• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr long-term durability and painting over CARC and civilian gloss paint

Naqeeb

I am restoring a 1986 M1009. I swapped the CARC-painted hood and fender with civilian ones in better shape; the new ones are painted in a normal civilian gloss-type of paint. I want to paint the truck with FS #24052 (USMC semi gloss forest green); Behr Premium Plus Ultra or Marqee (not sure; any recommendations). This truck will be my only vehicle and a daily driver that I plan to drive for years and want it to be something I can meet clients/landowners in (I am a forester but do have to look professional) Had 12,000 miles on it when I got it a few months back, been at local bodywork guy's house/shop since. A few questions:

1. Will there be any difference in final texture or sheen between the glossy civilian pain and the rest of the truck still in CARC once painted over in the 24052? Anyone with experience with this?
2. Are people using Behr paint because it is cheap and great paint for the money or it is really that good. I get the impression from reading the forums here it is that good. But; I assume most people are painting a second truck and not really a daily driver so they don't want to spend a ton of money for something that sees occasional use and the Behr paint is excellent stuff for the money. I don't fall into that category, I want to a high quality paint on it. Not saying Behr isn't, I just don't know the reason for choosing it.
3. The sticky and other Behr posts have posts going back a while but I can't find much about people's experience with the Behr paint years down the road. Long term durability?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you read the paint threads a lot of the guys love the Behr Marquee paint.

I may try it on something to see if I like it, maybe my Deuce since the MERDC sux and it would even if it was new. :-(

Brad900

Here is where I used Behr house paint 10 years ago with before & after pics. The first pic is right after I painted the bracket & second is today(10 years later). I had to wipe off the chalking. IMG_1793.jpgIMG_0363.jpg
These next two are of my turret. The first is showing the chalking. The second is showing after I wiped it down. The pipe on the left is the exhaust, center is the turret & the right is the windshield frame. The exhaust & windshield frame is the original navy paint job
IMG_0375.jpgIMG_0382.jpg

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My friend you just can't go wrong with behr.
Look at my profile I paint everything with it
It even holds up good on exhaust pipe.

Naqeeb

Thanks for the replies. I did get two samples from Home Depot the other day. I will probably paint some test sections on the CARC and the civilian gloss and see if there is a difference once it cures/dries. The Home Depot was able to immediately pull up the FS numbers based on the instructions I got in the sticky. I saw on some posts that some people were having trouble getting HD to pull up the FS numbers. From what I read here it was due to a VOC change, vendor change in the paint mixing equipment, or a change in their system/cleaning out old paint codes. I saw several reasons, don't know if one or any is true.

6x6guy

Just make sure you rough up the area with a 3 M abrasive pad to make sure the paint adheres to the surface and clean the area with a chemical degreaser to clean the road grime and paint off to make sure you have a good bond between the paint and surface area.

Last edited:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a bad idea but the only thing I have done for prep is spray truck with purple power full no dulting and pressure wash.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks