• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Toys for Tots 2014 Events

SteveKuhn

I think there was a thread like this last year so I'm going to try to get one going this year. I figure that the more events that are added in one place, the better the chance of getting local MV owners to show up and support this worthy effort.

The NNJ 2014 drive will kick off this weekend in NJ with a selected group of Concours smaller MVs at the Lead East Car Show on Labor Day weekend. The Picatinny USMC crew shows up as does our Toys for Tots Train Santa. If you scroll down this link (http://www.leadeast.net/sched.html), you'll see Santa on his golf cart from a prior year. They left out the rest of his convoy rolling through the show. This year he'll more fittingly be riding a Mule. Stop by to see some great cars and support the TfT cause.

Other events just announced today (also a couple past photos from them):
Saturday,Sept.27th......Annual "Toys For Tots" car show...at the Home Depot, Mt. Pleasant Ave. Rockaway, N.J...just around the corner from the Dover Armory. The show runs from 9:00am to 2:00ish....the Marines have asked for a MV display...

Saturday, Oct.4th.........Annual Bloomingdale Football Game and "Toys For Tots" Collection, at Memorial Field in Butler, just off RT. 23 North...starts at 3:00pm,need trucks for collecting toys,it's a great time, just watching the kids play ,meeting people and did I mention FREE food all night [for exhibitors] .......have no MV, still come!

Then there's the (3) Toys for Tots Train runs at the beginning of December.

With the exception of Lead East (invitation), most of the events are a lot like the Sussex Show - show up with your truck. I'd be happy to help anyone who'd like to join us.

Now what else is going on?

Steve

Attachments

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve,
Thanks for kicking off this years T-F-T Thread!

Locally, we have already had two T-F-T Committee Meetings to set our calendar and get all of our ducks (and jarheads) in a row. Although our Marines are "regulars" and not Reservists (TFT is a USMC Reserve sponsored Charity) we enjoy the full support of the USMC Detachment at Goodfellow AFB's Crypto/Intell and Firefighting Schools and can request uniformed support for most any scheduled event.

I'll post the full schedule later. Our Deuce, and possibly some other FMVs will be participating again this year.

Best wishes for a successful 2014 campaign.... May the children and those who work so hard be abundantly blessed.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SPECIAL NOTICE:

In past year's threads about the TOYS FOR TOTS Program, some SS Members chose to whine and complain about this-that-and-the-other-thing.

I respectfully ask that CRYING AND COMPLAINING be restricted from this thread. Quite frankly, those of us who work hard to make our efforts successful don't need nor want to hear it. For the sake of the children - such negativism just ain't helpful.

If your local program is not what you think it ought to be, then GET INVOLVED and be part of the solution rather than having a pity party and adding to the problem. It will be exactly what YOU make it, so make it a good one!

PLEASE post only event information, encouragement, support and enthusiasm to this thread. Anything else will be reported as malicious content. Thank you.

CARRY ON.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This evening's AARON TIPPIN Concert and fund raiser was a SUCCESS.

I don't yet have any reports of TOYS or FUNDS collected, but the participation was great!

I took a number of photos (and will post the best ASAP after compiling them with those others took) and had a very pleasant visit one-on-one with Aaron Tippin.

SIDE NOTE: He was wearing a ball cap stating "B-29 Flight Crew". I asked him about that and learned he is an accomplished pilot and supporter of the COMMEMORATIVE AIR FORCE. YES - He has piloted the B-29 "FI FI" as well as other aircraft in their fleet. As a result of our common aviation interests, he and I spent a considerable amount of time talking together.

After Action Report to be posted ASAP.

Carry on.

SteveKuhn

Saturday was the Bloomingdale NJ TfT homecoming football game marathon. o1951 stopped by and also took some nice photos that are posted in the Northern NJ thread:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ogether-ride&p=1613804&viewfull=1#post1613804
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ogether-ride&p=1613807&viewfull=1#post1613807

Here's the AAR sent by John to the 1st Sgt at Picatinny. He's the guy who always organizes the event and is the grunt on the left-side of the photo in the color guard I have nothing to add - other than this is a great bunch of guys.
First Sgt ...,
Company G. 25th Marines

Sir,

Not a change in Marine participation, nor a last minute change in football fields, nor even a threat from mother nature could stop Marines, the MTA and the Bloomingdale / Butler Football Program from completing an outstanding result in the Marine Reserves Toys for Tots program.

The total collection tonight was 575 toys and $62.00. The total collections for the 10 years of this program is 3,107 toys and $1,561.25

The toys were loaded in the MTA trucks and will be down loaded to the "Toys Train" in Denville, tomorrow (Sun.10/5) morning at 08:30 hours by two members of the MTA and myself.

Twenty one of the toys have been segregated to be delivered to the "Stand Down of North Jersey" held at the John F Kennedy Recreation Center in Newark, NJ on Saturday October 11th. It is a one day event for the homeless Veterans of North Jersey. Picatinny is involved sending clothing to the event, where VA Benefit Counseling, Medical, Legal, Employment, Clothing, and Addiction counseling and assists are given to the homeless Vets..............My contact is a former Marine , Mr. ... (USMC Vietnam, 1969). The pertinent data has been passed to ... (MTA Toys for Tots) to maintain proper documentation of distribution.

We were assisted through your efforts by recruiter SGT ... and two Poolees. They're efforts were tireless, and consistent with the work effort of the Corps. Sgt ... not only worked the color guards but many saw this Marine training and guiding his two young men.

The outstanding efforts of the MTA crew were evident throughout the evening. These men and women counted, bagged and loaded all 575 toys and handed out Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots trinkets to all who contributed. We also received assists from a former Sailor from the carrier Kitty Hawk (Vietnam 69) and his wife; and the wife of a former 34 year Bloomingdale coaches wife through all four games.

With these aforementioned, dedicated people and the non-stop efforts of Butler's ..., the situation was never in doubt once the entire crew took the field.

Thank you, ..., the MTA, and all the special help who joined us on the field this evening.

God Bless you all, the USA and as always the Corps.

Sempre Fi & OOH RAH

John ...

Steve

Attachments

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been a bit busy lately (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it) but I've finally MDE the time to post this AAR from the Aaron Tippin Toys-For-Tots benefit concert here in San Angelo, Texas.

During one of his songs, Aaron likes to assemble a bicycle. this was the first time he did so for a TFT benefit. After the show the bike was autographed and then auctioned off to the benefit of the kids ! ! !

When he and I were introduced I commented on his B-29 FLIGHT CREW ball cap. He promptly seized the topic and said that he is active with the Commemorative Air Force (think FLYING MV's) and has actually PILOTED "FIFI" the CAF's B-29 as well as ma of their other aircraft. He also shared that he was a professional pilot before going full-time as a performer. I shared a bit about the Deuce and that I had been an avionics and electrical engineer with Mitsubishi Aircraft when they were building planes here in town. Again we found common interest when he said he loved the Mitsubishi MU-2 turboprop and had also flown their jet, which is now flying as the USAF T-1 Jayhawk trainer. I had engineered many features and systems on both aircraft! I can say we've become friends though those similar interests.

Here are some pics "for the record"....

Group Shot 001.jpg IMG_4516.jpg IMG_4523.jpg

IMG_4535.jpg IMG_4528.jpg IMG_4535.jpg

IMG_4540.jpg IMG_4543.jpg IMG_4559.jpg

IMG_4560.jpg

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More pics.....

IMG_4561.jpg IMG_4563.jpg IMG_4569.jpg

IMG_4576.jpg IMG_4578.jpg IMG_4599.jpg

Yup, that's me in the camo shorts.

Little Sandy was once a radio personality and had one of Aaron's framed Gold Albums in her collection. She is on the TFT Committee with me and brought it to have Aaron autograph it. He gladly obliged.

I didn't get a picture of the pile of toys gathered as "admission" to the performance, but I know that lots of cash donations also came in. It was a successful evening for the kids.

Praise God.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
San Angelo, TX First 12-Hour Event for 2014.....

November 1, 2014 - Saturday

What a beautiful day for this very successful TOY and Cash Donation Drive....

All for the kids, many businesses, individuals, and most of all the USMC Students from Goodfellow AFB made this happen.....

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Continued.....

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Continued...

The official AAR (After Action Report) will be distributed on Monday. My unofficial report is that we collected several collection boxes full of new unwrapped toys totaling almost 3 or 4 cubic yards of volume. and our mid-day money count was $8,000.00. It would not surprise me if the day's cash collections hit the $15K mark. It's a good start for the 2014 season.

Thank you for ALL who support the Toys-For-Tots effort worldwide.

Carry on.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been quite busy lately, and hence a little slow in posting the Toys-For-Tots entry pic in the San Angelo, TX Veterans Parade which was held on Saturday 11/08/2014 this year.

This year, we entered our Deuce along with a recently acquired Santa's Sleigh float. The gentleman who, for 14 years has played Santa and brought the Sleigh to the City's Christmas Lights Parade has had to retire. Mr. Abbott is a former US Marine and has recently received a lung transplant. I had the privilege of having retire Santa/former Marine/Mr. Abbot ride shotgun with me in the Deuce. Praise God his lung transplant recovery is going well and he was even able to climb into the deuce under his own power - - - That speaks highly of a Marine's determination to adapt, improvise, and overcome!!!

To carry on the Santa-in-the-parades tradition, Mr. Abbott has passed all of his "equipment" to the Toys-For-Tots Committee, knowing that we will indeed "CARRY ON."

9441_10205074975584953_3750493134413625935_n.jpg10410360_10205074975344947_680778611098440052_n.jpg10408691_10205074975904961_2253913216234144881_n.jpg10393742_10205074974104916_2530640607147108973_n.jpg10176012_10205074973664905_5005579939251910652_n.jpg1797492_10205074976544977_7333853852111111486_n.jpg1779255_10205074974304921_1783098327347446230_n.jpg1505424_10205074974664930_3434454467372415763_n.jpg1461810_10205074975024939_7501846287853746567_n.jpg10641105_10205074822941137_9055088159130517141_n.jpg

(more)

Attachments

SteveKuhn

Bergen Harley Davidson sent out their weekly newsletter today and this was in it. Now a bunch of people know of at least 1 collection point in the area.
They meet our train at the 1st stop and deliver the toys they collect. The photo is from last year's drop off.

We were there last week for their Military Appreciation Day (see the NorthernNJ thread) and invited their heartier members to then run with the train's (all day) convoy from Rochelle Park up to Butler.

Steve

Attachments

59apache

Chipmaker
Gentlemen, i've received an email from the Marine toy for Tots Foundation. They reminded me that it is less than 6 weeks till Christmas.
I think we all spend much money for our toys. So we can spend some for the children. We can't give every child a nic e christmas. But some.
We can't give them their Dads (or Moms) back. But perhaps a little smile.
https://web.charityengine.net/Default.aspx?tsid=1320
Everything helps.
Greets Juergen

wrong link :oops: sorry....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks