• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard Top Gaskets / Seals for Restoration Project

SLR

I have a 68 Kaiser that has a soft top. I recently acquired a steel hard top that was in decent shape, only had the top dented in like normal where someone stood on it, and it needed painted. The hard top restoration has gone well, which we removed all dents and have it repainted in woodland and is ready to mount. I obtained what I thought was a complete set of gaskets/seals for the entire top, but it didn't have what I need. I am needing to find gaskets/seals for the front where the hard top sits on top of the front windshields, and also need the find the gasket/seals that go on the rear. Can anyone point me in the right direction for what the gaskets/seals are by part number or name, and any ideas of where to obtain them. Once I have the hard top mounted, the truck is almost fully restored, only needing some shackles for the back end and it should be complete. Thank you in advance.

SLR

What I have obtained is a 19 piece Cab Weather Seal Kit from Erik's Military Surplus that contained the following. According to the body shop guy who did the work on the hard top restoration, and is now trying to install it, he is stating it doesn't seem to have the 2 seals/gaskets that we need, but here is listed of what was in this kit.
[h=2]Product Description[/h]Cab weather seal kit, 19 pieces, completes one cab. Consists of:

2 windshield frame rubber seals 7373325

1 cowl seal 7373337

1 each left window to cab seals 7372720, 7373333, 7373334, 7372722

1 each right window to cab seals 7372721, 7373332, 7373334, 7372722

2 door latch vertical side and bottom seals 7373292

2 door vertical hinge side seals 7373291

2 door window slot outside seals 7373287.

2 cowl vent door seals 7373317. (not pictured above)

Jeepsinker

Ok, that's the kit I was referring to. So do you have the gaskets that go between the two halves of the cab top and between the cab back and hard top back?

SLR

I am going with what I am being told by my body shop guy, that he doesn't have what he needs, as I am not present to see what he has in the kit versus what he needs. When he called me, he stated he needs the gasket for the front and back sides, which are not in the kit I got him. So if anyone can help to point me in the right direction, it will be greatly appreciated.

SLR

Is there a seal/gasket that goes on top of the windshield, where the top will mate with it? I cannot seem to find anything in any photo or tech manual that shows a gasket/seal there, but I am it won't work well during rainy weather (unless you like moisture coming in). I have located the gasket/seal that goes at the back of the top.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Is there a seal/gasket that goes on top of the windshield, where the top will mate with it? I cannot seem to find anything in any photo or tech manual that shows a gasket/seal there, but I am it won't work well during rainy weather (unless you like moisture coming in). I have located the gasket/seal that goes at the back of the top.
There is, it's on the bottom of the leading edge of the hardtop.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No and no. Sorry.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alternative is to get some black silicone in a tube and some Saran Wrap. Put the Saran Wrap on the windshield frame, lay a couple of good beads of the silicone on top of it and lower the hard top onto it, then clamp it down. If you want to make sure it's not all squeezed out, put a few small but thick washers between the beads. You could do the same on the back wall at the base. Might not be GI parts, but it will work and you an take it apart later.

bonedoc

SLR, I was in the same spot as you as well as I was looking for the seals that seal the hardtop to the cab and go between the rear section of the hardtop and the roof. I found them at Eastern surplus. I was in there area and stopped in and they had them. I have an old one that seems in okay shape if you need it but I did a hardtop restoration like yourself and felt....since I'm there may as well replace and get all new ones.

Woodsplinter

Try sending an email to Erik at Erik's Military- he's very good at taking care of that stuff. If he has it he will know without a part number.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
if you use the correct seals, it will leak and hold water and rust. in 2006 i used black body seam sealer and it is still in perfect condition and doesn't hold water so no rust issue. if it ever needs to come off, a windshield knife should do it.

SLR

I located a rear seal, but am still looking for the front seal. Would anyone know if a seal from another type of truck might be able to be modified and used, example: could a seal from a 5-ton M939 be used?

HanksDeuce

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks