• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you bolt radio antenna mounts to truck?

scottladdy

Instructions are not in the PM's a previously stated. However, parts are indicated in the -20P in figure 201 and page 201-1.

5/16-18 threaded rivnuts/nutserts. 5/16-18 bolts.

When drilling out the old rivnuts, be careful not to exceed the diameter of the hole required for the replacement rivnuts. As stated before, they are sensitive to the correct diameter hole in order to grip properly. You may need a specific drill bit size not usually included in sets or indexes.

You may also need to hold the old rivnut from turning. I usually use a small pair of vice grips on the flange. Also, be very careful not to drill into the inner panel. This is especially easy to do on the upper rivnut holes as the inner panel is much closer to the outer in that location.

Good luck with the restoration.

nyvram

A big thanks to richingalveston for sending me the original fullsized antenna bracket installation images.

I've rotated and compiled them into a single PDF file I'll attach here.

Warthog, or whoever, feel free to add this to the CUCV TM "accessories" or however you want to do that as it appears this contains the full packing list and instructions and the resolution of these images is very good when not shrunk down for the forum as they were originally.

thanks again richingalveston!

View attachment CUCV M1009 Antenna Bracket Installation Guide.pdf

Last edited:

rhinob

I was THIS close to needing this advice....thanks Sharecropper!

You need 1/4"-20 Heavy Duty Rivet Nuts from McMaster Carr. http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/121/3306/=zgujfw

Don't buy the aluminum - get the Zinc Chromate plated steel ones 95105A143 for $9.08 for a pack of 25. You will also need a sharp 25/64 drill and a tool to install the rivet nut. McMaster sells the tool for $30 http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/121/3309/=zgun2q but a lot of guys make their own. Basically you position the antennae mount where you want it, mark the holes with a Sharpie, then drill the 25/64 holes. The rivet nuts are sort of giant pop rivets but threaded on the inside. When they are crimped into the drilled hole, they provide a 14"-20 threaded socket to run the bolts into. Kinda neat, really.

Hope this helps.

nyvram

my son hit home depot with the 'supply list' in the above PDF and found most of the correct bolts, nuts & washers. he came home with a big bag and i think the total was less than $5. :)

we will try to thread a few bolts on today or tomorrow (if it wont stop raining) and see if we can get this put together.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My antenna bracket bolts and star washers are not SS or galvanized. They are rusting even though they're painted. Did your son buy either stainless steel or galvanized bolts, nuts, and washers?

cucvmule

collector of stuff
You need 1/4"-20 Heavy Duty Rivet Nuts from McMaster Carr. http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/121/3306/=zgujfw

Don't buy the aluminum - get the Zinc Chromate plated steel ones 95105A143 for $9.08 for a pack of 25. You will also need a sharp 25/64 drill and a tool to install the rivet nut. McMaster sells the tool for $30 http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/121/3309/=zgun2q but a lot of guys make their own. Basically you position the antennae mount where you want it, mark the holes with a Sharpie, then drill the 25/64 holes. The rivet nuts are sort of giant pop rivets but threaded on the inside. When they are crimped into the drilled hole, they provide a 14"-20 threaded socket to run the bolts into. Kinda neat, really.

Hope this helps.

Yep looked up an older thread and Sharecropper did all the heavy lifting. Thanks the information is still good but a little increase for time, 8.5 years. :) Having an existing account helps also. Great place for what I am always looking for.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks