• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

923A2 Horn stick on after pressing button wont stop until turn shut down truck

thenext44

I replaced the horn and solenoid with and new unit and the problem is the same. Anyone know what would cause the horn to stick on? If you power off the truck it stops, then restart and the horn stays off but as soon as you honk it stays on till power down.

This is my first post ever so if I am in the wrong spot or it is a stupid question, sorry in advance.

74M35A2

You're fine. The horn on my 925A2 recently did the same. WildChild467 took it upon himself to dig into it for me, and he found there is a diode just under the horn, I believe on the ground side, and this was weak/bad. By simply disconnecting, it resolved the issue. But, thinking it is a flyback diode, which prevents a voltage spike in the system when the solenoid closes (acting like an ignition coil ie collapsing magnetic field), he actually sourced another diode and installed it as intended, and my horn has been fine since. He also went through everything else, such as the horn button, slip ring on the steering column, connection at the column base, horn solenoid, and connection at the horn. So, it could have been any of those, but the problem reoccurred, and the problem was resolved when he started messing with the diode. Problem stopped via disconnecting the diode, and problem remained resolved after replacing this diode. Could tell it was not happy, as it was getting hot and deformed.

Check the diode, it is taped within a small harness just between the horn and firewall. Mine stuck full on at 120psi during a 3am drive through a subdivision of $800,000 homes. I though I was going to be jailed instantly. The seconds it was stuck on felt like hours, but we laugh about it now.

thenext44

Thanks 74M35A2 that was exactly my problem. I followed the ground wire and the rubber surrounding the diode fell apart in my hand. Easy cheap fix, 1N5404 3A 400V Rectifier Diode from ebay and the horn works perfect. Thanks again!
20140829_123817_resized.jpg20140829_123831_resized.jpg20140829_123857_resized.jpg

74M35A2

Again, not me at all. Wildchild467 did it entirely himself. I didn't even lift my hood. I came home, and he was in my backyard, beer bottles littering the yard, with his feet sticking out of the wheel well. The horn issue drove him nuts. Fun kid to have around. When he doesn't completely know or understand something, it further fuels his desire to conquer it. I just use my middle finger, but he just had to have that horn working correctly, and now it does.

Glad yours is working well now too. Pass the knowledge along.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again, not me at all. Wildchild467 did it entirely himself. I didn't even lift my hood. I came home, and he was in my backyard, beer bottles littering the yard, with his feet sticking out of the wheel well. The horn issue drove him nuts. Fun kid to have around. When he doesn't completely know or understand something, it further fuels his desire to conquer it. I just use my middle finger, but he just had to have that horn working correctly, and now it does.

Glad yours is working well now too. Pass the knowledge along.
You called me a kid?? If you call me kid, I'm going to call you gramps. :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks