• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I beat the fuel fitting... And a thread for all the other mods to my deuce

lino

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the ping. I revised the design slightly and have started to program the CNC code.
Then I got side-tracked on the property I bought earlier this year. Building a 1/4 mile road thru woods is more difficult than I anticipated. But I just finished on Wednesday.
IMG_2897.jpg

Now that that's out of the way, I hope to get the programming done over the weekend and next week get the machining done. I'll post with progress.
And asking me what's up, is a good motivator...

thanks

ciao
lino

lino

So I've made some progress here and there.

I have the first prototype of the billet dual fuel filter installed and running. I'm tracking it on a separate thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?144780-Deuce-Billet-Dual-Fuel-Filter-Assembly

I want to get some more miles on it before I make the next (hopefully final) version and prepare to sell it.

In the meantime, I've replaced the headgasket.

I also got some work done on my trailer. It started as a civvy trailer, but now it's a little bit of a hybrid.

First off, the trailer had a surge brake system, that the PO had welded to prevent operation. That is if you can call this welding:
20151212_164126.jpg

So I've been running without brakes on the trailer for a bit (short drives only) and I'm not fond of it. So I decided to get the brakes working. Most commonly (on a civvy trailer) one would convert to electric brakes, but then I'd have the pain of adding a 12v brake controller on a deuce that currently has no 12 systems.

But it does have a perfectly good and functioning air brake system for towing...

Soooo....

I decided to use the air over hydraulic system from an M105A2. I bought the all the goodies upstream of the brake cylinders and added them to my trailer.
I added a spare tire (with mount) and beefed up the tow point a little as well... Here are some pics:
20151212_094210.jpg 20151212_094135.jpg

I cleaned up the wiring with a junction box and remounted new safety chains in double shear (I don't like welding tempered steel chain right to chassis).
20151212_094144.jpg 20151212_094222.jpg 20151212_094152.jpg 20151212_094307.jpg

That came out all well and good, so I went on to flush the brakes with mineral spirits in preparation for conversion to BFS...
Well, I started power bleeding the right wheels, but all the fluid came out on the left side... Hmmm.

I pulled all the drums and 3 of them looked like this:
20151212_164159.jpg
A little under-loved, but usable...

The fourth (on the left) looked like this:
20151212_164209.jpg

...which begins to explain why the previous owner had welded the surge system...
So I bought 4 new brakes and replaced all the brake lines while I was at it.

I put in the BFS and tested, and all works great!
It's nice to have trailer brakes. Also satisfying that they are a bit better matched to my deuce than a standard civvy trailer would be.

Coming up on the to-do list:
Replace gauges with SW Heavy Duty line (Oil Press and Air already done, Water temp, Fuel, and Volt up next)
24v red LED lights for gauges
Air-ride seat conversion
Install 3 MRAP seats
Install coolant filter
install 13 CFM air compressor (in place of stock)
"shrink" and re-install cab heater
turn up fuel

ciao
lino

Last edited:

lino

lino

That bears a striking resemblance to the twin cylinder compressors that came on some multifuels... but I don't know the cfm rating on them.
Here are a few pics of the compressor. Again, the head on this one requires water cooling, so I doubt it's what came on any multifuels. Mine has a 2 cylinder compressor, but it's much smaller than this.
I'll post comparison pics when I get the old one out...
20151220_123909.jpg20151220_123926.jpg20151220_123954.jpg

Air ride seat and gauges are ahead of this job anyway...

ciao
lino

Jeepsinker

Thanks for that tidbit Chris.

The tech sheet he posted says there is a plug to remove for bottom oil feed and drainback, but can be fed and drained from external lines by removing different plugs.

13 cfm would be enough to run a 1/2" impact continuously.

lino

I don't see an oil supply in the bottom of the new compressor Lino.
Ive looked thru the TM to try and understand how the stock compressor is fed oil. I couldn't find anything I felt was definitive, but it looks like there is an oil jet from the compressor bracket. They appear to be splash lubed. And a gravity drain back in bracket as well. I'll know more once I get it apart.

lino

I saw rebuilt ones from Napa for $300 but there was a $150-180 core charge on top of that!
Mine was $300 plus shipping from eBay. I had to watch for a little while for that price, but I didn't feel like it was an extraordinary deal. I'm sure you could find it for that again.
Though, I'd advise waiting until I figure out if it works...

ciao
lino

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The stock compressor gets its oil from the base it sits on. Ill try to post pics once in get back to cincinnati.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to tell you, I got to see this truck when he came to my house and the workmanship? Unbelievable. Pictures do not do justice to his design and execution. Not to mention he is one heck of a great guy. Lino was good to meet you and can't wait to see more!

dmetalmiki

Fantastic thread..great write up and really good pictures. Riveting reading..(must be(as I am 2 hours late getting to bed!)). If there was (and there should be?) a "best project of the month" then, that project would have certainly received my vote.
On reflection how about starting a best project of the month? here's my vote. Lino.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks