• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone with hemtt/grove m977 crane - where's the dataplate?

dma251

I am searching on my Grove MHC977 telescoping crane for the dataplate with serial# and haven't been able to find it. Anyone out there have any idea where it may be hidden?

Also - I have a wanted-ad posted in the classifieds for anyone that might have some idea where to find the wired-remote control for the same crane. It is a p/n 2-198-6-00053 , and I'll attach a pic below if anyone has seen one, please let me know. It's not very conplex, and I could probably find someone to build one for me, but it would be much easier to just locate one somewhere. I'm sure somebody's got one collecting dust on some shelf somewhere...

Thanks,
Damon

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Anyone with hemtt/grove m977 crane - where

Spicergear has one of the groves on his deuce. BKUBU has an M977 with the Grove crane and at one point had 2 of the wired remotes but don't know if he still does. PM Bruce.

sermis

RE: Anyone with hemtt/grove m977 crane - where

I saw 2 NOS controlers today when I picked up some parts. I had no use for them so left them there. I might still have on in the shop, I will check later.

dma251

Well - from the looks of that controller I'd say it is either the same, or could be the same with a modest amount of splicing. Here are some pics of the M1089A1 FMTV wrecker crane - it sure looks a lot like my MHC977 Grove. Even the control valves look the same.

What do you all think? Is it the same?

-Sermis - PM sent. Thanks for looking for me.

Attachments

spicergear

That's not the same crane. It's close, and does positively have striking similiarities, but it's not the same. The one above has more web bracing along with the lift eye on the mast. Another stand out is the size of the upper cylinder as it sits nested like that. That cylinder is visually larger than the M977's. Spent as much time elbow deep in one and there's a bunch of little things changed even though fist glance looks to be the same.

The valve banks are supposed to be the same between the M984 and M977 cranes even the the 984 is higher capacity.

The serial# and data tag should be a pretty large plate on both sides of the crane just above the swing gear on the heavy side plates where the four big hydraulic cylinders have their lower mount.

dma251

Sorry - When I said "is it the same?" I meant "is the controller the same?". I should have wrote that a little clearer. I noticed the differences you mention - and it definitely seems shorter in the length of the mast, but my concern was is there much likelyhood that the remote controller Sermis posted pics of would work on my hemtt crane.

I guess my data plates must be missing - because they are sure not where they should be. Do you have screw or rivet holes on the corners of your crane data plates? That might help me tell if they have been removed from mine.

Thanks for the help - What do you think about the controller deal?

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I think that I have one of those controllers. I got it on eBay with thoughts of modifying my M543A2's crane controls for remote operation. I never knew what this controller went to, because it doesn't have any identifying markings on it.

I'd sure like to have the crane that goes with this control! I think that a cargo truck with a fairly heavy-duty knuckleboom crane would meet my needs better than my wrecker does.

If you need this control more than I do, maybe we can work something out. PM me with a trade offer if you're interested.

I had a hard time getting my dogs to stay out of the way while I snapped these pictures. They all were curious about the control and wanted to smell it. :)

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Send them both and DMA can fill us in on the rest of the story! Would they fit in a 10.00 flat rate shipping box?

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I think they're a bit too big for a flat rate box. They're bigger than they look in the pictures... those knobs are about the same size as gear shift knobs.

dma251

I have that data plate on my crane, but it doesn't include any serial numbers. It seems to be more of the weight/capacity spec data.

There must be a smaller plate somewhere that has a serial number on it.

BradBMI

Hi
Any of you guys still have one of these controllers?

I have a M985 missing the controller.

Let me know

Thanks

Brad

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks