• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV towbar pin SIZE

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just for those that plan to use a standard medium towbar on the front of one of these trucks, the 1" PINS will NOT fit the tow holes below the lift shackles, either it is the paint or the hole is to small, you could "maybe" drive the pins in but do not think you can.

I used a set of 15/16" pins that one of our old time members made for me because the "early deuces used 15/16" instead of 1" for the lift brackets holes and the lift shackles. The 15/16" pins have almost no slop in the bracket holes, and you can not feel it in the towbar.

One more thing, the towbar adaptors are installed UP SIDE DOWN from the way we are used to, If you do not install them this way they WILL bind up.

So with the above said, be prepared and do not get caught by surprise.

sandcobra164

I agree with Derrick. I tow these trucks pretty regularly whenever we go to the field and 1¨ pins are what's needed on the older ones. Some of the newer ones are configured a little differently, let me see if I can find a picture of the last one I had hooked. The new one's are horrible because you have to bend the front bumper supports out of the way to get the 1 1/2¨"pins in. Not sure who designed it to be that way but I can easily tell on a new truck if it's ever been towed or not.

sandcobra164

The picture Derrick posted looks pretty much the same as the front of a new one, his picture is of the back end though. Anyhow, you have to reach behind the front bumper to get the front pins in and the head of the 1 1/2¨ pin will not clear the supports to the side of the tow connection. The 1¨ pin is not a problem and for flat towing a new one, that's easy to do. The problem for the National Guard is we often have to tow more than the prescribed mileage so we drop the rear driveshaft and do a lift tow most of the time. I've had my wrecker for about a year and have not flat towed any of these trucks due to the restrictions in the TM. Remember, for the trucks that I tow for them, I have to do it by the book. Flat towing them might not hurt a thing but if it does, they may tell me to find another weekend hobby for 1 weekend out the month, 2 weeks out the year.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Well the 1" pin would not go, was afraid if I drove them in with a hammer, it might get half way and not go in or back out, so I chose to use the 15/16" pins. I am sure others will find that some of the pin holes will be filled with paint, so 15/16" would be a hassle preventer.

Mark3395

Thanks for the excellent info guys. I think I've got some 15/16 pins in the motor pool and will take them if I resort to a flat tow. Am still considering taking a 923A1 to both carry parts and flat tow if needed vs Dodge Ram with a trailer to carry parts.

In any case I have good info to work from.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks