• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brutus Coast to Coast

TB58

Well my last trip ended sooner than expected but will be trying again. Got all kinds of stuff done to include a new transmission. I am feeling carefully optimistic that after all the work I should be able to make it to Ft Bragg NC by September 6.

Tomorrow I will be leaving California Via 80 to Cheyenne, down to 70. Then on to 64, 77 and finally to various smaller highways to Bragg. I am going to plan on 250 - 300 miles a day. Will be driving solo this time so driving time will be a little less. One last check and final pack in the morning and its on the road.

IMG_0688.jpg

TB58

Thanks for the support. I will try and be better about updates on this leg. Tommy, thanks i will keep your number handy.

Will be pulling out of Santa Rosa in a few minutes. Brutus feels tight and ready to run. With the new transmission and work weve done he is a lot quieter going down the road. Til my next stop....

Terrance
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

TB58

Chugged my way up to Donner Summit. Did a lot of driving at 20 mph. 980-1000*on the EGT, 6lbs of boost and 2000 rpm got me up the worst of the hills. Water temp got up to about 185*. So far all seems to be working as advertised. I stopped at the summit to look things over and let everything cool down. Will be back on the road in a few.

Windshield open and everything else closed really does work. I was a little sceptical but I am convinced now.

Attachments

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in Augusta, GA near FT Gordon in case you're passing by and need help, or just a cold drink. I'm also just a few minutes from SECO.

I've never driven my Deuce between duty stations during a PCS, you inspire me! Keep her between the lines, good luck, and Godspeed.

Last edited:

TB58

It has been a fun day, conversations at pit stops, acting as a speed bump going up hills and wonderful temps. Made about 300 miles in just under 9 hours including stops. I pulled off down the offramp to Jessup Nv. Brutus is running well and I'm feeling pretty good. Going to get up nice and early and get on the road. I have some pictures of where I stopped, when I get better internet I will post them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wonderful news. This the way deuce roadtrips are supposed to be. Trust me, you are not the only one that was ever sceptical of the windshield trick. Not one person has ever reported that it wasn't hands down the best way to ride.

Last edited:

TB58

Got a bit of a late start this morning. I realized that I havent added oil in a ver long time yet it is still completely full. Decided to bypass the FDC and turn down my fuel. Also my hubs were running a little hotter than I would like so I loosened them a little. Drove 100 miles to Winnemucca and there is a huge difference on the fuel. The EGT is so much more manageable. I can keep the power in longer and at the top of the hills the EGT drops off a lot faster. Will be changing my oil as soon as I get a chance.

TB58

While I am looking into how to stop my fuel leak I figured I would share some pictures
First night on the road I spent at the Jessup Nv offramp. Had I known then that Jessup was a ghost town I probably would have spent the night in town.
IMG_0709.jpgIMG_0708.jpgIMG_0707.jpgIMG_0706.jpgIMG_0705.jpgIMG_0704.jpgIMG_0703.jpg
My view out of bed when I woke up.
IMG_0710.jpg
Lunch on Day two, hows that for a meal in the back of a Deuce?
IMG_0711.jpgIMG_0712.jpg
And where I spend the night last night Just West of West Wendover Nv. Now I am in town trying to figure out my fuel leak. We will see where I go from here.
IMG_0713.jpgIMG_0714.jpg

TB58

Well today is a down day, waiting until tomorrow to get parts. But the upside is I now have good internet and was able to upload a video from two days ago. Probably the best Brutus has run to date. Crossing most of Nevada. The sound can be a bit annoying but I left it in there so you can hear the motor at 20x fast forward. Almost sounds like I am driving a formula car. About the 50 second mark I pull out of a rest stop and you can hear it well. I could hardly stop laughing the first time i played it through.
https://youtu.be/HLDNqsPXArE

I didn't know that if you call roadside assistance and you mention a fuel leak they will call 911 and have the Fire Department come out to clear the scene. I was very hesitant to have her do this, I didn't want them flying out there expecting a tanker truck on its side and in flames. The lady assured me they do this all the time and made the call with me on the line. Multiple times I assured the dispatcher that no one was in danger and there was no reason to panic anyone. They assured me that they would pass the info along. First on the scene was a deputy, followed shortly by the fire fighters. They asked me where the fuel leak was, they looked under Brutus and at me and essentially asked, why were they called out for that. I explained that the roadside assistance people had to hear from a first responder that the scene was secure. We all had a little laugh about that and made the phone call.

Of course the second call I get a different person and have to give all my info over again. I then ask if she would like to talk to the fire fighter who cleared the scene. she is confused by this but agrees to talk to him. Once all of that is done she tells me she is calling the towing company. I remind her that my rig is 30 ft long and not exactly light. She says she understands, gives me the info for the towing company she will call and ends the call. I called the towing company a few minutes later just to be sure they got the right info. Sure enough they were about to head my way with a standard car wrecker. I send him a picture of Brutus and he says it will take a bit longer to get the semi wrecker to me. By the end of the evening brutus is towed to Ogden Utah, has set a personal speed record and is awaiting parts.

So in the whole getting towed thing I got to meet a Deputy and a few firefighters from Wendover Utah. My first encounter with officials with Brutus. I was a little concerned at first with the appearance off Brutus and being labeled as some waco and dealt with accordingly. The deputy was a little cautious at first but after talking to me for a few minutes warmed up to me. By the time it was all done each of them complimented me on the rig and went about their day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks