• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I think I broke the oil filter canister bolt!!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK, I am assuming the bolt head shouldn't come off like this...................

And I was just tightening it with a 1/2" ratchet (no crazy impact wrench)...and "snap".

Looks like I have to decide who's filter upgrade I want!! rofl

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like it's just pressed in the tube, hence the o-ring for a seal. That would be tough to fix. The weld...tig or braze, would be where the seal washer sits. Maybe drill it, use a roll pin then tig it.

DanMartin

I would drill a few holes in the sides of the shaft where the top presses in, press in the top again, then rosette weld through the hole. Grind off the rosettes for a clean look, and you're good.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Clint at least the heads are not leaking... I like the idea of welding it myself. But then I like to weld. The canisters are a PIA but I am sticking with them until after I get the Overson hubs..$$$

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Mucho extra special grande gracias to AlphaDeltaRomeo, who kindly offered up his old bolt and canister he had leftover since he has converted to spin-on's-he even met me near work on my lunch break.

Without his quick assistance, I wouldn't have gotten back on the road for the great 2007 mulch party.

Much thanks to RDixieMiller who also offered up a replacement.

Much thanks and thanks to all that make up our great community here.

:beer:

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am a bit of an expert on those bolts after doing my filter adapter kits. I have seen a few like that, but about two thirds of the bolts I have dealt with are that style with the end brazed on. Somebody sold me a set at Aberdeen that had the same problem as you too. I end up decapitating the bolts for my kits.

BEASTMASTER

1/2" ratchet is way to much leverage.use a short 5/8 wrench,snug em ,if it leaks, loosen them and turn the cover, and snug em down again. it works for me :driver:

canadian guy

I've gone and broke my oil canister bolt in my engine...I got the pcs out of engine with no issues,but I am also now looking for replacement bolts if I could get pointed in the right direction please and thanx

welldigger

I've gone and broke my oil canister bolt in my engine...I got the pcs out of engine with no issues,but I am also now looking for replacement bolts if I could get pointed in the right direction please and thanx
I think I may have a couple in the shed you can have for the price of shipping.