• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R-2 crash truck

tomor13

I'm looking at an R-2 crash truck for sale locally. I'd like to know if a drive train from a cucv will fit. Any problems with this swap? I found a 1031 that could be used as a donor. Here's a couple of pics of the R-2.00g0g_9mal6yLM6kH_600x450.jpg00z0z_hihl1wYiqHh_600x450.jpg

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are completely different! That is a very rare truck, in the condition, that it appears to be in. Altering it in any way would be a shame.

61sleepercab

I would keep it stock and get used to 40mph in the slow lane. I think some one made higher gears for the axles if you want a little speed. The sedan delivery style is rare and I have only seen one out in a car lot in all my snooping. I figure the modern GM axles are too wide for the body. Axles from a IHC Scout II may be a better fit.

tomor13

I know restoring it back to original would be great. But, like posted only 300 made. Parts would be almost impossible to find to do that. My plan was to keep it running and on the road. Convert to a camper. The drive train would have to be upgraded to make it street-able. Try and keep the out side as original as possible. I would prefer diesel with auto trans. Np205 transfer if possible. All this and keep a budget too.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The box parts are rare yes, but everything else can be had reasonable and a lot of stuff you can get locally at any auto parts store.

Want to have some fun? Go to Napa, and tell them you need a part, and you know their stock number when they are ready say 1. They will look at you waiting for the rest of the number. Tell them it is just 1. They won't believe you. I love doing that. It is the rebuild kit for the master cylinder. Like $27 bucks. I am surprised I haven't bought dozens as much fun as it is.

I will say something else about the engine swap. If you restored that truck to running and driving with good paint and tires, it would be worth 10-15k. Buy it, do drive train swaps with diffent axles, it might only bring 5k tops. It all depends on what your plans are.

I fought for and believe in the freedom we have to do what makes us happy within reason. So on that note it is yours if you buy it to do what you see fit. I feel it really would be a shame for one of the rarest of the M37 series trucks in that good a shape to get modified.

Just my two cents.

nattieleather

IMHO If you are looking for a camper with a diesel motor find a M1010 for sale and make it into a camper drive it at 60 mph and enjoy. Modify etc. If it was a stock M37 truck I'd say go for it and have fun modifying it. Heck I'm doing a big modification on a M37 myself. But the crash truck. Modifying it would be a crime. It needs to be restored even if it's just making it run, stop, lights and paint type of restoration.

If you buy it, it will be yours and you can do to it as you wish, but I just hope you don't modify it.

steelypip

I know restoring it back to original would be great. But, like posted only 300 made. Parts would be almost impossible to find to do that. My plan was to keep it running and on the road. Convert to a camper. The drive train would have to be upgraded to make it street-able. Try and keep the out side as original as possible. I would prefer diesel with auto trans. Np205 transfer if possible. All this and keep a budget too.
Just to repeat the point - the body is the unique part of this truck. The driveline is bog-standard M37. Driveline parts are easy and cheap to find, as a lot of M37s were made and many of the survivors have body rot or frame damage but good driveline parts. Yes, you can do a repower on the truck, but it will always be narrow with a high CG and the aerodynamics of a large barn door - not meant to be a speed demon, and not safe as one.

Probably the cheapest way make this into a running truck is to ask around for a good, used engine from an M37, do a brake job on it and go driving. When you've got it put together you'll have a top speed of 45 MPH, not great fuel economy burning any old gasoline, enough torque, and pretty good reliability.

If you really, really want to do a repower, look up any of the many older M37 repower threads. I happen to be partial to the 4BT Cummins in this truck, which allows use of most of the stock driveline and gives a significant increase in torque and fuel economy along with more noise. If you change to different gearing and tires you can get a lot more road speed, which then means you have to change to disk brakes on the front at least. Most of these gotchas would be true with any other repower and gearing change. It's not a cheap evolution.

I've seen several different V8 repowers, and they all are cramped for lack of engine bay space to the sides. It's doable, but you're not really playing to the strengths of the truck. For a V8 I'd go with a Mopar 318 or a 327 Chevy, in a gas engine, or your favorite flavor of pickup truck diesel V8.

If it all seems like too much work, or you want to make it into an offroad monster truck, please sell it to somebody who will preserve it and pick up a generic M37. These are too rare (particularly in good shape) to mess with.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a rarity, most were scrapped for the aluminum bodies. The engine and drivetrain are all M37, and there's plenty of parts for anything engine, tranny, Xfer, suspension, steering, hardware, etc. related on that truck. Only the body was unique, and that picture shows, to us, a very complete unit. It would be a shame to cut it up for such a silly purpose, that any more common MV would be much better suited for.

I see you only have 2 posts on this board, and they're both in this thread. I would like to welcome you to Steel Soldiers, but first lemme explain to you, Lu-cy, what we're all about here. We are primarily about saving historic military vehicles for future generations to enjoy, mostly in their original state. Now, yes, some folks on here love to modifiy their rigs to suit their own purposes, but if you look around, for the most part the trucks they are modifying are very common in the MV world. They are not taking rare vehicles, where they may be less than 40 still in existence, and cutting them up to make a camper. If you want a camper built on an MV platform, buy a M109 shop van (there are thousands of them out there), or get a CUCV M1010 ambulance or Dodge M886 ambulance (once again, thousands out there) and camp in that, we won't harp on you for that decision at all.

BTW - I found the Craigslist ad for it, guy is asking $2,500. That's a steal for a crash truck that complete. I'd buy it for around his asking price, and I'm sure you can flip it for some more $$$, maybe help you in your quest to build a camper, but on a DIFFERENT truck as a base. My two cents, spend it as you wish.

tomor13

I bought it today. After going over it. She runs and drives. Tires are kaput. The plan right now is fluid changes and new rubber. It appears it is almost all there and not much to put back on road. When I first saw it it was in the ad. I had assumed like a lot of mv's was missing a lot of original parts. Making a good mod vehicle. This one is in way better shape than that. I took a few quick pics with phone. I believe that if a vehicle or any other antique is close to 100%. It should be restored. This one needs to be restored. I like to find someone in this area(Lawrence ks) for some assistance. Once she's road ready I'll work on the next step. The guy selling it would only sell local. He wanted it to stay in area. And wouldn't sell it to some guy who wanted to make a rock crawler out of it. Can't wait to drive on road. here's data plate. 20141015_111133.jpg

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome news! Sounds like she has a good home!

Tires are a bear for the m37s. There are several options. Go back with ndt tube tires if you can find a decent set, or the make new production ndt tires, they are just proud of them. Cooker tire is one supplier. Or go with a radial, they will last much longer. STA super lugs are a good choise

tomor13

ACK! Looking up tire prices. Dammmm. But its what it takes for fun like this. Are there other rims that can be used? Put ndts on stock for show. better road tires for trips.

MatthewH

Rim selection is limited. There was a run of 1 piece rims, believe by GKN, that fit, but the center drop that was built in it won't clear the disc brake conversation, so keep that in mind.
VPW has a 17" single piece wheel, but there pushing $400 apiece. A few guys have re centered HMMVW rims so they could run surplus HMMWV tires, all depends on what your looking to do, and how much $$$ you wanna spend

RangerBob

Once you realize you've made a mistake, sell it to me at a reasonable profit. I'll take care of the old girl. Sure would look sweet next to Dewey.

steelypip

I was just thinking that this would make a great 'combat camper' for me, too. I think you'd find that it has no lack of takers if you decide to offer it for sale.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks