• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transmission problems

USMCWARWAGON

Hey guys, I need some help. Forgive me for not knowing technical terms. I was using my deuce the other day to drag some small pine tree, after I was finished dragging the pines I was backing down my driveway, I pushed in the clutch to take it out of reverse and to put in first gear, I heard a pop (not loud) and the shifter went into the 5th gear position. I tried to take it out of the 5th gear position and it wouldn't budge. No matter what I do, I couldn't get it to move. I pulled the top cover off of the transmission. The gears look good (look almost new). What I did notice is that the shifter (shift forks) are in a bind somehow. Shifter is stuck in 5th gear position. The shift forks look good (not bent or broken), the rods that the forks are attached to look good also. I noticed that the guide plate (plate that has two springs and the shifter appears to ride in) has been broken in a spot. Another problem that I noticed was that the transmission was dangerously low in fluid. With the top plate off the transmission, I started up the deuce and let up on the clutch and it bogs down and dies (makes me think that the trans is still in 5th gear). I am able to move the most rear gear forward and let off the clutch (while engine is running) and it goes into neutral. I'm not sure if I can replace the rods that the shift forks are attached to, and the plate with the two springs, or if I need to replace the whole transmission.

I will post pictures this weekend.

Sorry I couldn't explain it better.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does your truck have a sprag transfer case or air shift?

Edit: I was thinking of something else but its a 5 ton issue with driveline bind...not applicable to this. Sorry, its been a long day.

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were you using the front winch and backing up?

Edit: I see G helped you find the problem. Fantastic! :beer:

I was using my winch once when I was stuck and still had it winding in when I put it in reverse. This caused the transmission to fight itself by trying to provide torque to the winch to pull myself forward and then torque to try to pull myself backward with the drive wheels. This caused my transmission to act like it was stuck in reverse, but it was only the binding between the two. I managed to get it out of reverse and just never did that again. No damage.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, that shift plate is hardened steel and it can happen that just one small tab of it breaks off, allowing two gears to be engaged at the same time, which obviously locks-up the transmission.

So, NO you don't need a new transmission, of course; it is just stuck in gear. Pull the (front)synchronizer hub forward toget it free, out of 5th.

Contact Tom (m-35tom) or Memphis for a spare parts and fix that shifter. TM 9-2520-246-341-1, page 2-80

G.

74M35A2

Were you using the front winch and backing up?Edit: I see G helped you find the problem. Fantastic! :beer:I was using my winch once when I was stuck and still had it winding in when I put it in reverse. This caused the transmission to fight itself by trying to provide torque to the winch to pull myself forward and then torque to try to pull myself backward with the drive wheels. This caused my transmission to act like it was stuck in reverse, but it was only the binding between the two. I managed to get it out of reverse and just never did that again. No damage.
Only a hillbilly would try to go forward and backward at the same time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks