• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

flat tow HMMWV

skywrangler

Will be picking up an HMMWV this week and plan to flat tow.

Most believe drive shafts should be removed.

Since I will be going 75 miles, I was thinking of starting and allowing the HMMWV to idle with tranny and transfer in neutral during tow to allow transmission pump to be powered.

Any thoughts?

thanks

ke5eua

Will be picking up an HMMWV this week and plan to flat tow.

Most believe drive shafts should be removed.

Since I will be going 75 miles, I was thinking of starting and allowing the HMMWV to idle with tranny and transfer in neutral during tow to allow transmission pump to be powered.

Any thoughts?

thanks
Even at idle the pump wouldn't spin fast enough.

Technically with the transfer in neutral you are disconnecting the link between the transmission and drive line.

Personally I would disconnect the shafts at the diffs and just secure them to the frame so you don't have to remove them completely. Just make sure you secure them well.

I have flat towed and wrecker towed them with just putting the transfer in neutral but the circumstances really didn't allow for the convince of removing parts. I can say we never worried about the drive line when flat towing one from the field.

Your mileage may vary.

skywrangler

Even at idle the pump wouldn't spin fast enough.

Technically with the transfer in neutral you are disconnecting the link between the transmission and drive line.

Personally I would disconnect the shafts at the diffs and just secure them to the frame so you don't have to remove them completely. Just make sure you secure them well.

I have flat towed and wrecker towed them with just putting the transfer in neutral but the circumstances really didn't allow for the convince of removing parts. I can say we never worried about the drive line when flat towing one from the field.

Your mileage may vary.

Alright then!

I think that settles that!

Thanks!

KansasBobcat

Never flat towed. I have driven 65mph with no problem but not with run flats or bias ply tires. I would expect some balance issues so would stop and check fasteners such as lug nuts etc. I am sure you will check geared hubs and differentials before starting. If you have the early parking brake be sure it does it is not dragging as this has caused fires. Borrow a spare tire/wheel as most do not have one and the tires are not commonly available many places. Good luck and welcome.

Gunzy

As A wrecker operater I highly recommend disconnecting the driveshafts at the diffs. When the t-case is in neutral the internal pump will not operate which would burn t-case. Check front and rear diff fluids and check hub drives for proper lube. I would also stop in about 25 miles to check lug nut torque and hub temps.

ke5eua

As A wrecker operater I highly recommend disconnecting the driveshafts at the diffs. When the t-case is in neutral the internal pump will not operate which would burn t-case. Check front and rear diff fluids and check hub drives for proper lube. I would also stop in about 25 miles to check lug nut torque and hub temps.
Didn't know the transfer had an oil pump, thought it was oil bath. Learn something new.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since we are practically neighbors(I live in the US too), why not swing by my place and borrow my trailer?

greenjeepster

For 75 miles just hire a roll back to get it... the couple hundred bucks will be well worth it. I can't tell you how many times I have gone to retrieve stuff my self to save a buck and it ended up costing me more than hiring it out would have. Last items were a couple of trailers. Cost me 2 days and a 200.00 trailer tire for a trip that should have been 5 hours round trip.

If you blow a tire on that hmmwv flat towing it.... you will have a really hard time finding one on the side of the highway.

Very good point as they have a offset that cucv wheels dont have, he would be advised to carry a pair of spares, if he does go through with flat towing it even if he does drop the drivelines.

Not that I am any towing expert but I thought these things had np205 transfer cases, IMO if they did I would put it in neutral and pull it but if its a t case that has a oil pump and the oil pump wont be turning if its in neutral than pull the shafts.. or trailer it and dont worry about the tcase or shafts.

Get er done..

For 75 miles just hire a roll back to get it... the couple hundred bucks will be well worth it. I can't tell you how many times I have gone to retrieve stuff my self to save a buck and it ended up costing me more than hiring it out would have. Last items were a couple of trailers. Cost me 2 days and a 200.00 trailer tire for a trip that should have been 5 hours round trip.

If you blow a tire on that hmmwv flat towing it.... you will have a really hard time finding one on the side of the highway.

jeremymx26

I would follow the TM and remove the shafts. Lots of great information in the TMs. Well worth the time to read them.

Site rule to have your state of residence.:rules:

hummer4x4guy

I DID flat tow my humvee about 60-70 miles when I moved from Flushing Mi to Lansing Mi. I did take the backroads and no highways and I have had no issues since the move in 2009. Just my two cents.

olewhiskey

Just had a friend flat tow one. Disconnect at the diffs 10 minutes, tie shafts out of way. 340 miles no problems. Was confirmed by an army Humvee mechanic this was the way to flat tow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks