was bidding on some forklifts on Iron Planet. They had a starting bid price but didn't show the actual bidding price. I like how GL starts everything at 25 bucks. Some stuff gets bid up and sometimes stuff gets overlooked or no one else wants it that week and you get good stuff cheap. If GL is doing all the "other than vehicles and heavy equipment" and the sites are shared with Iron Planet doing the vehicles I would think issues would arise between the two. Iron Planet does offer a condition guarantee on some equipment but I don't see them doing that on mil trucks.

Artisan

ALSO UNLESS you are a DEALER, you will NOT be able to buy from Iron Plant in CA., snip
THIS IS NOT TRUE. (not yelling :) ) I can tell you as a matter of fact, not hearsay but fact,
that now "Anyone" even a California resident and not just a California dealer can buy
trucks and take delivery on them directly.

I just had a wonderful conversation w/ the folks at IRONPLANET.com about many issues and
I am VERY encouraged. One issue was the no-sale to Calif residents and I was told
that program is DUST, OVERWITH and DONE.

Ironplanet.com will begin selling military trucks about the middle of November. I
I think things are going to be a LOT BETTER and easier at IronPlanet (IP) . These
folks actually CARE. They are very concerened about what has happened to consumers
and they are super keen on making these process's easier. The process is a little different
but all for the better. One thing I really liked is there is no 15 minute extension to the
auction if someone bids in the last 15 minutes. There is a short 2 minute extension and
THAT will make things move a LOT faster.

I was told that IP is going to have a representative in BattleCreek itself to help push
EUC clearances along too! THAT is going be a big plus! They really were ears wide open
to suggestions. THAT tells me they care.

The way I understand it, IronPlanet will be taking the Rolling Stock sales 1- locale at
a time, it will not be an "All of a sudden" change so for a short period of time
GL and IP will be selling trucks until IP has the horns firmly in their grasp.

I got signed up over there some time ago, glad I did. If you get registered you will
start to get the newsletters and stuff and learn first hand about what's what.

greenjeepster

I was out at Ft Dix today and Iron Planet staff are out there cataloging a whole bunch of trucks. (I would guess a few hundred). My understanding is that vehicles are being gone through and will be auctioned as either operational or with stated defects. Which is a huge improvement over GL's "As is, Where is." I imagine prices will likely reflect that in the future though.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Good to know. A buddy of mine said there was alot of stuff at dix waiting to be sold but I didnt realize it was that much. With any luck they will do a big load at once and prices will be reasonable.

greenjeepster

Yeah there is tons of trucks out there. I don't know how much of it is FMS hold though vs pending IP auctions. But definitely 100s of trucks. I haven't seen that many trucks in one DRMO lot since the infamous Boone Center Deuce sale of 2010.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks