• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a block heater and coolant filter on 6CTA 8.3

Plugugly

I added a block heater and coolant filter to my 923A2 and decided to share since I didn't find a coolant filter install on the 8.3 when I searched. Juanpardo did a good one for the NHC250, and the principal is basically the same but I thought it would have been helpful to see exactly what you need. The block heater install has been covered, but I forget by whom. I figured I'd cover that lightly because a good job has been done already, but it's a good time to do both when you already have the coolant out.

I decided that I wanted to use the same taps that the heater used early on, and that is what my parts list is for. I do think that you can use the two other taps that are in the block in the pictures, but I was unsure. They certainly appear to go into the same areas, but since it hadn't been covered and I could find the specifics I played it safe. The down side to doing it the way I did is probably flow, since you're sharing the same 1/2" ports for 2 3/8ths" valves on the supply and return side. I guess the long term on that will have to wait for the long term. :)

The ports at both ends are 1/2" as mentioned, both of mine had been reduced with a 1/2" x 3/8th's" bushing to accept the heater shut off valves. The supply side is out the side of the block, and the return is into the volute of the water pump.

Step one is to get enough drain pans to catch all your coolant. Then using the petcock on the bottom of the radiator and taking the cap off the tank, drain the system. After the draining is done, start taking stuff apart. For the block heater, drive the frost plug in above the starter with a screwdriver or similar, hitting that with a hammer. This is made easier if you pull the lines for the heater off the block and get them out of your way to swing, if you aren't doing the coolant filter you might want to skip that, but it's just a couple hose clamps. I left the hoses connected to the heater core end the whole time.

While the frost plug was out, I then unscrewed the valve in the side of the block. Mine was oriented in a bad way to get a wrench on it, and I had to cut the spigot off because I didn't have an appropriate crow's foot and I am an impatient neanderthal. The one in the block then screwed out with the valve and bushing all at once. I replaced the bushing with a new one, and also added a "street tee", as pictured. You may be able to find one with a male 1/2" connection (I couldn't), but I really think the bushing is an asset as it gives you space away from the block to spin the valves in after you screw the tee in.

The valve on the water pump was a little easier, I didn't destroy it and was able to reuse it. I took the alternator loose at the bottom, and removed the belt and the two top bolts. With it tilted out of the way I could get a wrench on that from the top and thread it out. Because of the shape of the pump here, I needed the street tee again, a stand off or short brass nipple, and the same 1/2" to 3/8ths bushing into the pump. I put teflon pipe sealant on everything threaded. I put both the valves in the water pump tee right away, and went back block heater.

I left the heater and coolant filter fittings off while I did the actual heater install, just for the room to get my hands in there. The heater I used was a Katz 1000watt, it looks like the one in the other thread on this, too. The heating element needs to be parallel with the crank, for lack of a better way to describe it. It can be facing forward or aft, I faced mine forward. The instructions that come with the heater are easy to understand, and this has been covered but I’ll answer questions if they come up. I took the cord off while installing it and left it off until very last because it would have got in the way putting the valves in for the coolant filter and heater. The biggest thing about the block heater is the frost plug hole is going to be cruddy with sealant and paint, the other thread had me ready for this. I got a 2” Dewalt 150 grit flap wheel for my die grinder that you can see in the picture, and it worked like a charm for cleaning that up. I think it took longer to put it in the die grinder than it did to make the hole perfectly smooth.

With the heater in per instructions and secured, I finished up the valve install on the side of the block. With the valves all in and orientated where I wanted, I went ahead and mounted the filter kit. The Wix box on the left is the filter kit number, the box on the right is the filter I chose. That filter number has the chemicals added, look into that topic and decide if you want the filter with or without.

I piggybacked on the NHC250 install instructions when I chose my location, I did a little mocking up to make sure I could get the inner fender in and out, get to the dipstick, etc. Then I drilled a piece of angle iron to hold the filter and installed that as shown. Pretty self explanatory here. I have one concern here, and that’s the one bolt holding the assembly up to the existing bracket for the heater. I’ll keep an eye on that, and modify if needed. One 5/16[SUP]th[/SUP] bolt should be plenty to hold the weight, and I used a nylock nut and washered it appropriately. We’ll see.

The filter mount has all the labels for flow on it, so I plumbed that following those. I needed about 4 feet of heater hose to connect the filter to the valves. I did do something a bit unorthodox here, and put the valves for the filter on the block instead of at the filter. “Normal” thinking with the valves by the filter is changes with little to no fluid loss. My thinking was that I’d risk a few ounces of dribbling antifreeze in exchange for the ability to shut off and isolate a failed hose or filter.

I then refilled the radiator after checking all my valves and filter for tightness. I used the bleeder on the heater core to get air out. I’ll let it sit overnight, and take it for a spin tomorrow to get everything up to temp and see if it will take any more fluid or has any leaks. I did put the cord on the heater and loosely tied the cord up, I’m still working on where I want to keep that. On my tractor I cut the prongs off of a 3 prong outlet adapter and mounted that so I could plug the male end of the cord in when it wasn’t in use, and that is working pretty well.

All and all, it was pretty easy. The valves might have been easier with some crow’s foot wrenches, maybe. The filter should clean up any bad stuff in the coolant and help keep my coolant in shape chemical wise. I still have the ability to shut off the heater core in the summer, and now I can plug my truck in to go drift busting in the winter.

I wish I could remember the other thread about the block heater to give credit, maybe I’ll edit this post or add another with all the links to the stuff on Amazon and a link to the threads that inspired me. Also, I wasn't really sure which 5-ton forum this belonged in, I wouldn't really call it hot-rodding but it's not factory equipment either. I hope it is in the right spot and helps someone out.

Attachments

Plugugly

Here's the thread with the block heater instructions I followed, post #14 by 74M35A2 :http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?114718-block-heater

Here is the filter mount: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CSINYU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the flap wheel for cleanup I used: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N9BT9G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is an example of the valve I used, I got mine at a parts store where I got the hose, clamps, and fittings: http://www.amazon.com/Four-Seasons-...90&sr=8-27&keywords=four+seasons+heater+valve

Heater hose size is 5/8ths. You'll need about four feet if you reuse your heater hose and add a coolant filter where I did. More if you want to replace your heater hose. I didn't even need to trim my factory heater hose to reattach it, it all fit well at the length it already was.

Last edited:

Vintage iron

Thank you for posting. I have a company that repairs, maintains and modify 2 1/2 ton and 5 ton trucks. I recommend a block heater and coolant filter to all my customers. I have done this to a few 8.3l cummins and Cummins 250. I am just not posting here on SS as much. It kinda takes the wind of your sails, when idiots with no mechanical experience make negative comments, when you just busted you ass to do the work and then spend the time to post it.

Very nice work. Your truck will thank you this winter.

Plugugly

I tried it for the first time today, and it works better than I expected. I used a IR temp gun to measure the block, 27°F at the start, after only an hour it was 50° on the opposite side of the block, 70° on the same side of the block as the heater. I didn't think 27°F would be too much of challenge even if I didn't have the heater, but I wanted to establish a baseline for how long I should run this to help my engine out when it's really cold. I think two to three hours will be more appropriate when it's close to or below zero.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for posting. I have a company that repairs, maintains and modify 2 1/2 ton and 5 ton trucks. I recommend a block heater and coolant filter to all my customers. I have done this to a few 8.3l cummins and Cummins 250. I am just not posting here on SS as much. It kinda takes the wind of your sails, when idiots with no mechanical experience make negative comments, when you just busted you ass to do the work and then spend the time to post it.

Very nice work. Your truck will thank you this winter.

I have always appreciated your posts and appreciate your contributions to the knowledge base! :)

Carlo

I added a block heater and coolant filter to my 923A2 and decided to share since I didn't find a coolant filter install on the 8.3 when I searched. Juanpardo did a good one for the NHC250, and the principal is basically the same but I thought it would have been helpful to see exactly what you need. The block heater install has been covered, but I forget by whom. I figured I'd cover that lightly because a good job has been done already, but it's a good time to do both when you already have the coolant out.

I decided that I wanted to use the same taps that the heater used early on, and that is what my parts list is for. I do think that you can use the two other taps that are in the block in the pictures, but I was unsure. They certainly appear to go into the same areas, but since it hadn't been covered and I could find the specifics I played it safe. The down side to doing it the way I did is probably flow, since you're sharing the same 1/2" ports for 2 3/8ths" valves on the supply and return side. I guess the long term on that will have to wait for the long term. :)

The ports at both ends are 1/2" as mentioned, both of mine had been reduced with a 1/2" x 3/8th's" bushing to accept the heater shut off valves. The supply side is out the side of the block, and the return is into the volute of the water pump.

Step one is to get enough drain pans to catch all your coolant. Then using the petcock on the bottom of the radiator and taking the cap off the tank, drain the system. After the draining is done, start taking stuff apart. For the block heater, drive the frost plug in above the starter with a screwdriver or similar, hitting that with a hammer. This is made easier if you pull the lines for the heater off the block and get them out of your way to swing, if you aren't doing the coolant filter you might want to skip that, but it's just a couple hose clamps. I left the hoses connected to the heater core end the whole time.

While the frost plug was out, I then unscrewed the valve in the side of the block. Mine was oriented in a bad way to get a wrench on it, and I had to cut the spigot off because I didn't have an appropriate crow's foot and I am an impatient neanderthal. The one in the block then screwed out with the valve and bushing all at once. I replaced the bushing with a new one, and also added a "street tee", as pictured. You may be able to find one with a male 1/2" connection (I couldn't), but I really think the bushing is an asset as it gives you space away from the block to spin the valves in after you screw the tee in.

The valve on the water pump was a little easier, I didn't destroy it and was able to reuse it. I took the alternator loose at the bottom, and removed the belt and the two top bolts. With it tilted out of the way I could get a wrench on that from the top and thread it out. Because of the shape of the pump here, I needed the street tee again, a stand off or short brass nipple, and the same 1/2" to 3/8ths bushing into the pump. I put teflon pipe sealant on everything threaded. I put both the valves in the water pump tee right away, and went back block heater.

I left the heater and coolant filter fittings off while I did the actual heater install, just for the room to get my hands in there. The heater I used was a Katz 1000watt, it looks like the one in the other thread on this, too. The heating element needs to be parallel with the crank, for lack of a better way to describe it. It can be facing forward or aft, I faced mine forward. The instructions that come with the heater are easy to understand, and this has been covered but I’ll answer questions if they come up. I took the cord off while installing it and left it off until very last because it would have got in the way putting the valves in for the coolant filter and heater. The biggest thing about the block heater is the frost plug hole is going to be cruddy with sealant and paint, the other thread had me ready for this. I got a 2” Dewalt 150 grit flap wheel for my die grinder that you can see in the picture, and it worked like a charm for cleaning that up. I think it took longer to put it in the die grinder than it did to make the hole perfectly smooth.

With the heater in per instructions and secured, I finished up the valve install on the side of the block. With the valves all in and orientated where I wanted, I went ahead and mounted the filter kit. The Wix box on the left is the filter kit number, the box on the right is the filter I chose. That filter number has the chemicals added, look into that topic and decide if you want the filter with or without.

I piggybacked on the NHC250 install instructions when I chose my location, I did a little mocking up to make sure I could get the inner fender in and out, get to the dipstick, etc. Then I drilled a piece of angle iron to hold the filter and installed that as shown. Pretty self explanatory here. I have one concern here, and that’s the one bolt holding the assembly up to the existing bracket for the heater. I’ll keep an eye on that, and modify if needed. One 5/16[SUP]th[/SUP] bolt should be plenty to hold the weight, and I used a nylock nut and washered it appropriately. We’ll see.

The filter mount has all the labels for flow on it, so I plumbed that following those. I needed about 4 feet of heater hose to connect the filter to the valves. I did do something a bit unorthodox here, and put the valves for the filter on the block instead of at the filter. “Normal” thinking with the valves by the filter is changes with little to no fluid loss. My thinking was that I’d risk a few ounces of dribbling antifreeze in exchange for the ability to shut off and isolate a failed hose or filter.

I then refilled the radiator after checking all my valves and filter for tightness. I used the bleeder on the heater core to get air out. I’ll let it sit overnight, and take it for a spin tomorrow to get everything up to temp and see if it will take any more fluid or has any leaks. I did put the cord on the heater and loosely tied the cord up, I’m still working on where I want to keep that. On my tractor I cut the prongs off of a 3 prong outlet adapter and mounted that so I could plug the male end of the cord in when it wasn’t in use, and that is working pretty well.

All and all, it was pretty easy. The valves might have been easier with some crow’s foot wrenches, maybe. The filter should clean up any bad stuff in the coolant and help keep my coolant in shape chemical wise. I still have the ability to shut off the heater core in the summer, and now I can plug my truck in to go drift busting in the winter.

I wish I could remember the other thread about the block heater to give credit, maybe I’ll edit this post or add another with all the links to the stuff on Amazon and a link to the threads that inspired me. Also, I wasn't really sure which 5-ton forum this belonged in, I wouldn't really call it hot-rodding but it's not factory equipment either. I hope it is in the right spot and helps someone out.
After seeing the sludge at the bottom of a radiator I repaired this summer I think it's money/time well spent adding a filter system.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s that time of year again!IMG_5538.jpgIMG_5539.jpgIMG_5540.jpgIMG_4565.jpgIMG_4576.jpgfullsizeoutput_c779.jpgIMG_4576.jpg
I used the other set of plugged ports below the valves for the heater, seems to be working...

dougnash

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drained my coolant on Sunday, I believe it was from 2012. Came out like a brown soup, only after I shoved a piece of wire up the open petcock on the bottom of the radiator to get it flowing.

Flushed it out for awhile with fresh water, then filled it with water and took it for a spin to get it up to temp.

Then drained all the water and popped out the freeze plug and installed a block heater.

Filled it back up with Detroit premixed blue coolant

*** Remember as you are refilling the radiator with new coolant to open the petcock on the aftercooler, you will get some old coolant coming out of the petcock, once you notice it change to new coolant you can now close the petcock. (learned that from the TM :)

I am going to drain the system again in the spring and at that time install a coolant filter (bought the mount from Fuzzy here on the forum thank you )

Also I noticed some folks are using the smaller shut-off valves as posted above and some are using like a 1/2" ball valve it looks like for the filter

Any reason to go with one or the other ?

74M35A2

I’m impatient. I yank the lower hose off the radiator when I’m doing a water flush.

Would recommend a Cascade flush before you added the new coolant, but I think you are already done?

How are you putting the filter in? Series or parallel with the heater core? I think it typically goes in parallel, and then when doing so you actually want the flow to be very little through the filter vs the heater core, or even just have it be switchable between the two summer/winter.

Ajax MD

*sigh* I'm convinced. I'll order a spin-on mount and coolant filter before I tackle my coolant, belts and hoses refresh project.

dougnash

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m impatient. I yank the lower hose off the radiator when I’m doing a water flush.

Would recommend a Cascade flush before you added the new coolant, but I think you are already done?

How are you putting the filter in? Series or parallel with the heater core? I think it typically goes in parallel, and then when doing so you actually want the flow to be very little through the filter vs the heater core, or even just have it be switchable between the two summer/winter.

Yes new coolant is already in but adding cascade while flushing would have been a good idea.

I didn't add the filter yet, just gathering the parts and planning, will do this in the Spring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks