• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rusty Primer and Behr Paint over existing paint.. to use or not to use?

VenomInjected

Guys,

In the dissasembly stage of my rig and prepping for a Cummins 5.9L and Ford F350 Dana 60KP/Sterling 10.25 axle swap on my 67' Kaiser M-715. The jeep has yellow DNR paint over the original Olive drab. The DNR paint has survived 30+ years. And I'll never be able to remove all of it. Curious what everyones thoguhts are on scuffing 120 grit and 220 grit on the yellow, then overspraying rustoleum rusty metal primer atop the yellow... and then spraying Behr Ultra Premium House Exterior in 24052 color. (USMC Forest Green).

Is this the way I should approach or do you think throwing the Behr right atop the existing scuffed up paint would be OK. (The truck has VERY little (IE almost zero) rust.... only rust is surface on the bed floor. (which will be rhino lined eventually anyways.

Thoughts?

Rustoleum Rusty Primer atop the DNR yellow... then Behr... OR

Behr atop the DNR yellow... without primer.

Thoughts?

IMG_0389.jpg

kfrosty

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll piggy back on here. I was all set to go with Rusty Metal on some hmmwv's I'm prepping where I had to go down to the metal. However, I'm being warned by some that Latex will not last long on top of an oil based primer. I'm interested to hear more thoughts on this and anybody out there who has done this more than a year or two ago, how's the paint holding up?

THe behr I got yesterday, they indicated it has primer mixed in. I'm not planning on putting primer on any areas that have the Carc underneath. Would appreciate input.

THanks.

DanM7890

Never apply oil based paint over latex, it's latex over oil. I'm not sure who you talked with about that but people have been putting latex over oil for a long time since the VOC rating has became more strict.

mikey

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll piggy back on here. I was all set to go with Rusty Metal on some hmmwv's I'm prepping where I had to go down to the metal. However, I'm being warned by some that Latex will not last long on top of an oil based primer. I'm interested to hear more thoughts on this and anybody out there who has done this more than a year or two ago, how's the paint holding up?

THe behr I got yesterday, they indicated it has primer mixed in. I'm not planning on putting primer on any areas that have the Carc underneath. Would appreciate input.

THanks.
I painted my truck in May 2012. Behr over Rustoelum. Latex over oil based primer. 4 years later it looks fantastic still. I should add that the front wheel came off another truck last year and hasn't been painted. Also the bumper got chipped from hitting trees and I sanded it down to bare metal but never got around to repainting. There are SOME spots on the bed and fenders where rust did come back through but I'll hit those with POR15 when I touch this up in the summer.

May 2012

389647_3232149171486_811122016_n.jpg542936_3232157851703_1026677254_n.jpg542936_3232157611697_1994472921_n.jpg554677_3232162291814_1197792598_n.jpg

April 2016

12717769_10205752448079311_6661311652033117699_n.jpg

There are whole threads dedicated to behr paint where people have used rustoleum underneath. You can listen to those who assume or those who have done it. Your call.

Mikey

paradeduty

We did the Behr Exterior Latex (383 equiv color) over both blasted clean metal (bed, crane, frame, rims) on the HMTT (HEMTT Prototype) with the Rustoleum Primer, and then the same Behr over the CARC Paint on the aluminum Kenworth cab (no need to take it down, nor did I want to get into priming aluminum) on the HMTT - been over 3 years and looks great.

TCD

Howdy,

Just a quick note about the Behr paint with primer mixed in...

I painted a house with the Behr/primer paint and it Did Not Turn Out Well (Northern NV with lots of hot sun in the summer)!

When I took samples to Home Depot the paint manager told me I was a Big Dummy for not using a separate primer and all of my spotting and lifting paint problems were because of my not using a separate primer. His comment was "I don't give a **** what some brochure says...."

Just say'n so YMMV...

Happy Tails,
tom n tyler

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hit the rust with a wire brush and then use Tractor Supply red oxide primer on the rusty areas. I paint over the primer with Behr. No problems with adhesion.

Smokinyoda

When painting latex over oil based primer how long do you let the primer dry before painting? Have heard that it's best to wait up to 2 weeks to allow primer to off-gas, but not sure how true it is.

tobyS

Is there a color palette for military paints? All branches?
Yes, google the subject....many images.

Here is my brush and roller job. Holds up well and really easy to touch up. I did black enamel in the bed to keep it sliding

100_3577.jpg100_3573.jpg

Last edited:
Used Rustoleum rusty metal primer on mine. Prepped rusty areas with high speed wire wheel on an angle grinder. On the areas with good CARC i used a palm DA sander. Going on one year and no adhesion issues. I'm sure there are reasons not to go this route but so far I'm pretty happy. ;) I let the primer dry one week btw.

Attachments

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When painting latex over oil based primer how long do you let the primer dry before painting? Have heard that it's best to wait up to 2 weeks to allow primer to off-gas, but not sure how true it is.
YES. If the primer is an enamel, it is best to wait approximately 3 weeks for it to fully "gas out" and cure properly. Afterwards, lightly scuff it and apply the Behr for best results.

Several companies make a rust reformer. I think it chemically reacts with rust and somewhat neutralizes it, or maybe just slows it down. I used it on my flatbed and it worked. With only primer over it, 5 years later of snow and no rust signs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks