• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 vx. Mitsubishi FUSO 4x4

Tango Zulu

Hello all,

I am trying to decide whether I should get a M1078 or a used manual trans 5 speed 4x4 Mitsubishi FUSO as a project platform on which to build an off road camper. After lurking and researching most of the relevant information on M1078s I could find on this forum I think I am now getting research fatigued so I thought I'd ask for people's opinions.

Basically, I am weighing the pros and cons of the M1078 against the 4x4 FUSO. Please add to the list what you can think of or elaborate on other aspects I should consider.

M1078
PROS

* Murican. Or mostly Murican. This counts double.
* Better off road capabilities than the FUSO (I presume)
* No aftermarket upgrades needed to make it off-road capable.
* Lower initial purchase price.
* 7 gears
* Much more power/torque than the FUSO.

CONS
* Perceived reliability (from what I have read here so far)
* Spare parts cost (I think?)
* Automatic trans (I prefer manual)
* Highway cruising speed compared to the FUSO
* Fuel consumption
* Lower pay load capacity than the FUSO

4x4 FUSO - manual trans (pre-2007)

PROS
* Reliability.
* Highway cruising speed.
* Fuel consumption.
* Ease of maintenance.
* Low operating cost.
* Manual transmission.
* Higher pay load capacity than the M1078

CONS
* Under-powered.
* Weak off road performance (compared to the M1078)
* Initial purchase price higher than M1078
* Cabin space. (I have read if you are over 6'3" it gets cramped. I am 6'3")

Now, just because there are more bullet points in one area than the other does not mean it is better or worse. Not all points are weighed equally.

Your input is very much appreciated. Oh and if you think there is something other like a M35A I would be better served with I am open to suggestions.

Last edited:

Lmtv772

Banned
go with a Mitsubishi Fuso SMH
have you owned a M1078? so your pro and con list has no validation right there.
You are talking to a group of LMTV owners asking their Opinion on why you should buy a Mitsubishi. I say go right ahead.
And good luck

Tango Zulu

Allow me to point out that you are asking me a question, rhetorical or not, and then proceeding to answer it yourself. To what purpose only you will know.
You clearly do not know what I have or have not owned.
Carry on with your attempt at sarcasm if it lightens up your day. I will file it away as clishmaclaver.

Last edited:

Lmtv772

Banned
What I am saying is , you may want to lurk some more or ask on a Mitsubishi Fuso forum if they think an LMTV is better.
Anyhow, I think you ask the wrong questions to the wrong people. We have what you dream of. And We would never dream of a Mitsubishi.
Oh and most of us refer to this vehicle as American made and not 'Murican'. Maybe not the right kind of language in order to make friends on a forum called steelsoldiers.

scottmandu

You are putting the cart before the horse. I would spec out the RV and pick the truck according to your constraints.

tim292stro

First, welcome to the site from California.

I don't share lmtv772's angst against you weighing your options - if I wanted an honest opinion about a specific truck I'd ask people likely to have had one IMHO... and in a differing position to that which lmtv772 presented "...we have what you dream of..." I have several friends in the military who ardently tried talking me out of a CUCV or HMMVW based on their service experience. YMMV.

I'm sure you already know:
The LMTV's were built by Stewart&Stevenson - a company more used to servicing trucks than building them. It's actually based on a European Steyr truck (Austrian), so think of it this way: A company that's never built a truck before got the U.S. domestic production rights to copy a foreign design since they didn't have any design expertise in-house, and built them on an assembly line with people who had never done vehicle manufacturing before, with a management team that had never handled vehicle production before, and without any experience in-house engineering...

So it's as "merican" as a Toasters's Strudel built by the lowest bidder, and about as well built as that sounds. :beer:

After 2012, production moved to Oshkosh - a heavy vehicle manufacturer with about 100 years of vehicle manufacturing experience... personally I'd want to wait for one of those FMTV's to come out of service (and since most are being ordered with a low signature armored cab, you likely won't be able to get your hands on one).

Next thing to think about in an RV is that you are changing the purpose a lot - there was little to no sound deadening in any of the military vehicles I've ever ridden in - even the planes I rode from Hawaii to the mainland had the bare minimum sound treatment just to keep passengers and service-people from getting physically sick from the vibrations - we still had to wear earplugs the whole ride.

I do kind of agree about thinking what you want to carry then picking a chassis - however you can also start with a chassis and figure out what you want to do with the constraints of your chassis. I'm doing this with a transit bus...

• First question is what kind of camping are you trying to do?
  • Next question is how much of the conversion work and maintenance are you planning to do?
  • Final question would be what's your budget (time/fiscal)?

DinoShepherd

This is a fun exercise. Would like to hear more about what you have in mind for the project.

I searched a bit and saw a couple of Fusos modified for adventure camping. They seem like cool rigs. But looking at one next to the other, I am having a hard time putting them in the same universe. I share the concern of military vehicle lacking in, shall we say, modern comforts. :)

Seems like the Fuso is the more practical choice, where the 1078 is just flat cool.

Keep us all posted.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After watching an LMTV with the box on the back I think I would go with anything that wasn't so unstable. Yes, we had people at the GMVR this year that worked on them and basically said they roll too easy. Not necessarily all the way over but man, watching them go over a little dip in the road and seeing how far they go would keep me puckered up all the time.

If it were me I'd use a M939 truck. To me it seems far more suitable for off-road camping. Heck, you could even bob the thing and just have 4x4.

Landbarger

I have several friends in the military who ardently tried talking me out of a CUCV or HMMVW based on their service experience. YMMV.

I had the same experience when asking buddies (Army) about LMTV or M939-series trucks. After disregarding their advice, my M929 experience has been a blast...BUT that's because it fits my plans of hauling scrap metal to the junkyard and stealing manure from local farms. I would be very interested in the FUSO's civilian accouterments if I were looking at an off-road RV.

If you were specifically looking at a surplus truck for an RV, though, I'd ask why you'd limit yourself to the M1078? Other trucks have boxes and any truck can be cleaned down to the frame and have a box or camper bolted on.

Tango Zulu

You are putting the cart before the horse. I would spec out the RV and pick the truck according to your constraints.
I would disagree with the order in which to choose. Personally I find the vehicle to be more important than the cab/ living arrangements. Size wise both trucks are fairly similar. Basically I am looking for something that can house two people and remain self sustained for a few weeks at a time. Water carrying capacity, genset power, living arrangements etc are IMO secondary at this point.

SO much aftermarket support for the Mitsu I'd lean that way, but scottmandu is 100% correct.
True. Lots of aftermarket support. The reason for it is also because it's needed. In stock form the Fuso is not very off-road-capable. Suspension work and bigger wheels are needed for sure. Then you can get fancy and install LSD's or diff locks. Also keep in mind that once you up the wheels on the Fuso you will have less effective torque at the wheels which will bog down the car even more over difficult terrain unless you change the gearing. This is one of the big drawbacks of the Fuso. I am not even sure it can negotiate sandy terrain without bogging down with some big wheels. 300 ft/lbs of torque is really nothing compared to the 630 ft/lbs of the M1078 + the 2 additional gears.

The appeal of the M1078 is that it does not require any of these upgrades. It should be far superior off road without any modifications. At least that's what I am thinking unless others here tell me that I am wrong.

I looked at both and chose the Lmtv. Lmtv is reliable, easy to maintain, large cab, regeared top speed 74mph, 8 mpg...
How does the re-gearing affect off road capability? As far as I know the transfer case on the M1078 is single speed so there is no low gear option. Have you ever tried driving through sand post re-gearing?
As far as your perception of reliability, I am glad to hear it. You seem to be one of the few who have that experience.

fuso in a heartbeat.
Based on what? Solely reliability?

I don't share lmtv772's angst against you weighing your options - if I wanted an honest opinion about a specific truck I'd ask people likely to have had one IMHO... and in a differing position to that which lmtv772 presented "...we have what you dream of..." I have several friends in the military who ardently tried talking me out of a CUCV or HMMVW based on their service experience. YMMV.

The LMTV's were built by Stewart&Stevenson - a company more used to servicing trucks than building them. It's actually based on a European Steyr truck (Austrian), so think of it this way: A company that's never built a truck before got the U.S. domestic production rights to copy a foreign design since they didn't have any design expertise in-house, and built them on an assembly line with people who had never done vehicle manufacturing before, with a management team that had never handled vehicle production before, and without any experience in-house engineering...

So it's as "merican" as a Toasters's Strudel built by the lowest bidder, and about as well built as that sounds. :beer:

After 2012, production moved to Oshkosh - a heavy vehicle manufacturer with about 100 years of vehicle manufacturing experience... personally I'd want to wait for one of those FMTV's to come out of service (and since most are being ordered with a low signature armored cab, you likely won't be able to get your hands on one).

Next thing to think about in an RV is that you are changing the purpose a lot - there was little to no sound deadening in any of the military vehicles I've ever ridden in - even the planes I rode from Hawaii to the mainland had the bare minimum sound treatment just to keep passengers and service-people from getting physically sick from the vibrations - we still had to wear earplugs the whole ride.

I do kind of agree about thinking what you want to carry then picking a chassis - however you can also start with a chassis and figure out what you want to do with the constraints of your chassis. I'm doing this with a transit bus...

• Next question is how much of the conversion work and maintenance are you planning to do?
I have a different take on the question of reliability based on how something is assembled. S&S might very well not have a resume in the business of building trucks but I think the assembly part is only one of may aspects in the production of the truck. You can somewhat bodge the assembly but if the major systems are based on quality components you can still have a long lasting product. I read on one of the threads here a member who claimed to work for Allison and he stated that the 3700 series transmissions on the M1078s were bulletproof. You couple that with the proven reliability of the 3116 Cat engines and it should provide a solid platform. Where I don't have a clue is on the quality/reliability of other major components such as transfer case, axles, hydraulic system etc. How prone are these components to fail? How expensive to fix?

I like the toaster strudel metaphor though. May be that's what I'll name the truck if I get one. :-D

• First question is what kind of camping are you trying to do? Utah and Arizona mostly. Off road. No RV parks. Rock and sandy terrain. May be Alaska in the future. Need to be self-sustainable for up to two weeks.
  • Next question is how much of the conversion work and maintenance are you planning to do? I plan on doing it all me lonely self.
  • Final question would be what's your budget (time/fiscal)? Up to 15K for the truck. The cab- not sure yet.

This is a fun exercise. Would like to hear more about what you have in mind for the project.

I searched a bit and saw a couple of Fusos modified for adventure camping. They seem like cool rigs. But looking at one next to the other, I am having a hard time putting them in the same universe. I share the concern of military vehicle lacking in, shall we say, modern comforts. :)

Seems like the Fuso is the more practical choice, where the 1078 is just flat cool.

Keep us all posted.
Here is a good thread on 4x4 Fuso RVs.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/9299-Mitsu-Fuso-Camper-examples

Modern conforts are very low on my priority list. I could bivouac on the bed of the truck if necessary.
The top priorities for me are reliability and off road worthiness.

I know of two companies that produce campers based on the 4x4 Fuso chassis. One of them is Australian and just recently started production here in the U.S.

http://earthcruiser.com/ delivers a complete truck. They call it the Outback. Costs almost $175K for the final product. Definitely out of my budget.

The other one is in Utah.

http://www.hostcampers.com/subs/Expedition/outback_explorer.html also delivers the complete truck. They call it the Outback Explorer. The cab comes with slide outs which is nice. Don't know how much they go for but I know its for **** sure out of my budget.

What I am saying is , you may want to lurk some more or ask on a Mitsubishi Fuso forum if they think an LMTV is better
Anyhow, I think you ask the wrong questions to the wrong people. We have what you dream of. And We would never dream of a Mitsubishi.
Oh and most of us refer to this vehicle as American made and not 'Murican'. Maybe not the right kind of language in order to make friends on a forum called steelsoldiers.
I am on it.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/152277-M1078-vx-Mitsubishi-FUSO-4x4

But I don,t think anyone there knows what a M1078 is.

The Expedition portal has a few members with Fuso based RV's. There is also at least one of them that I know which is in the process of building himself an expedition RV based on the 6x6 MTV. The man got his 6x6 straight from Oshkosh and plans on building a custom cab. Not really the way I want to go both financially and time wise.
I learned about this forum from reading his thread.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/116121-I-ve-been-doing-a-little-design-work

View attachment 600306

InitDesign6x6bae.jpg

Now don't wrap your panties in a bundle about the Murica thing.

Go with the Japanese product. The pros out weigh the cons.
Ok. Would you mind sharing more info on you come to your conclusion?

After watching an LMTV with the box on the back I think I would go with anything that wasn't so unstable. Yes, we had people at the GMVR this year that worked on them and basically said they roll too easy. Not necessarily all the way over but man, watching them go over a little dip in the road and seeing how far they go would keep me puckered up all the time.

If it were me I'd use a M939 truck. To me it seems far more suitable for off-road camping. Heck, you could even bob the thing and just have 4x4.
Great point. Never thought about the whole safety aspect of it as far as roll over proneness. How can the LMTVs be worse than the old 2 1/2 ton trucks?
When you say an M939 would be more suitable for off road camping, do you mean it is more off-road capable? Or just better suited to carrying a cab?

I had the same experience when asking buddies (Army) about LMTV or M939-series trucks. After disregarding their advice, my M929 experience has been a blast...BUT that's because it fits my plans of hauling scrap metal to the junkyard and stealing manure from local farms. I would be very interested in the FUSO's civilian accouterments if I were looking at an off-road RV.

If you were specifically looking at a surplus truck for an RV, though, I'd ask why you'd limit yourself to the M1078? Other trucks have boxes and any truck can be cleaned down to the frame and have a box or camper bolted on.
I am certainly open to recommendations on other MIL spec platforms. I like the M1078 due to its power and the cab-over design. The ground viewing angles from the cabin going off road are great but if I am not dead set on a that type of truck.

Lmtv772

Banned
To the OP:
You may want to consider this truck , then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvVYQkrTxbA

The mostly under estimated part of a custom build is how much it will cost.
There is no such thing as a budget. Whatever you plan on doing will be expensive and will take a bunch of funding for R&D to make it reliable in the field.
An LMTV maybe less expensive in the initial purchase, but getting it to the point of it being reliable, plus planning and fabrication of a RV module will be costly.
As I always say; The price of cool ain't cheap and goes up exponentially.

red

Hmmm, $200k+ for an Earth roamer or less than 1\10th of that for either setup that he is asking about.

To the OP do a search for "camper" on this site, there are many conversions done here using other platforms such as the m109, m818/m931 with a shelter on the back, m820/m934.... Will give you ideas and other things to consider.

red

You can't say less than 1/10th it's going to cost that much to purchase a LMTV and get it sorted.
My post was to point out your recommendation that, to build a custom camper is about the same price as buying one, is incorrect. People on this forum have proved that.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great point. Never thought about the whole safety aspect of it as far as roll over proneness. How can the LMTVs be worse than the old 2 1/2 ton trucks?
I mean from watching M35A2s, M809s and M939s articulate and run over bumps and seeing how bad a M1078 is when you put something in the back that raises the center of gravity there is no comparison. The LMTV is not as stable IMHO. Just guessing but say you are going around a corner and it has a slight angle to the outside of the turn and you hit a rock on the inside or a small bump. Unless you have really built a tall box on the box of anything but an LMTV you just go over it with a slight pucker factor. Go over it with an LMTV and a box on the back and that nice smooth suspension that people like may softly roll your butt down the hill.

If it were me I'd probably take and M813 and make the MWO mod for the Sprag with a manual transmission and start there or go with an M925A2 if I wanted auto.

Tango Zulu

I would disagree with the order in which to choose. Personally I find the vehicle to be more important than the cab/ living arrangements. Size wise both trucks are fairly similar. Basically I am looking for something that can house two people and remain self sustained for a few weeks at a time. Water carrying capacity, genset power, living arrangements etc are IMO secondary at this point.

SO much aftermarket support for the Mitsu I'd lean that way, but scottmandu is 100% correct.
True. Lots of aftermarket support. The reason for it is also because it's needed. In stock form the Fuso is not very off-road-capable. Suspension and bigger wheels are needed for sure. Then you can get fancy and install LSD's or diff locks. Also keep in mind that once you up the wheels on the Fuso you will have less effective torque at the wheels which will bog down the car even more over difficult terrain unless you change the gearing. This is one of the big drawbacks of the Fuso. I am not even sure it can negotiate sandy terrain without bogging down with some big wheels.

The appeal of the M1078 is that it does not require any of these upgrades. It should be far superior off road without any modifications. At least that's what I am thinking unless others here tell me that I am wrong.

I looked at both and chose the Lmtv. Lmtv is reliable, easy to maintain, large cab, regeared top speed 74mph, 8 mpg...
How does the re-gearing affect off road capability? As far as I know the transfer case on the M1078 is single speed so there is no low gear option. Have you ever tried driving through sand post re-gearing?
As far as your perception of reliability, I am glad to hear it. You seem to be one of the few who have that experience.

fuso in a heartbeat.
Based on what? Solely reliability?

I have a different take on the question of reliability based on how something is assembled. S&S might very well not have a resume in the business of building trucks but I think the assembly part is only one of may aspects in the production of the truck. You can somewhat bodge the assembly but if the major systems are based on quality components you can still have a long lasting product. I read on one of the threads here a member who claimed to work for Allison and he stated that the 3700 series transmissions on the M1078s were bulletproof. You couple that with the proven reliability of the 3116 Cat engines and it should provide a solid platform. Where I don't have a clue is on the quality/reliability of other major components such as transfer case, axles, hydraulic system etc. How prone are these components to fail? How expensive to fix?

I like the toaster strudel metaphor though. May be that's what I'll name the truck if I get one. :grin:

• First question is what kind of camping are you trying to do? Utah and Arizona mostly. Off road. No RV parks. Rock and sandy terrain. May be Alaska in the future. Need to be self-sustainable for up to two weeks.
  • Next question is how much of the conversion work and maintenance are you planning to do? I plan on doing it all me lonely self.
  • Final question would be what's your budget (time/fiscal)? Up to 15K for the truck. The cab- not sure yet.

I searched a bit and saw a couple of Fusos modified for adventure camping. They seem like cool rigs. But looking at one next to the other, I am having a hard time putting them in the same universe. I share the concern of military vehicle lacking in, shall we say, modern comforts. :smile:

Keep us all posted.
Here is a good thread on 4x4 Fuso RVs.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/9299-Mitsu-Fuso-Camper-examples

Modern conforts are very low on my priority list. I could bivouac on the bed of the truck if necessary.
The top priorities for me are reliability and off road worthiness.

I know of two companies that produce campers based on the 4x4 Fuso chassis. One of them is Australian and just recently started production here in the U.S.

http://earthcruiser.com

Delivers a complete truck. They call it the Outback. Costs almost $175K for the final product. Definitely out of my budget.

The other one is in Utah.

http://www.hostcampers.com/subs/Expedition/outback_explorer.html

Also delivers the complete truck. They call it the Outback Explorer. The cab comes with slide outs which is nice. Don't know how much they go for but I know its for **** sure out of my budget.

Great point. Never thought about the whole safety aspect of it as far as roll over proneness. How can the LMTVs be more prone to rolling over than the old 2 1/2 ton trucks?
And why do you recommend a M939 instead? More reliable? More off road capable?

I am open to other MIL spec platforms or other platforms in general. I just like cab overs so would prefer something of that nature.

What I am saying is , you may want to lurk some more or ask on a Mitsubishi Fuso forum if they think an LMTV is better
I am on it.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/152277-M1078-vx-Mitsubishi-FUSO-4x4

But I don't think anyone there has a clue about Mil spec vehicles.
The Expedition portal has a few members with Fuso based RV's. There is also at least one of them that I know which is in the process of building himself an expedition RV based on the 6x6 MTV. The man got his 6x6 straight from Oshkosh and plans on building a custom cab. Not really the way I want to go both financially and time wise.
I learned about this forum from reading his thread.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/116121-I-ve-been-doing-a-little-design-work

BAE 6x6.jpg

InitDesign6x6bae.jpg

And the Murica thing is an endearing term of our country. Not a demeaning one. Don't wrap your panties in a bundle.

redwhiteblue_zpsxbxl2noj.jpg

Go with the Japanese product. The pros out weigh the cons.
Ok. Would you mind sharing more info on how you come to your conclusion?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks