• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rideshare to GA Rally- Texas and potentially other states................

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A member contacted me and said he was trying to get a group trip together from Texas to the Ga. Rally. A "van pool" if you will. It's a very long trip from Texas and many members can't afford to drive a Civic (and the food, hotels, etc.) that it would take to go alone, but if 3-5 people go they can split costs.

Although the member who contacted me is from Texas and is trying to organize a trip from Texas to Georgia, I think it would be appropriate for other long range groups to coalesce here. If there is enough interest from other areas and the thread becomes confusing, I can separate it and create separate threads for various areas.

So................... ya'll get your dukws in a row and get your backsides out here in October-because if you don't, you'll miss the best military vehicle rally in the world!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I'm going. A couple things for anyone considering going with me.

I'm planning on going via I-20 and coming back via I-10 due to drop offs along those routes.

I am not much of a talker when driving/riding.

I am going by a 5 ton so no comforts of home.

I wouldn't be doing hotels. My departure and return times are to be determined but I would be leaving from here early and leaving from the rally before the last day. And I'm always on a schedule.

You don't get any further west in TX than me although there is one other known member that is further west by a couple miles.

Don't smoke, chew, gamble, do drugs etc, etc but I do occasionally indulge in ETOH but not while driving.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Clinto for creating this thread on my behalf. As much as I would love to drive a MV to the rally, the fuel costs make this prohibitive, at least for me. Since I may not be the only one in this predicament along the I-10 corridor, I thought I would offer to coordinate a van pool starting in Houston, TX to Union Point, GA. The all-in costs on a 12 passenger van are $1400. I figured the minimum number of folks is 4, for a cost per person of $350. I would be towing a 5x8 single axle trailer with 16x16 military frame tent and cots, for us to camp in. That will leave room for whatever we end up buying, to a point. My thoughts are we would leave on the 8th early AM and return 12th late in the evening.

So if anyone is interested, chime in here.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

For those on a tight budget remember that volunteers who help in the Dining Facility get their meals for free on the shift you are working. Nobody goes hungry at the GA Rally. We have cooks but we can always use dish washers, cook assistants and Dining Room Orderlies (that's an inside joke that old time military folks will understand). Check in with myself or Mike when you get to the rally and we will put you on a roster.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also for the MKT we have a volunteer thread which is currently under review by the staff. You can put your name on it as well.

m715mike

Thanks Clinto for creating this thread on my behalf. As much as I would love to drive a MV to the rally, the fuel costs make this prohibitive, at least for me. Since I may not be the only one in this predicament along the I-10 corridor, I thought I would offer to coordinate a van pool starting in Houston, TX to Union Point, GA. The all-in costs on a 12 passenger van are $1400. I figured the minimum number of folks is 4, for a cost per person of $350. I would be towing a 5x8 single axle trailer with 16x16 military frame tent and cots, for us to camp in. That will leave room for whatever we end up buying, to a point. My thoughts are we would leave on the 8th early AM and return 12th late in the evening.

So if anyone is interested, chime in here.

I think this is a great idea. Unfortunately, work and family schedules prevent me from attending the 2014 rally, but I am already thinking about 2015. I hope the vanpool works well this year and is repeated next year.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody of the JanKees' need a driver or co-driver to get a vehicle down to the GA rally? I would like to be in D-Town Tuesday already, but would love to spend some days on the road getting there; the farther the better. No problem driving alone; I am used to it and love it.

:tank: :tank: :tank:

Convoy can be fun also. If you don't have time to drive the whole distance yourselves at 50 mph but still like to get your MV down there, or get all your MVs there, I am game to drive one.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody of the JanKees' need a driver or co-driver to get a vehicle down to the GA rally? I would like to be in D-Town Tuesday already, but would love to spend some days on the road getting there; the farther the better. No problem driving alone; I am used to it and love it.

:tank: :tank: :tank:

Convoy can be fun also. If you don't have time to drive the whole distance yourselves at 50 mph but still like to get your MV down there, or get all your MVs there, I am game to drive one.
Now THAT's a TEAM-PLAYER talkin' ! ! !

Robo, you have my SALUTE. That last sentence really wins the prize for going the extra mile.

John

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think if we can get people from the Czech Republic and Uraguay that we should be able to get at least a couple dozen from Texas.

:)

stanky johanson

If any one is passing through Atlanta on there way to the rally, please give me a heads up. Its always a pleasure to roll down the hwy in a long line of green and tan iron, and if any one needs support, ( I.E. mechanical, directions, or chase truck) feel free to let me know!

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Have you guys made any headway on this?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No interest so far.

Looks like you're just gonna' have to ride with Carnac. rofl

Long ride in a deuce and a half.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a lot of problems finding this thread back until Clinto send me the link. That is why I posted my remarks in the main thread. Probably should have put it here as bump before that. .

...... 3) the travel together thread seems dead for all purposes, so I will post here and in transport needs. Anybody needs another driver to get this extra car to the rally or don't have time to drive yourself? I am game for driving an MV to-from the rally. Somebody of the northern states would be ideal (so I can fly into NY or Chicago). Distance is no problem, alone driving also not, but I would like to be at the rally Tuesday, in special cases Wednesday afternoon is acceptable but preferable not later. Departure is completely free. I would need to know soon, I need to book tickets before the end of the week. ....

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Oct. 7-11, 2015.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks