• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head Gaskets

broknindarkagain

I have a suspicion that I may be having head gasket problems (hydrocarbons in the coolant). I have not tested to verify yet though. I If I do need to replace head gaskets, what do you guys recommend? Doing the actual job won't be an issue for me, but what parts should I pick up? Is there a suggested kit, or a brand I should stay away from? If I can get quality parts for an affordable price, that is even better.

Also, are these heads ok to just take off, slap new gaskets on, and reassemble or should i be milling the deck on these heads? Engine mileage is 66,000.

Skinny

What are you looking to get out of this?

I would say regardless of the engine, if you want to do it right for a long term owner I would have them sent out and checked for cracks, mill if any warpage is found (probably just have machine shop do it anyways to prep them for install, replace valve seals (maybe remove and clean valves depending on condition), and use new head bolts. All of this adds to cost but is money well spent especially if you plan on keeping.

cucvrus

I just did one of these head gasket jobs last summer on an 84 M1009. It had a minor compression leak at the left head gasket. It ran fine and was just over pressurizing the cooling system. I bought Felpro head gaskets and 2 sets of Felpro head bolts the total for the parts/ gaskets was less then $250. The heads were sent to the machine shop and they cost me $300. to have them gone over. I sent a set of heads from another engine to cut down on the time that it took to do the job. I pulled the heads off on a Friday night and had the vehicle back on the road by 5PM on Saturday evening. I replaced the water pump and all the hoses while I was in there and cleaned and painted all the brackets that were on the engine. It looked really good when I was completed and for the $600. I spent on everything I was happy. Good Luck and just go at it. It is an easy job. Do replace the head bolts. I hope that helps. This M1009 has about 100K on it and has been running fine ever since.

broknindarkagain

Turns out I was wrong. The front of the radiator on the drives side is leaking. I couldn't find the leak at first so I thought it was the overflow backing up. Looks like I need to find a new radiator!

Drock

I wouldn't under any circumstances buy ah radiator form Auto Zone, Or anything else for that matter. Someone else on another thread was having to fight with them to get the correct one that wasn't damaged..... Here's the aluminum one I'll be ordering when the time comes......http://www.buyaradiator.com/i-s-2098aa.html

Last edited: