• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Series 5 ton as Daily Driver?

71DeuceAK

Inspired by the "Deuce as a Daily Driver" thread, how many members drive their 939 series 5 ton every day, more or less everywhere they go? I'm considering getting one myself and daily-driving it. Just wondering what the numbers are for everyone else who does?

I'm thinking it'll be unique, with smiles-per-mile for one thing. Plus with a M923A2 I should get about 10-12MPG, no? That's not too shabby compared to some older cars!

I'm thinking better cab heat, stereo, and maybe a more comfortable driver's seat. Thoughts?

BTW: This would possibly entail a 2 hour commute anyway. (Each weekend). In the winter. In Alaska. Between Delta Junction and Fairbanks.

Thoughts?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It's a lot of maintenance and the cab is drafty. I wouldn't want to rely on it for a daily driver especially in Alaska. Or for a 2 hour commute which would become a 3 hour tour in the military truck.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have a stereo and air ride seat in my truck. If I had to take a military truck on a long drive it would be in a lmtv though. Especially in the cold the cab heater is amazing.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Both of my M939A2 trucks have air ride seats and radios. I take good care of my trucks but I wouldn't rely on them for a long cold drive to work. I have a Toyota for that. The military trucks are just not practical and fuel gets expensive. If you must you could probably do it in a humvee.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If that's what you really want to do then by all means you should do it. Just carry supplies in case you break down in the cold. The lmtv will come with a good heater and comfortable seating out of the box though.

71DeuceAK

I was thinking "Supplies" on board for sure. A decent selection of necessary tools is going to be essential, along with stuff like oil "Diaper" rags, etc. Knowing my intentions, friends (Who are familiar with Deuces and M809 series 5 tons and 939 series 5 tons) started gifting me with all sorts of flashlights and those little pocket-size multi-tool things at Christmas as gag gifts: "Then you will need these for sure" :rofl:

JohnnyBM931A2

-Fully seal cab as tight as possible, and you might want to add more insulation
-Add another heater, fuel fired would probably be best
-Install a block heater, and maybe things line fuel line heaters, battery heaters, and fuel filter heaters

That's a good start. Just make sure you start out with a good hardtop truck that has minimal issues. You will probably need to put additives in your diesel as well, to prevent gelling at the extreme low temperatures that your truck will encounter.

71DeuceAK

All good thoughts! Weatherstripping around windows/windshields? (except maybe driver's side window in case it needs to be rolled down quickly)
-extra insulation could be done in the hard top easily...that pink or blue foam stuff.

tim292stro

Due to the higher likelihood of an off-road misadventure up there, I'd recommend starting with a ROPS/ABS high-top if you can get one.

You will likely never get the cab fully airtight (especially with driving winds or what highway speeds the truck can manage) so you're going to be fighting that with heaters pumping constantly. Like water, pressurized air follows the path of least resistance - to help out with the drafts you will want to over-pressurize the cab a bit (may need up to 5"H2O/12.5milibar with a driven wind at road speed) so your heat blows out and cold/moisture can't blow in without being processed.

Lots of insulation, extra heaters (electric/ceramic or fuel-fired hot-air), and warm clothing on hand if you end up in a ditch.

Can anyone up there around you do spray foam? You can get it to fill in nooks and crannies better, then once shaped, you can cover it with something "pretty" like canvas or Temper Tent Vinyl that matches the truck - which would serve to protect the foam a bit too from wear and damage. That would be better IMHO than cutting/pasting sheet insulation - of course that may be out of your budget (time/cash).

As someone who has done a fair share of building thermal modeling, I can tell you after air infiltration, glass is going to be your second biggest place to lose heat to the outside - as it's generally harder to insulate than the cab metal itself. In general putting a coating on a windshield or front-side window is not allowed, but if you can get away from it, an IR blocking film on a thick clear vinyl carrier would reflect more heat back into the cab and provide a measure of thermal break.

71DeuceAK

Great ideas! I don't know about spray foam since I don't live there yet (Although I do live in Alaska, but not the "cold" part yet). But good ideas on something other than foam board!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Spend the $300 for the tools needed to change a flat. I got em all from harbor freight. Jacks, Impact, sockets, cribbing, and air line.

Yes get an air ride seat or a couple of chiropractors on call. You still may need him even with an air ride... I drove mine to work 20miles ea way for about 2 weeks. Yea. My lower back was in horrid pain... 6ft pot holes as well. Yeah tools will be helpful. Have a spare set of belts, hoses, filters, rotella, and the kitchen sink.

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great ideas! I don't know about spray foam since I don't live there yet (Although I do live in Alaska, but not the "cold" part yet). But good ideas on something other than foam board!
Spray form holds moisture and will create rust problems fairly quick.

71DeuceAK

"A couple chiropractors on call" I love it! Yeah, I kinda remember for a short while you were driving your '84 M923A1 quite a bit. Did you ever end up selling out?

71DeuceAK

Depends on your definition of what constitutes cold I guess. The southeast "Panhandle", where I live currently, is closer to Canada than the rest of Alaska, and the climate is pretty much like the Pacific Northwest/Seattle but a little more extreme and a little colder. It varies drastically within just a few miles at times but I live just a few miles from the second wettest place on earth (On record/average, etc) and get lots of rain, regardless of the season. Summers can easily get up into the 70s for highs and winters have been in single digits bit never below freezing. So compared to many places, the winters here are really mild.

Now, Fairbanks, where I'll be living while going to school, is indeed "Alaska" in terms of winters. But the summers can get up in the triple digits!

I'll be moving there in August or September so more or less summer, but may end up first getting a MV in the winter months (Knowing how my situation is). I can see needing a block heater for sure, as well as SOMETHING for heating that cab. A/C I can live without, at least at first. I mean, after all, part of the "fun" of having one of these as a daily driver is going to be the lack of some creature comforts!

I may start with a Deuce, and I'm sure after daily driving THAT for awhile a 939 series 5 ton will be a nice "upgrade" with the automatic transmission, power steering, etc.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I still think something like a M1078 would be all around good. Nice ride, warm cab with 3 full size bucket seats plus extra storage room and weatherstripping around doors to keep the cold out. Although I dont, I could daily drive mine and be ok with it. I dont how the school would feel about me dropping off my kids with it every morning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks