• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

S-250 Shelter Build - Camper conversion and simplified comms-shack

tim292stro

I figured I should at least give this project a "home" since it has already started. I already bought a S-250(G) shelter from SS Member JesusGatos, and I have some parts to put in already.

Plan is as follows:
  • Pop-up tent on roof that sleeps up to three, and creates a vestibule at the entrance door (move from inside shelter to inside tent without going outside)
  • All 24VDC electrical inside
  • White and NVIS Green-A lighting
  • Should be able to seat 4 and sleep 2 inside.
    • "Booth" seating that can be converted into approximately a "Full" bed
  • Climate controlled
  • Mini-fridge (custom)
  • Microwave (24VDC conversion of 120V consumer product)
  • 2x Water/Ration heaters (471012, similar to but not RAK15)
  • Utensils/place-settings for up to 8x people
  • Port-O-Potty (5Gall)
  • Computer/IT resources
    • Computer terminal (ToughBook)
    • Network switch
    • PBX/VoIP server
      • Interior Connection for VoIP phone
      • Exterior connections for 24x simple PSTN field phones
      • Exterior provisions for fiber and copper networking and network expansion
      • Exterior provisions for copper DSL "VDSL2" and "SHDSL" type connectivity
    • Provisions for later Sat-comm via pneumatic mast
  • Storage in transit for ground-portable 3.2kW solar array (10x 5'x4' 320Watt panels)
  • Side hooks for CUCV troop seats

The idea is to be able to place this in the XM1027 project's bed, with an inflatable pass-through to the cab, and be able to separate it from the truck (place on the ground, or in a trailer) as a dump and run "base camp hub".

Last edited:

tim292stro

Yeah that'll be a fun part of the project - the roof is said to support about 250lbs, so I need to make an additional frame above the roof to support up to 750lbs (transfer the loads to the end walls) so I don't cave the roof in. It should hinge at the door-end of the shelter.

I'm thinking something like this:

s250_roof-tent.jpg

The tent itself will have an inner liner like a base-x tent, and I'll pop some ducting from the HVAC system into the top tent.

tim292stro

A/C condenser for the shelter arrived (as did two others - spare and one for the XM1027).

1006141903.jpg

This will be mounted to the front of the shelter like the A/C mounted on an M1010 - over-hanging the transporting truck a bit. 15k-btu is probably a little over-kill for a shelter, but I'll be running the whole HVAC&R system from one condenser for energy savings. This means one compressor, one condenser, one dryer/accumulator, but then the system will be controlled with stepper valves to supply both an A/C evaporator and a brine-holding plate for the refer and freezer. This saves me the wasteful step of having a mini-fridge reject heat to the inside of the shelter, which then has to be removed to the outside by the AC.

With the energy savings planned by running 24VDC only (no inverter) I should be able to run the whole shelter (comms included) standalone for a day, and with the solar set-up indefinitely (even with a few days of overcast and poor solar recharge).

Last edited:

Crawdaddy

I'm interested in the network/telecom/voip details of the project. I've played with asterisk off and on for many years and I'm guessing you're using that or one of its variants for voip.

tim292stro

Yup, Asterisk will be the VoIP server running on Ubuntu Linux Server 14.04 LTS or whatever current LTS version when I get to this.

I have that at home running my home phones and I'm well versed at coding for it. A few Digium cards will give me the inter-connectivity I seek:

• Digium 1A8B03F - this will give me 8x upstream (to phone company, other PBX) trunk lines
  • Digium 1AEX2460EF - this will give me 24x downstream (to phones) extension lines
  • Digium 1TE820BF - this will give me industry standard T1/E1 lines if I need to plug into a digital phone distribution system

These cards put in an external ExpressCard to PCI-Express expansion chassis will let me plug into a standard Panasonic ToughBook CF-30 Mk2 (for which I have a bunch - they can be found in various states of repair on eBay, mine were less than $100 each). External DSL bridges will give me connectivity to the newer military VoIP field hones and systems, or what ever "network" service is available. The local sound card on the laptop with a SIP soft-phone and a break out cable will give me access to a H-350/U handset as an "operator", and I can use an automated attendant if I'm unavailable.

With SIP protocol for VoIP, you can add a standard RoIP-bridge to tie in Radios-over-IP to the total voice net fairly easily, and local VoIP phones will get access over the network (both wired/WiFi). That can get me onto any radio frequency, assuming I have the radio set for that. This is how a lot of agencies are ensuring inter-system compatibility so that communication issues like those experienced during 9/11 where Fire Fighters and Police Officers couldn't alert each other to imminent threats. Asterisk can handle Push-to-Talk signalling as an SIP packet attribute. If I make a call-in from a phone to a radio net, I can limit the access as an "operator" in Asterisk so that I comply with FCC rules - and I can automatically play a standardized warning message to the caller before they are given access to the radio net to cover the legal stuff (per-recorded, played on demand: "Your conversation will be broadcast over a public radio system - it is likely that others outside of any control will overhear the conversation. This station is not liable for loss of personal information as no guarantees of privacy or communication reliability or security are made. This patch may not be used for private commercial purposes."). It will be unlikely that I do the other direction - where I let a remote radio user patch to a phone for dialed out call, unless it's for a 911 call which again in order to comply with FCC rules, I would have to monitor and intervene (cut the patch) if it started to violate FCC rules, and I would have to be the one dialing (remote dial over RF not allowed).

I can also hook up an RF Scanner to put the audio out like a music on hold source ;).

Eventually I'll manage to get my HAM license and put in Broadband-HAMNET long-range mesh network capability. This whole setup should only take about two cubic feet of the inside of the shelter - far better than what the military managed with old analog gear. :grin:

Basically the sky is not even a limit with Asterisk!

Last edited:

tim292stro

Right now it's a great storage container for the XM1027 project as hoped, and a few larger parts for the FOBIC+trailer project. With the fixed handle and a matched set of pad-locks it keeps prying eyes away from the gear I have stowed in there until such a time as I can make more progress on the truck.

I'll see if I can post up some of the work I've done on the comms gear over the next week.

For the actual shelter, I'm looking for (or will be forced to build), a pneumatic telescoping mast in the 35-50' range that reduces to the height of the shelter plus about 8" to support the comms/CCTV gear.

About two months ago, I received a complaint from the guy in the next RV stall that it was blocking his approach (in red) to his stall (shelter's rough location in green) - the lady in the office was shaking her head wondering how this guy drives his 5th-wheel on the road, but I moved it over two feet BY HAND loaded (thing has to weight 1200 lbs or more loaded) just to humor him. I try not to put the office people in any difficult positions, they let me get away with a lot...
Their_Approach-Optimized_small.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Right now it's a great storage container for the XM1027 project as hoped, and a few larger parts for the FOBIC+trailer project. With the fixed handle and a matched set of pad-locks it keeps prying eyes away from the gear I have stowed in there until such a time as I can make more progress on the truck.

I'll see if I can post up some of the work I've done on the comms gear over the next week.

For the actual shelter, I'm looking for (or will be forced to build), a pneumatic telescoping mast in the 35-50' range that reduces to the height of the shelter plus about 8" to support the comms/CCTV gear.
That does not sound like an everyday kind of item.

jpg

I've never seen the pneumatic masts outside of active duty. These are up for auction now, though. Want a 107' tower on a trailer?
mast.jpg

tim292stro

tim292stro

Been talking to Timberwolf22 via PM and in his S-250 thread, though some of the info I was going to put in a reply PM would be interesting to more people - so...

Timberwolf22 said:
...Now the shelter build... If you can make the camper S250 work = more power to you. I could not make the camper S280 + HAM shack work, and my S280 in my M35a3 is 2-3 times the size of my S250. I just had too much other stuff going into the camper so I pulled the comm gear and gave it the dedicated S250 shack...
I'm trying to make the comms stuff a secondary function of the shelter - thinking the phrase "Jack of all trades and master of none". Like an expedition truck, I wanted a "module" to slide in and give me advanced camping abilities, this meant food refrigeration, sleeping and a place to, um... go :oops:. Using the XM1027 as the host for this module, I wanted it to at least be able to accommodate the maximum personnel I could carry in the cab, while sleeping (so 5 persons). To do this it needs to sleep two inside, and three on the roof - plenty of space for that, but need to build a tent for the roof to sleep three up there out of the sun, rain, or snow. The idea here is that if the needs for personnel are larger than what the XM1027 can carry, I'd probably have another vehicle to do that, and much more space would be required to accommodate those additional people. That's where FOBIC comes in, add a decked-out trailer to the XM1027 and now we can have a very comfortable capacity for 16 or more persons, and a lot more sheltered space to work with that we can compartmentalize for different tasks and functions. Bonus design for the FOBIC's trailer, is that it's intended to intake the S-250 from the XM1027, and allow for self sustained camp operations for at least 24 hours without external power - freeing the XM1027 for other tasks if need be. If I go bigger than that - well that's what my bus project is supposed to be for - think of it like my interpretation of an S-280 in a M35... [thumbzup]

Evolutionary camp stages by personnel capacity:
Back-pack on foot or just XM1027 (1-2 persons, "recon/sentry")
S-250 + XM1027 (1-5 persons, "fireteam")
FOBIC + S-250 + XM1027 (and vehicles by others: 2-16 persons, "squad")
Bus + FOBIC + S-250 + XM1027 (and many vehicles by others: 30+ persons, "platoon")

Much like the scale of the Fireteam, Squad, and Platoon you see in the military - the capabilities of these setups are expected to increase with the size and personnel availability.

Timberwolf22 said:
I already ran out of room again in my 19" rack...... but I have space to mount a second so that's going to be an expansion - on top of the refrigerator...
Running Asterisk on a ToughBook lets me run a full PBX/Router with 24-downstream 8+16-upstream PTSN/T1, and lets me tie (a) radio(s) into the system. All of the phone system fits in 2U. With Asterisk dial-plan control switches I can remote the whole operator console to another area, like the FOBIC setup (which is the idea) for more hands on deck and more space. All of the radios and RF kit is going to be SDR (both RX and TX) with the exception of some specific compact commercial gear - I'm working on some interesting RX equipment from scratch and using multi-GPU accelerator post-processing on the signal, should let me do powerful things, and gain vast insights to the RF space I set up in. All of the RF will fit in another 2U.

When my home network overflowed a 24U rack and started costing me $500/month to run, it gave me a reality check. With careful design and planning (lots of virtualization), I have actually increased my home network capabilities and security, and whittled it down to 9U comprised of a 1U 48-port 1Gbe PoE switch (Layer-3 managed, 10Gbe uplink), a 2U UPS for the network and servers, and two server cases (4U and 2U). Now I'm less than $75/month to run it, and I use a smaller 14U rack that also holds some equipment for my workstation and another 2U UPS for that.

serial14

What SDR gear to you plan on using? I've been getting more into SDRs over the past year and the possibilities seem endless. Thus far I've mainly focused on using them professionally and haven't yet thought about the ham radio uses. Though, as I briefly think about it, they obviously have some amazing possibilities in the ham radio world as well.

I've been following your posts on your various project and especially like the idea of connecting the radios into the VoIP system. Have you actually done this yet? How well does it work in practice? I mostly wonder about the TX/RX switching issues on the radio side of the equation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks