• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tim292stro's M1009 (formerly math1960's)

tim292stro

M1009 has the Roscomon 12V conversion I'll be undoing (bringing back 24V portion), spin on filter and doghead mods I'm leaving, I'll be putting the antennas that I bought from 86humv which will require installing the other antenna bracket and the brush guards, and wiring an incognito CarPuter into the ammo can center console and custom amp brackets under the seats (using seat mount bolts to hold them in), and popping a ToughBook docking station monitor to the dashboard radio mount. All of the radio/CarPuter will be completely removable and no permanent irreversible modifications to the original base truck will be done.

It will be painted Tan (686A, 33446).

Last edited:

joshuak

Congrats on the purchase Tim, may this vehicle serve you and family well. Thanks for sharing your ideas and upgrades.:beer:

Math, good luck on your Masters degree![thumbzup]

Last edited:

tim292stro

On the theme of non-permanent modifications, I will be dry-ice blasting the body, painting the interior 383 Green, and restoring or replacing the door cards and dash pad with new new Maroon parts. New seat covers and foam (probably from a local upholstery shop).

Dry ice blasting is a "cool" way to not warp sheet-metal parts while taking off paint - it also doesn't add to the mess since it undergoes a phase change when it hits the surface being blasted (going from a solid to a vapor, expanding rapidly taking the junk with it). Makes it easier to suck up the old CARC with a HEPA vacuum. It's also gentle on the original metal, thereby not taking much of it at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_9nITRz--0

tim292stro

I'm going to have it done at a shop. It can be done with harbor freight gear too, but you need such a big compressor for the CFMs it just makes no sense to me to own that stuff right now. Some day :)

Last edited:

tim292stro

I really have to thank Wally (math1960) for working with the transportation company to get the M1009 handed off last night - errr... this morning. Above and beyond the call of duty doing that at a truck stop at 0030... Thank you again for that!!!

I'm sure I'll end up yelling over the phone at the transit company before this is done. aua

tim292stro

Delivered today on schedule, no new damage to report, the only detail I missed in my photo/video inspection with math1960 is the passenger wing vent latch missing.

Seems like everything I expected to have working, was. Window gaskets and some trim needs to be replaced, horn button needs to be installed, and the common key locks need to be replaced (have those parts already).

Drove 5-miles across town after delivery to get back to my kids' birthday party, ran great!! It was worth the asking price for sure.

0912151252_small.jpg

Last edited:

rsh4364

Good to hear of a happy purchase.When I bought my 86 1009 I was so pumped for it to get delivered,then really upset when it got delivered.I bought it online trusting picts. and seller,and never again.

Last edited:

tim292stro

There are only a few little rock strikes where rust has formed, the "rust" the shipping company saw was actually NATO 3-color showing through the 383 green. Need to repair the glow plug system, there is a toggle switch now... everything else works. :) No leaks [thumbzup]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks