• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any easy way to get pins out of door hinges ???

gem1410

Got a M923a2 recently and the side mirrors were in the bed--did not think much about it until I went to put them back on---The heads on the pins <bolts> were wrenched off and the pins are frozen in the door hinges--tried oil--heat--hammer--------anyone have any luck getting the pins out--Thanks George

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oil a little heat if necessary and try to turn them a little bit with a vise grip or something like that then just use a punch from the bottom and drive the pins out the top.
KK

TMNT

Several threads on this subject already, those hinge pins can be a real booger to get out. In some cases, the only thing that works is drilling them out. Try heat. A lot of heat. Try a hydraulic press bigger than 12-tons. My 12-ton press wasn't strong enough.

If that doesn't work, break out the drill press.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Piss on it, they are not worth your time. Buy new hinges, unbolt the old ones, and bolt on the new ones.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Those hinges were designed by an idiot and built by morons. They are wretched inventions of the devil and exist to make men lose their religion. There is no good or easy way to remove them without severe blood, hearing, mental health or energy loss.
I agree with Gimpy.....replace rather than repair.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those hinges were designed by an idiot and built by morons. They are wretched inventions of the devil and exist to make men lose their religion. There is no good or easy way to remove them without severe blood, hearing, mental health or energy loss.
I agree with Gimpy.....replace rather than repair.
And then... start all over again? No, not me...

I look at such simple things in a little more positive way: in this particular case these door hinges were made that way so that we "end users" - in most cases with more imagination than skills and tools - had the opportunity to re-design, modify, recreate, reverse-engineer and eventually be able to upgrade such an invention... and of course share experience and results, here on SS... where else. :smile:

G.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

If anyone would put grease zerks on them, it would be you! What size bit and where does it come out, in the middle?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL... It sure was less work then removing those rusted pins! And this is typically something you do only once... (for each truck, of course...)

Those are common M8 bolts, center-drilled from the head-side (Ø2.5mm) up to the middle of the hinge, more or less. Then another Ø2.5mm-hole, drilled radially and eventually grind a small channel for better grease distribution, then drill & thread for the grease zerk and listo.

No rocket science here, really...

G.

Last edited:

Jakelc15

LOL... It sure was less work then removing those rusted pins! And this is typically something you do only once... (for each truck, of course...)

Those are common M8 bolts, center-drilled from the head-side (2.5mm) up to the middle of the hinge, more or less. Then another 2.5mm hole, radially and eventually grind a small channel for better grease distribution, then drill & thread for the zerk and listo.

No science here, really...

G.
You should sell those, every truck needs 4.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, I'd prefer seeing someone in your part of the world making them (and hopefully be able to cover his cost, at least...)

G.

gimpyrobb

I have the will to attempt this(and a big box of grease zerks). I will do some drilling this weekend and post back up.

M813A1

I had the same problem with the door pins !! I used my torch and heated the hinge and then used a punch and tapped them up out the top of the hinge , then I used a bolt to replace the pin !!!

gem1410

Got all 4 pins out and it only took all day with a helper--heat--punch--5 lb hammer--2 cans pb blaster--4 drill bits which i sharpened 4 times each with my new lowes bit sharpener--lots of water--bandages------no easy way as they were in there solid--the local vulture was even watching us---thanks for all the help--george

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never had one I couldn't get out. I just heat them up and drive them out with a punch. Sometimes you have to get the hinge red hot for it to turn loose.