• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Upgrades

kenet3621

I got my 1994 LMTV in mid October and have enjoyed learning about it.
Some information and pictures as I make modifications to the vehicle.
Before and after pictures of the work done so far on making the van "fresher".

BEFORE:
Van Inside Before (2).jpgVan Inside Before (3).jpgVan Inside Before (5).jpgVan Inside Before (6).jpgVan Inside Before (1).jpg

SO FAR:
Floor: Removed rust and repainted with Valspar Gray Skid Proof paint
Walls: Cleaned and repainted with paint matched by Lowe's to original color
Ceiling: Fixtures removed and cleaned and ceiling cleaned with Purple Power
Outlets: All plates replaced with stainless steel and relabeled
Lighting: 110 volt and DC lights (Blackout and Override) all working (there were some disconnected wires behind the wall plates)
Locker: Bought on Craigslist

Van Electrical (5).jpgVan Electrical (3).jpgVan Inside Cabinet (3).jpgVan Inside Cabinet (7).jpg

OTHER:
I have replaced both headlights so I can run H4 bulbs and they really make a lot of positive difference.

FUTURE:
Backup camera mounted but need to wire to cab and monitor.
Complete 110 Volt connector to RV plug.
Big Buddy Heater for the van to hang on the left of the locker.
Touch up painting on the outside.
Dash console for powering accessories.

Thanks to all the Steel Soldiers who have helped me!

agazza2

Wow, very impressive. This is a very nice looking truck LMTV. Keep up the good work and keep us informed of the projects you do to this vehicle.

kenet3621

I bought a Big Buddy heater and a carbon monoxide detector for the van. Should keep me warm should winter ever come to SC this year.
CO Detector (3).jpg

I installed the backup camera and ran the wires into the cab for testing. I will send better pictures once I get the cab wiring completed.

Backup Cam (9).jpg
Backup Cam (6).jpg

kenet3621

Outlet box completed and installed. I rotated it so I could see the voltmeter on the front of the box (the sunlight was too bright for me to see the meter when it was on the top of the box).

Cab box (5).jpgCab box (3).jpg

I highly recommend getting a backup camera. It sure offers a great "comfort factor" when backing especially at night. It is also good to see who is riding close on your tail down the highway!

Here is the camera I got from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EYTUU3A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01

Lmtv772

Banned
Outlet box completed and installed. I rotated it so I could see the voltmeter on the front of the box (the sunlight was too bright for me to see the meter when it was on the top of the box).

View attachment 598040View attachment 598041

I highly recommend getting a backup camera. It sure offers a great "comfort factor" when backing especially at night. It is also good to see who is riding close on your tail down the highway!

Here is the camera I got from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EYTUU3A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01
does this back up camera have the side markers on the display?

kenet3621

I like the camera and display and cannot think of anything I would add to them. I can't comment on longevity since I have only had it installed a week. It was very simple to install and the display controls are easy to use. A bright screen even in daylight. The IR lights are super for backing up in the dark.

kenet3621

With the advise of another Steel Soldier member I made an air hose setup using a glad hand. Total cost less than $25 including 200 psi air hose.

IMAG1425.jpg

It works great for airing up mattresses in the van. I also have attachments for tires, balls and a blow gun for cleaning!

Thanks Andy for your help!

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a handy setup. I've not used a gladhand for air source on LMTV. Do you connect to the trailer emergency gladhand (not service gladhand) and simply enable trailer brakes with red knob?

kenet3621

It was very simple to use.

1) connect the gladhand to the red connector
2) start engine (I had lots of dirt to blow out of the cab)
3) press in the trailer air supply red knob
4) release the parking brake (if parking brake engaged, no air flow). I have my wheels chocked!
5) blow that dirt and junk out!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks