• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hot hubs

5tonpuller

It does not look like the race has been spinning on the axle OR the hub. Never noticed the temp. diff. before.
( i have a habit of checking hubs because I realy dont want to have to change axles ) Now that I got the son off to collage I
can spend time on this. To day I am going to get a socket and hope ( 50% of rain today ) to do what the book says.
If worst comes Ill get bearings. Change one, change all. If there is a bearing going nasty all that crap from one went some where.
My $0.05 worth.
Matt

what did you ever find was the problem with your hub? mine is still giving me fits. pulled and repacked and made certain the race was seated and still ran hot. changed the outer bearing again and no change. in the morning im changing the whole hub. dont know what is going on but when we drove the truck home (450 miles) it never got hot. this hub is the one that needed new bearings and races. what the heck can happen to the hub? maybe the race is bad? im out of ideas and time. got a annual trail ride coming up fast and hope to take this unit. how would i go about checking the race for round?

maxim

Well I am with DaveP on this one..same thing, hub just started getting hot. Re-sealed and packed. No change still hot. Replaced the bearings and races and properly seated them, still gets hot in 10 miles. I have had this truck for 7 years and why would a hub start to get hot out of the blue now?? It is the front rear passenger duel. Swapped tires, checked for hanging brakes, even spun the axle shaft thinking it was out of round and causing some wierd load on the hub. No collisions, no off roading. I'm having fits over it too...

well i changed the entire hub and bearings. we will see how it works when i get a chance to take her for a cruse. may take it to work on tue. 38 mile one way. should be far enough to tell. i'm wondering if the new race was cut out of round in relationship to it self? no weird wear on race or bearing. weird.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: hot hubs

you may also want to invest in a back belt. after doing all the hubs on the M819 and 2 on the M131A4 my back was not likeing me for a day or so.
Exactly why I only have the little subcompact deuces. I can lift a drum without risking a hernia.

cbvet

RE: Re: hot hubs

Just some info:
We recently made a 100 mile trip in our 2 Deuces. Ambient temp about 72 degrees. Traveling at 45 mph with few stops.
Immediately on arriving, I checked temperatures on all 12 hubs with an infra-red thermometer. They ran from 85 to 101 degrees.
Eric
CBVET

Goatwerks

I find it a bit odd that a diff that large with full floating axles would use only grease on the bearings. All Dana /Spicer60-80 series that I have worked on use the diff oil to lube the axle bearings in the civillian market, so I would check the diff oil level just to be safe.

Diff oil level is fine. the oil does not get to the hubs unless the outer seal goes south. i know this is weird but thats how they are designed. when time permits i will find a oil seal that will work and switch. also need to look into the diff level plug for this modification as it looks like the original plug may be to low.

5tonpuller

again

I changed both bearings and races. Took it for a 5 mile ride.
THE SAME THING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, what next? May be the seal is to tight? I am going to try to shave some rubber off the
seal. About 1/16" . As far as being bent I don't think so. This all started after I repacked
the bearings. SO it is something I did OR did not do. Back to the drawing board. :cry: :cry: :cry:

5tonpuller

hot hubs solved

:D
You would not be leave what I found. Was not the bearings. ( I have some good used ones)
How many times do you buy a seal and if it fits, it must have been made right.
Well ( not saying that it was made wrong OR where it was bought has bad new seals)
I think it is just something that happens. I have 3 of these seals. I took a measurement on the rubber part. Across the top. ( from the back edge to where it rides on the bearing race/hub) none of the 3 where the same. I'm not talking a few thousands. I'm talking .030 difference. I will take one of the other axles out and check on the size of the seals in one hubs that are not getting hot.
I turned one down to .465 . Put that on and went for a 5 mile ride. NO HEAT !!!! AS COOL AS THE REST. Be leave that !! I think I turned it down to much. Should be more like .480 -.490. At .465 there seems to be a gap of .010 - .020. I'm sure there is oil in the bearing now. But I have more grease. 8)

I don't think there is more then a few places making these seals. It is not as common like a wheel seal for your chevy. I do not see anything in the TM'S that say a thing about size Or on how to adjust it for this problem. I wounder if the old wrenches did for this? This might be one of those secrets that go to the graves with them.
It seems to me that .495 - .500 with might be the best. ( Have 1 out of 3 that is that size) Be for I turned it down it was .512 in with. I need to find out what the other seals are in size from a wheel that does not get hot.This will tell me more.

SO

Other then nasty bearings, It could be a new nasty seal. WOW Would you ever think?

My $0.05 worth
Matt :evil: :twisted:

5tonpuller

Re: RE: Re: hot hubs

Recovry4x4 said:
you may also want to invest in a back belt. after doing all the hubs on the M819 and 2 on the M131A4 my back was not likeing me for a day or so.
Exactly why I only have the little subcompact deuces. I can lift a drum without risking a hernia.
I made a thing that bolts to my trans. jack that holds the drum/hub on it with the wheel nuts
I should have taken a picture of it.

VERY strange! when i got mad and replaced the whole hub i used the same outer seal i had been using. ??? i have not had time yet to check my theory of the race being the problem on mine. i will however check my stock of seals for you and let you know what i find.

JDToumanian

Fascinating. I went through the same thing with one of my bearings... despite perfect bearing and race, it stayed hotter than the rest. Re-checked adjustment, tried looser and tighter... all the same. So I decided to "run it". It did not get worse, it just ran consistently hot.

I checked the temp very frequently... then, suddenly it started running the same temp as the rest and has been perfect ever since. ??? But a seal that's too tight makes some sense... it had to "wear in".

Jon

Armada

Matt, who did you purchase your seals from? I have a rear hub that is noticably hotter than the rest. I'm going to be taking a look at it and at the very least, repack the bearings. Thanks.

Paul

5tonpuller

I got them from 3 different places. What one I got from where? I have no idea. They all look the same to me. Had it out pulling old buses out from the back of a barn where they been for 20-30 years. The guy was amazed. Got one picture of where they where but the rain came and did not get pictures of the out come. Sorry guys.
Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks