• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce air ride seat?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
There is no such thing as a an air ride seat for the deuce, but there is a spring ride seat that many of the newer ones had. You might be able to find one on ebay, or around here on occasion. There are some threads on HEMTT seats that were added that you could search for. Might be able to swap one from a commercial truck.

acetomatoco

remember that if you are a person of size, the already cramped cab is further compromised by the spring and shock ride seat ....for folks like me who grew up in these trucks, the original seat is the better alternative...for sure...

stancanpara

Thanks,

I had heard that the M35A3 had an air ride. I think I'll stick with the spring/shock. I just need to get some foam rubber. My deuce obviously sat for many many years without a top, all the foam is GONE... :?

sermis

Find a truck scrap yard or a trucking company with several scrap trucks out back. With the flat floor in the deuce get an air ride and it will be fit for a king...........

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a stack of NOS ones in the wooden crates, stacked out in the back 100 acres at Colemans last time I was there. Been outside for a LONG time, so I'm not sure they are in the best shape....

LanceRobson

I'm 6'4" and 235. I've got a spring base with a CUCV bucket seat in one of my trucks. I had been concerned about loosing legroom and winding up too close to the steering wheel.

As it turns out, the bucket sits an inch or so higher than the stock seat and actually increased the legroom. It's a lot more comfortable sitting position, especially for long rides and rough terrain. I've never felt like I lost any arm room.

Overall, it's enough improvement that I got 2 more spring bases from Coleman's for $20 apiece (thanks to OLDCEV4X4) and am going to replace both seats in my M35A2C.

It's an inexpensive and quick mod that's worth considering.

Lance

bgekky3

I just drove 1800 miles in my truck with my wife and cat. I had plans for two air seats out of semis $75 each, but I felt too close to the steering wheel with the air ride on my side. The seats were too tall and I have to do some mods to get mine in. I am goin go take the headrest off so I can move it back. I am 6'1" and 185lbs. I put two layers of insulation and the old carpet out of my living room after I put in laminate flooring to get rid of the oil stains to sell the house. My wife made the seat covers.

Attachments

Mackfire68

I replaced the old seat in my fire truck with a real nice high back air ride seat. I got it from a truck salvage yard and I think I paid about $150 bucks for it. I drilled a couple of holes in the floor and added an air line, easy instalation. New seats can be bought for about $350 or more from most commercial truck dealers. I never looked at the measuments to see if an air ride seat would work in my duece but it sure made a big differance in my fire truck. When I get some extra cash, I'll look into installing an air ride seat in my duece. I saw at Coleman's they had a duece with high back car seats in it, they looked comfortable but not original enough, the seat in my fire truck looked like it was ordered from the factory. (color matched, Mack Logo) Just my 2 cents worth.

QUESTION?
My duece has a hand crank under the seat, what is it supposed to do? No matter which way I crank it nothing changes. :roll:

TBigLug

Thanks for the input. I'll probably try and mount a spring mount on the driver's side for me (6'5 350) and an air ride on the passenger side for the wife (5'3 120). Won't look the same but it will be a working truck, not so much a show truck.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
QUESTION?
My duece has a hand crank under the seat, what is it supposed to do? No matter which way I crank it nothing changes. :roll:
It puts preload on the spring. That should make it go up/down slower or faster.

Also, I got some seats from a charter bus and mounted them on my springer base. Very cheap and very comfortable.

Crazyguyla

The A3 has a highback bucket spring seat. I tried serching PS magazine for the kit to install the seat into an A2. I had ordered one for my LAARNG maint duece. The truck, if it wasn't cannabalized , is probably sitting at Camp Bueragard, La awaiting auction. I haven't been to my old unit since I went back active after Katrina. That was one comfrotable seat. The dial on front was calibrated for the driver's wieght.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have two air ride seats out of a Freightshaker that I am itching to install in the 816.
With my back and neck problems I have to have some relief from the stock deuce and 5 ton ride.
I am having the air seats and one spring seat covered with the material from military issue shelter halves (GP Tinys) that I got at Clinto's rally last year.
I will post pics when they are done.

wsucougarx

It's a toss up for me on the seats. I love the spring seat for a comfortable trip for the bottom but a sore neck from having to hunch over to see under the wiper motor. The box seat affords great visual w/the compromise of a sore rump. The box seats also allows for storage:). Hmmm, looking for a spring seat right now

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks