• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton Bobsled, Recovery assistance near Berkeley Springs WV

WV New Guy

Got 5 Ton all squared away pull a jeep uphill last night . Things didn't go so well at 0600 tried to make the hill from my house to the main road . Started sliding backwards and turned the 5 ton into a bobsled . At least she didn't go over ! Pics are taken from uphill side . Anyone with a Deuce or 5 ton in the Berkeley Springs Hagerstown area that wants a free tank of fuel and steak dinner I'm gonna need some recovery help!

Attachments

Last edited:

AZK9

5tonbobsled.jpg
If you could get your hands on two (2) powerful electric winch/deep cycle battery sets...
maybe you could hook up to a couple of thick, heavy-duty trees and pull it out across the road.

AZK9

You might even find it easier to pull it backwards in this direction.

5tonbobsled-2.jpg

Whatever you do... be SUPER careful.

Keep us posted! Good luck. [thumbzup]

WV New Guy

Tried to drive it down to the right cause it flattens out and then drive it out but it's not going anywhere right now . Got a Neighbor down the road about 5 miles that works on my chevy he has a 923A1 and 2 M35A3s so I'm gonna go see him as soon as I can get my pick up out but the snow is at least 4 ft deep now those pics were at 0800. I know we have gotten at least 24-30 inches since then . Gonna try the more straight up the hill if I can once the road is down to hard pack but that might not be till next weekend .Guess I really should've held out a wrecker thanks for all the ideas

Another Ahab

It's not going to feel good for you until you get that truck out of that spot and back to the house, but at least it's not busted up or anything.

Not ideal of course but even if it has to sit there for a week, it should be good; don't you think?

Last edited:

AZK9

If you could find 2 friends with electric winch/battery sets, then you probably manage
to extract it from that spot. With that much snow on the ground... other vehicles could
end up in the same situation as your 5 ton is in.

I you do decide to connect a winch, make sure the connection point on the tree(s) is low
near the tree base. If you can find a way to have gravity work for you... that would help.

Again, wish I could help. Keep us posted. [thumbzup]

Another Ahab

Aha you willing to do a rode trip next weekend ? I will cover your fuel and feed you ?
Are your talking to me, WV New Guy? That's a great offer and you're a good man to make the offer:

- I'd help if I could but I sold my deuce a while back, and if I tried to pull you out with the old BMW 323i (2000) that I drive now then we'd just BOTH be stuck in that ditch.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This is coming from an old transportation soldier that has never recovered a truck in deep snow like that but I did take the Army "Vehicle Recovery and Evacuation" course. I've recovered a lot of them from mud and once off the side of a mountain in Korea.

I would get a like sized vehicle with some serious ballast in the bed behind it and I would pull it out from the rear. You will need either a winch truck or some some steel cable with hooks and clevises.

Your big concern is not to let it go further in the ditch behind you. To that end I would attach a snatch block to one of the trees in the background (on the opposite side of the road) and pull your truck toward the trees using a cable ran through the snatch block. You need to get it back in the center of the road or you're just going to repeat what you have now.

Hope it works out well.

WV New Guy

Yeah it should be good it's supposed to warm up to 45 by next weekend if I could just pull it up hill or straight would be the trick I'm the road is on the left and I'm almost off the bank . Sorry didn't see you sold your truck . Theirs a couple other guys up here on the mountain that have 5 tons that used to be members on here waiting to hear back from them to further formulate a plan .

Artisan

I have some 12 pairs of matching snow chains for 1400 tires
left that will make that beast crawl out of that hole in 30
seconds I bet w/o any help. Yea, you will need to install
them first. Not a big deal for a couple men and some
hot totties. They ship USPS flat rate, one chain per box.
PM me if you want them. You need them.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I'm here local but it took 4 hours tonight just to open up the driveway to the secondary road....less than 1/8 th mile. Snow is every bit of mid thigh on me and most folks know I ain't that short.

Dad said this is the worst individual snow storm he's had here in his area in 46 years. They had a few back to back storms but they've always been a few days apart.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Hey CARNAC I didn't know were relocating up to the Mid-Atlantic, I don't go to Harrisonburg much for any reason but it sure would be fun to connect with you around here someday. Who knows!?

Now if we all could just figure an easy way to get WV New Guy out of his fix here.

Amer-team

Is it stuck in the mud along the ditch line? Is it an A2? Did you air the tires down a bit? If you have that much snow, and a neighbor with a couple of trucks, looks like your best bet is to wait till conditions improve. Looks like it is safe and that others could get by if they have to. I have pulled a couple of trucks in situations like that in the mountains, but we had a D6 and 988 loader to tie on with. Used the 988 as a movable anchor on the real and the D6 to pull. We rigged in much the same fashion as AZK9 redline picture. Those trees don't look like much for anchor points.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks