• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Runs wide open on start up!

USMCWARWAGON

I just purchased my first Deuce. The guy I bought it from said that a friend of his tried to "turn up the fuel" on it and couldnt get it to run after that. So it has sat for probably a year until I got it. Got it home and there was no fuel at the injectors. I bled the filters pump lines, all the way up to the injector lines. I then pulled the injector head off and found that the retainer clip and what appears to be some sort of jet had come off the spring on the bottom of the injector head. I put the "jet" and clip back on, reinstalled the injector head, bled the lines and presto, I had fuel at the injectors. Tried to start it up, and it fired up wide open. Did that 3 times. Any suggestions? Also, I think the retainer clip and "jet" came off again, tried to start it again and now back to no fuel at injectors.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It is probable that it came off again. I have new ones from Ambac if you decide you want one. With it starting at WFO, I'm betting the fuel shut off rod is sticking.

On the side of your IP should be the plunger you pull to shut off your motor. Take that cover off and there will be a lever under there. That lever needs to move freely. It should be at the 7 O'clock position normally. That is "WFO". if you push it back toward the firewall, that is the "off" position.

Check that out and post back what you find.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you re installed the HH, are you SURE that the tip (Plunger sleeve pin) on the fuel control rod is engaged with the Plunger sleeve?

Hydrolic Head 1.gif

And does the fuel control rod move freely. There should be no resistance at all.

Fuel rod (1).jpg

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't help but give kudos to USMCWARWAGON, the "newbie" Deuce owner who enthusiastically tears into the hydraulic head within minutes of owning his first deuce. That is a place where some grown men fear to tread! I see a lot of optimism!
:grd:

USMCWARWAGON

Lol! I cant say I did it without fear! I was pretty much terrified the whole time while taking it apart! I have never broke into a IP before. I do have a little diesel experience, I was a diesel mechanic in the Marines. I really didnt have much of a choice, I cant afford to buy a new IP!

USMCWARWAGON

This is what I got. Took the HH off and yes the retainer clip and "jet" had come off the plunger again. Clipped it back on (its not tight, may need a new one), lined up the plunger drive gear and re installed the HH. Re installed fuel control rod. Before I put the dust cover back on, I turned on the fuel, and fuel poured out of it. Is that good or bad? Or do I need to try to find another IP? I checked orings as i put back together, they looked ok.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the fuel control rod installed and the cover off, you should not get fuel coming out. Only oil when the engine is running.

The o ring on the fuel control rod is a number 13

Here is a member selling all three o-rings
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ulic-head-o-rings-for-multifuel-injector-pump

Also here are the o-ring sizes.
Large O-Ring: 2.484 x .139 = -230 or 230 (depending on which standard)
Small O-ring: 2.109 x .139 = -227 or 227 (depending on which standard)
Actuator O-Ring: .426 x .070 = -013 or 013 (depending on which standard)

The link in post #3 has sources for the clips.