• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 prong trailer wiring T connector

Drock

Hey guy's bare with me, I'm really bad at electrical stuff and I'm ah little lost. I searched the archives and didn't see an answer to this seemingly simple problem so here goes. I bought a (flat, 4 prong plug, T connector ) for a 1984-K30, and as per the instructions plugged the T in between the drivers side tail light plug. The drivers side lights of the trailer are all functioning properly ,but the passengers side only has running lights, nothing else. Does our CUCV's have different tail light wiring then a civilian truck?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor

Drock

Well here's what I came up with todayHitch wiring.jpg I went ahead and bought this (Hopkins 7 round multi- tow connector) from Walmart http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/Hopkins-47185-Multi-Tow-Adapter/16782535 after taking some measurements below the military plug and also behind it. This worked out perfect ,it's just below the pintle hitch bracket, and just above the receiver hitch bar. Plus I think it looks cleaner being in line with the original military plug, and both function in case I ever find myself needing to pull ah military trailer.

MarcusOReallyus

Interesting. Your military plug rides a lot higher than mine. Mine is pretty much in the middle, vertically, of that space. I'm planning to just replace the military plug with a standard 7 pin RV plug. I have no expectation of ever towing a military trailer.

How's the clearance in back? That's my biggest concern - the back part of the 7 pin looks like it's too big to fit in there. That angled brace back there sure limits the room.

Drock

(Dstang), No I haven't seen, much less used ah military plug so I'll have to look into that. (Marcus), If you look close at my pic you can see that the new plug sits lower then the pintle, thus the long back of the plug goes under the bracket. Otherwise if I tried to install it IN PLACE of the military plug it would hit right into that bracket. Also as ah side note there would have bin NO way to get the nuts off the back of the military plug without removing the whole bumper. Yet another reason for me to just do it this way.

the skull

OK, so my brother-in-law calls tonight, says he needs to have me
bring the truck to pull someone else's trailer, and all of a sudden
I need a trailer harness for 4 flat coupler (I hope). Will the 67-83
plug work correctly or not? If I have to fab up the curb side wiring
on a plug I have to buy, I'll just fab the whole thing.
Thanks guys

MarcusOReallyus

Interesting. Your military plug rides a lot higher than mine. Mine is pretty much in the middle, vertically, of that space.

Well here's what I came up with todayView attachment 512427 I went ahead and bought this (Hopkins 7 round multi- tow connector) from Walmart http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/Hopkins-47185-Multi-Tow-Adapter/16782535 after taking some measurements below the military plug and also behind it. This worked out perfect ,it's just below the pintle hitch bracket, and just above the receiver hitch bar. Plus I think it looks cleaner being in line with the original military plug, and both function in case I ever find myself needing to pull ah military trailer.

Okay, dunno what I was thinking. Mine is just like yours. I guess I'll have to mount mine like you did. There's just no way to get that 7 pin in the existing location. They just stick out too far in the back.

One thing that concerns me is clearance for the military safety chain, with the 7 pin so close to that hole. What are you towing with it, and have you had any trouble with that?

Drock

Well the safety chains can go down into the holes on the receiver hitch below the bumper. As for the trailer plug. The only thing I see from pics online that may be in the way is the cover flap on the trailer's plug. I wouldn't know for sure until I tried it. There's 1-3/8" space from the bottom of the mil-plug to the top of the civ-plug. And the civ-plug sticks out from the bumper 1-3/8". So again really hard to say if it would or wouldn't fit until I try it. Here's some better pics....Trailer plug1.jpgtrailer plug3.jpgtrailer plug 2.jpg

Drock

Chesapeake, This is the thread I was talking about. I just spliced into the original military plug and mounted the civ-plug just below the Mil-plug. It's critical were you mount it because of the pintle brackets behind the bumper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks