• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slipping out of high

jesusgatos

Believe it or not... this is another case of poor engineering! (and they didnt' build only a few...!!!) :shock:
If you ever have a chance to disassemble a TC popping out of high range, take a closer look to the worn surfaces between shift collar and gear splines. You will find out they are wedge-shaped, worn towards the tip and never contacted more than the first half of the total spline lenght! And they never could engage any better because of the dimensions given to the synchro hub and widht/depht of splined gear, only allowing for half of the needed travel!
A possible remedy would be grind away at least 1/16" of the gear's face for better engagement and flip the synchro unit on its shaft, since the low range side usually doesn't wear out that fast. The problem is that once those small teeth are worn out they act as little wedges forcing the collar out. Grinding the surfaces flat one by one using a dremel is the only real cure to "save" an expensive part.
But... is it worth the effort? NO, as long as you can get good take outs (sprag units included since the referred parts are the same).

Just my 2cents

Gerhard
So should I than retract and edit my earlier statement about NOT being worth the effort....? :)
I just removed the seal retainers on my new air-shift transfer-case, and now I'm thinking that I might as well take a look inside to see what kind of shape it's in. Can you please tell me what I should be looking for (condition of parts) and what parts (seals, shims, etc.) I should have on-hand (so that I can put it all back together)? What TM best-addresses the transfer-case rebuild? And as far as improving the gear-mesh goes, I wouldn't mind spending the time on it if I knew what the heck I was doing...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before deciding to dig into it deeper, remove the 4bolt top cover. (careful, the shift rod poppet spring is under compression and wants to jump out!)

Shifting into LOW will leave the HIGH RANGE synchro dogs exposed and clearly visible. To be able to inspect the LOW RANGE dogs (when shifted into HIGH) you will need a small telescopic mirror (or dental m.) (see 1st and 2nd pic, respectively)

Dog faces/edges should appear parallel with no signs of wear or tips severely chipped. If they look OK I would not open it. But if you find them like the ones shown in the 3rd pic your TC might be popping out of gear and either needs parts replaced or restored, which certainly isn't a job for beginners...

Try to post some pics of what you got.

G.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...................... wish I had looked at my old one before I sold it. :)
No problem, I will do it for you once I get it into my hands...:smile:

BTW, for those swapping out their sprag T-cases: might check them as described before sending them to the scrap-yard!.... or take a closer look inside that nice takeout air-shift replacement TC of "unknown condition" before buying/installing...;)

Remember, only the front drive section and rear output shafts are different, all other parts are identical and interchangeable between both models. Don't let good old usable parts be converted into cheap-new Chin-tools...., or even more lethal stuff........!:x

G.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... your Air-shift: not to bad regarding wear. Possibly mis-treated, judging by the chipped tips.
A complete rebuild would depend on condition of low range side and bearings in general. For peace of mind and if you have the time now........ it sure is a lot of work and a great learning experience too! (TM 9-2520-246-34 and -34P will be your best friends! :))

- your Sprag-TC: looks like it could be a very good donor for those expensive spare parts, + some shims too!

G.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got the seals, but I don't have any gaskets for the input seal retainer, or the top cover.........................
Guess it's time to start a new threat now ... or PM me, since this is getting a bit off-topic now !:roll:
How about: TLC for the TC.... or: T-case Seal & Gasket service.... or....

(You will sure get a lot of responses and good tips to both your Qs.)

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks