• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Average Joe's first Deuce - Mods Thread

AvrgJoe

I thought since I have now bought my first MV, my 1968 Kaiser M35A2 Deuce and a half I would start a tread that I can post all of my mods and or work to instead of having several threads for one truck. Any time I get a new toy I can not ever leave well enough alone. I am sure this will be no diferent an I will wind up doing many things over time to this new toy.

The very first thing I did for my "new to me" Deuce is I machined a small lock for the shut down knob, I have seen a couple of variations of this idea here on SS, this is just my version of the same thing. I used some stainless steel I had laying around the shop. I made it to only go together one way with relatively close tolerances so it is not loose fitting. Also I wanted the loop of the lock to recess into the machined part so it could not be cut with a bolt cutter very easily.

The first picture is the picture that gave me the idea. I am not sure whose truck it is.... but, thank you for the idea!

Please feel free to let me know what you think on this or any other future ideas, I am always open to a fresh perspective.

Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

61sleepercab

I would suggest that you have an engine oil analysis done for a base line test of the engine's condition, antifreeze,fuel, bearing material in oil. Our Cat dealer has test kits for $15.00 which is a good deal on the info. Mark

AvrgJoe

I would suggest that you have an engine oil analysis done for a base line test of the engine's condition, antifreeze,fuel, bearing material in oil. Our Cat dealer has test kits for $15.00 which is a good deal on the info. Mark
This is an interesting idea, I have a CAT dealer pretty close to me. Is this a test they Do or a test kit I take home and do myself somehow? Also, is this something you suggest just as a precautionary measure to see if there any problems to be aware of or are there common problems with these trucks I should be looking for?

AvrgJoe

Out of town last weekend so I have collected a pile of goodies for the Deuce. This will be my work for the weekend... and maybe on into the week a little. In addition to what is in the picture I also have all new wood & nuts & bolts for the troop seats. The last thing i have coming is i haved all the stenciles being made to paint all of the markings on the truck, the: "Tire preasue", "drain air tanks", "do not fill above line", etc...

After changing the oil I will be taking 61sleepercabs advice, I have contacted the CAT Dealer I have had dealings with for many years, they will do the aforementioned "Engine Oil Analysis" for $12.50. For that kind of $$ I don't think I can afford not to do it.... every time I change the oil! For no more than the truck will be driven I think that will be a cheap way to keep an eye on what is going on inside and hopefully head off any potential problems before they become major issues.

Thanks again for the suggestion Mark!

Joe

Attachments

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

I think you covered a lot of primary bases @ once. Nice machine work on your engine kill locking setup, by the way. Keep us informed as to your improvements & other ideas!

TM's say to never park the truck in gear, due to a startup condition happening if the truck get bumped. With your engine kill lockout, it can't start period. A good safety device for lots of reasons!

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an FYI to new Deuce owners (I say this because I was one at one time) I understand these trucks are beyond cool and we are all in deep infatuation with our military trucks but usually none deeper than our FIRST one! Reading and belonging to this group is awesome on many levels, the vast pool of knowledge that people are willing to share is one of the most important to me, the friendships developed are priceless BUT in looking at all the beautiful trucks that you see here and the amount of work and money people put into them to make them that way is amazing! All the really cool things we can add to our trucks to make them BETTER is all good! My point to this is YOU WILL NOT get your money back out of it when the time to sell comes around, I dont care if the truck is brand new and has 5 display machine guns on it and the nicest brand new tires and paint money can buy, unless you realize this upfront and are willing to accept it or your going to own your M35xxx forever dont get carried away thinking of your truck as a saving account, it will not be there! I know this because I have done it, end result is the question of how much money I am willing to LOSE when it sells!
Karl

bonedoc

Very nice truck and have fun!! The list of what to do and what is done will get longer before it gets shorter. I don't know how hard it was to machine that lock block but if you ever do choose to start making them and selling them please let me know as I'll be in as well. Great idea and for those of us who can't/don't have the tools or skills to do it will happily buy one.

M35A2TN

Very nice deuce and it is very true, especially for most vehicles, what you put in you will not get back out, these aren't houses with 3.44% fixed rate mortgages. They are large pieces of VERY cool military equipment that have about a 500% interest rate LOL.

61sleepercab

You never know when a 5 ton comes in handy. A neighbor boy came up on the farm and talked about studying for the CDL. So I said get in and started up Sandy the 5 ton and showed him the brakes and gave him a little road trip and then pulled into our 10 acre hay field and called out Chinese Fire Drill and traded places places and let him run some thing with air brakes and bigger than his pick up truck. He was grinning ear to ear! Mark

AvrgJoe

Thanks guys for the complements, the old girl is pretty nice but as Bonedoc said, my list of all the small things I want to do is growing longer and longer before it is getting shorter. I have been chipping away at my list of all the small things I have on my list. As many oF you already know I'm sure. What is seemingly a simple thing will turn into 10 more things. As soon as I get my first short list that has grown done I will post some more pictures.

Thanks again for all the complements and feed back.

AvrgJoe

Here are some of the pictures as it was when I picked it up. I post these for 2 reasons.

1) I want to show off my new toy and have something to compare against as I make parts and make improvements.

&2) I love for some of you guys to chime in if you can tell me what MV dealer these pictures were taken at? These pictures were taken at the MV dealer in CA that the owner I bought it from bought it from.

I would love to contact the original seller about what was done, or not & to simply learn more about the truck in general.

Thanks in advance!
Joe

Attachments

AvrgJoe

Definitely not new, it just has a fairly fresh coat of paint. It is rougher in person than it looks in the pics. It does have 18,500 miles and around 400 hours on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks