• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Upgrades

agazza2

My latest project was to "fill" the space on the front of the van with a metal sheet. I have been getting 5.61 miles per gallon of fuel. I figured the "hole" in the middle (see BEFORE photo) was catching a lot of air since it had a "roof" over it. I hope I can improve my mileage somewhat by "filling" that space. A piece of 1/8" sheet metal did the trick. Once I get another tank of fuel I should be able to tell if this made any positive difference.

A fairing in the roof of the cab would probably help with fuel mileage so your not pushing wind against the flat surface. Would be nice to have brackets so you could take it off if you did not see a significant increase in mileage.

kenet3621

It had been bugging me that the front sling guide plates on the van did not extend as they were supposed to. Today I decided to work on them. After lots of Liquid Wrench, pipe wrenching and hammering I got the two hold down pins removed and the plates extended.

Here is a diagram of where the plates are located at the top front of the van:
Lift Plate Diagram.jpg

Plates extended:
IMAG1912.jpgWings.jpgIMAG1915.jpg

Last edited:

kenet3621

At the Denton NC Rally a guy (Robert?) had replaced all the old lens in his marker lamps with new ones and they really helped the look of his vehicle.

I ordered all mine and replaced them today. The bases and connectors all got a good cleaning while I had the covers off.
Marker Lamp Replacement (3).jpg
Before and After:
IMAG1938.jpgIMAG1939.jpg
IMAG1948.jpgIMAG1950.jpg

Not a single problem until I got to the front markers on the cab. One screw broke on three of the four markers so I have to drill and tap them. Should finish up tomorrow.
IMAG1955.jpg

The night photos just don't show how much better these new lens look.

Last edited:

kenet3621

I am not sure we are allowed to post vendor information but I used Midwest Jeep Willys. They have free shipping if you buy more than $80.

Last edited:

kenet3621

I experimented on the old lens and found that 3M Rubbing Compound made them look almost new.
In the photos you can see where I did half of a red and amber lens. I now have spares!
IMAG1958.jpgIMAG1960.jpg

kenet3621

I got the compound at an O'Reilly parts store. I bought the giant bottle since I was doing some car and truck cleanup. It was about $40. Doing two vehicles I still have more than 1/2 bottle left. If I were just doing lenses I would buy the small bottle of part number 03900 for about $8.00 on Amazon.

Here is the bottle I have:
IMAG1967.jpg

coachgeo

Before you go spending lot of money on rubbing compound just to do your running lights etc. Use tooth paste. Many swear by it to help polish the clear plastic covered head lights on today's cars. Have not tried myself yet but it makes sense it would work cause many of their formula is in part rubbing compound!!!

getlost

Prospective 1079 buyer here, can anyone tell me the interior dimensions of the box? I'd like to play with some floor plan ideas. Thanks in advance.

kenet3621

Had some oil drops on the ground after the 2+ hour ride to the Rally. A friend, Robert was able to locate the source of the leak - a busted engine breather. The crack was on the back side so you could not see it from the ground. Thanks Robert!
I patched the old one with Quick Fix Bondo until the new one comes in next week.

Cracked breather
2016_Rally (33).jpgBreather (1).jpg

Temporary fix
Breather (4).jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks