• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intermittent wiper upgrade?????

Drock

I looked at some past threads here and on other forums and really didn't find a conclusive answer. Has anybody done this? and what parts are REALLY needed. I know there's ah control module, and I'll need the lever. But is there ah switch in the column? And is the wiper motor different? I need ah new wiper motor anyways as the wipers are not resetting to the bottom when turned off, they just stop wherever they are when I turn them off. And the washer pump doesn't work.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've read a few posts on the issue of wipers not resetting to the bottom and there is a simple fix. Search the CUCV forum and you will find threads if you are interested in fixing the existing issue you have with your wipers.

86M10086.2L

There is a contact inside the windshield wiper transmission assembly. Looks very much like a set of ignition points. If they are dirty or fouled that can be a cause of the wipers not parking. This comes from my own personal expierence. There an be other issues as well.

Last edited:

Hasdrubal

I installed a civy tilt-steering column in mine, picked it up for $50. It has the stalk intermittent-wipe feature and the module. Best mod I've ever done, if you live somewhere where it rains, this is a must have. The motor/pump is the same. I bought a new OEM for $117, but you can take yours in as a core and get a rebuilt unit from most parts places.

richingalveston

I did the same tilt column change. My wipers worked on high for a while and quit last week. The only changes is the intermittent module at the bottom of the steering column and the switch I the steering column. A salvaged my parts form a suburban. The module may be bad and now I think my motor is bad. I am going to change the motor then the module if needed.

module plugs into existing wiring. just change one part(switch), add the module and you will have the intermittent feature.

Drock

There is a contact inside the windshield wiper transmission assembly. Looks very much like a set of ignition points. If they are dirty or fouled that can be a cause of the wipers not parking. This comes from my own personal expierence. There an be other issues as well.
Well I cleaned all the contacts inside the motor today with no results. The wipers still won't park, so I'll have to put the motor on my parts list. I found ah module on eBay today for $20.00. So now I need the lever and possibly the switch inside the column.

Drock

Update... Well I got my Module ,and my new blinker/wiper lever installed the other day. As it turns out I will need a different switch inside the column. The only difference in the levers from one to another is the new one has slightly more travel when you twist it, and the corresponding markings. Now I'm trying to figure out what switch I'll need for inside the column. So far all I've bin able to find is one for the tilt wheel column. I'm not sure if that one would fit our columns or not? If anybody can find ah part number for me for an intermittent switch for a straight column it would be ah huge help! I know they used these columns in several other cars and trucks but I'm not sure if they would all plug into one another?

Drock

Well I finally found the part numbers for the wiper switch, (BWD, S3467) or (ac delco, D6283D). The cheapest I could find one for was $114.00 on amazon. Really not worth it when you can buy an entire tilt column used for around $100.00. So now I'm in the market for ah good used tilt column with intermittent wipers, if anybody has one or knows ah guy please PM me.

ammuscle

I don't know if this is any good or not but i just seen in the newest LMC catalog they have a intermittent wiper upgrade kit where you can keep your original 2 position switch. Might be worth trying out?

Drock

Yeah I saw that too. Only problem is it's for 73-77 that has the wiper switch on the dash, and it's $73.00 + shipping. So that pretty much puts us right back into the territory of ah whole column again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks